+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of citizenship taking awhile

MerLrx

Jun 10, 2022
Looking for anyone else who might have a similar experience

My son was born in Singapore and his father is Canadian who was born in Canada. From what I read online he is automatically a Canadian citizen just without proof so therefore I applied proof of citizenship since last year June. its been about 6 months and the only thing I've gotten is a AOR which says if its approved the documents will be in the mail. anyone has any timeline of a similar experience they can share

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Looking for anyone else who might have a similar experience

My son was born in Singapore and his father is Canadian who was born in Canada. From what I read online he is automatically a Canadian citizen just without proof so therefore I applied proof of citizenship since last year June. its been about 6 months and the only thing I've gotten is a AOR which says if its approved the documents will be in the mail. anyone has any timeline of a similar experience they can share
Yes, unfortunately can take quite a while.

Note that if you are not in Canada, you can apply for a (temporary) passport for the child - it will have a validitiy of a year or two, and then you replace when the citizenship is filed. While there are general instructions, contact the embassy/consulate/high commission. They will probably require roughly the same documents as the citizenshp certificate (proof of parentage, proof of citizenship of one of the parents, etc), and/or may ask for copy of the citizenship certificate application.

If you need to travel to Canada and can enter USA, the child can actually just cross at a land border from USA and present as a Canadian citizen (birth certificate, citizenship of parent should be enough to convince the border officer that the child is a citizen, and/or the copy of citizenship cert app).

can6777

Feb 3, 2023
I posted on the Proof of Citizenship Timeline thread with the details of my case. It went from no update since August 18, 2022 to Complete just a few days ago. I applied in July 2022 but my situation is a little simpler than yours, which might be why it's taking a bit longer.