+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of English Language requirements: IGCSE and A-level certificates suffice?

sammy_2401

Star Member
Jan 18, 2014
Hi,

I am applying for Citizenship. Regarding English language requirements, I got a letter from Principal of my secondary school stating that all subjects are taught in this school in English language and that the student completed secondary education. This letter together with Cambridge UK based secondary education (IGCSE) and Edexcel A-Level certificates and transcripts, would these be sufficient proof of meeting English language requirements.

Any suggestions, thanks in advance.

Regards.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You never know what CIC officer will think when will open the application package. Many applicants reported CIC returned application for language proof even having certificates like yours.. So the only safe way to take CELPIP test with $150..

Ecuanada

Mar 16, 2014
A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in Canada or abroad. or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation, in Canada or abroad.
Note: Student identification cards and letters from institutions, teachers, principals are not accepted as official education records. For example, an official transcript from an educational institution would satisfy this requirement.
I took these quotes from cic.gc.ca, look for apply to become Canadian citizen, once there scroll down click on get application package, then the link for the adult form, finally you'll see instruction guide, click on it and it will open a new page with lists: Gather documents, scroll down and go to point 4: Education records

jujuberanch

Mar 26, 2013
Not sure where you got the idea of the "only safe way" to prove language abilities. If OP has a diploma from a secondary or post-secondary school in an English/French speaking country, then he/she is good to go. Unless the official or de facto official language of the country where OP received his/her education is not English or French, I'd recommend him/her to take one of those designated tests.

rayman_m said:
You never know what CIC officer will think when will open the application package. Many applicants reported CIC returned application for language proof even having certificates like yours.. So the only safe way to take CELPIP test with $150..