+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of cohabitation

Anna007

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Vancouver
Hi everyone.
My boyfriend and I are planning to apply under common law after living together for a year(we started living together 6 month ago) I changed my address on some documents but it looks like its not enough to proof cohabitation. My bf bought his place before we met and he is paying mortgage. I think it is important to send one of these
  • Proof of joint ownership of residential property
  • Rental agreement showing both of you and your sponsor as occupants of a residential property.

What can we send in this case if he is the one who is paying mortgage and basically owns the property while I just live with him.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
He should add your name to a few of the utility bills. And you should make sure you get your bills (phone, bank, credit card, etc) delivered to this address. In addition, you should add each other to your bank accounts, so you can easily submit bank statements showing that you both paid for normal living expenses such as utilities and groceries.

That will be sufficient to prove cohabitation. He can't just add you to the mortgage easily, and that's perfectly understandable - you don't have to own a house together.

Reactions: Anna007

Anna007

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Vancouver
He should add your name to a few of the utility bills. And you should make sure you get your bills (phone, bank, credit card, etc) delivered to this address. In addition, you should add each other to your bank accounts, so you can easily submit bank statements showing that you both paid for normal living expenses such as utilities and groceries.

That will be sufficient to prove cohabitation. He can't just add you to the mortgage easily, and that's perfectly understandable - you don't have to own a house together.
Thank you. That makes things more clear!