+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of citizen returning to Canada?

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Hi there.

Just working on my application for my wife.

I understand that one of the requirements would be proof of returning to Canada. As it stands once we are approved we will be returning to Canada to live, at the start perhaps living with some relatives until I secure my own place. (Which is hard to do now especially in covid times, since no clue on when the application will be approved.)

Which would be construed as "definitive" proof that would help the application? I understand I can show companies of jobs that I might have sent resumes too for work, although at this point my financial and stability is not a concern based on my savings and investments in Canadian banks.

Notes from my family? Just trying to get an idea on what would be a good way to make sure I don't have issues.

Also another question is at this point in time, how long after my PR is approved do I have to actually travel to Canada. Doesn't seem clear on their website and I only find outdated forum posts that say one year so not entirely sure if it's accurate.

Thank you ahead of time!

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Letters from your Canadian family, proof you've applied to jobs in Canada, proof you've looked for housing in Canada, etc.

For your wife to get PR your intent must be to return to Canada with her. There's no specific time requirement for you per se, but your wife would need to land before her COPR expires or within one year of her medical exam, whichever comes first.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Alright thank you. That sounds reasonable. Any suggestions for me. Currently she has a job here in the Philippines and we are going to try and wait to see where she will be transferred to when she does a lateral move to their Canadian division. We are working on that now. It's a really big international company but until she's approved, she was told to not apply since without a TRV, they wouldn't be able to hire her. For me at this point I am self employed and will start looking for either a job or a new existence when and wherever her job would take us. This is very important to her.

I don't mind waiting but it's going to be kind of difficult to know exactly where to indicate I am going to "live" when it could be in Calgary, Toronto, Fredericton, etc. as there are many sites. As soon as I know when we will be approved approximately she will work her magic to get moved and then I can start finding a new career as desired since I haven't lived in Canada in 14 years.

At I mentioned, I could live decently for years on my investments so finances are not a major issue, just being able to indicate something like the above in a way that won't have a negative impact on my TRV app for being "vague" etc.

I have a few relatives that have already indicated they would house me short term until I was established so I suppose the letter route from my family / friends might work there as long as their is a site near to someone I know who would offer to help just trying to figure out the best strategy.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alright thank you. That sounds reasonable. Any suggestions for me. Currently she has a job here in the Philippines and we are going to try and wait to see where she will be transferred to when she does a lateral move to their Canadian division. We are working on that now. It's a really big international company but until she's approved, she was told to not apply since without a TRV, they wouldn't be able to hire her. For me at this point I am self employed and will start looking for either a job or a new existence when and wherever her job would take us. This is very important to her.

I don't mind waiting but it's going to be kind of difficult to know exactly where to indicate I am going to "live" when it could be in Calgary, Toronto, Fredericton, etc. as there are many sites. As soon as I know when we will be approved approximately she will work her magic to get moved and then I can start finding a new career as desired since I haven't lived in Canada in 14 years.

At I mentioned, I could live decently for years on my investments so finances are not a major issue, just being able to indicate something like the above in a way that won't have a negative impact on my TRV app for being "vague" etc.

I have a few relatives that have already indicated they would house me short term until I was established so I suppose the letter route from my family / friends might work there as long as their is a site near to someone I know who would offer to help just trying to figure out the best strategy.
At this point, it doesn't matter where you both indicated where you both going to live. Once the documents are finalised, both of you can choose the location to live (regardless what you indicated previously).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Would look at previous examples of how people have been told they need more information to prove that your will be returning to Canada. The fact that you have been out of Canada for so long and are self-employed you will need quite a lot of proof that you are relocating. Confirmation of your wife's transfer request would be good proof.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Proof of intent to return typically involves two elements:

- Severing of ties in the other country, by doing such things as contacting estate agents for sale of homes, shipping company for transfer of belongings, employers for either resignation or transfer to Canada, amongst other things;

- Establishment of ties in Canada, including job search or employment offers, home purchase or seeking rental accommodations, or alternative housing arrangements, and others.

There are dozens and dozens of threads on "proof of intent to return" so do search the forum for more examples. Your proof does not need to be concrete (ie, actual resignation letters) but could be transfer requests, or letters from employers acknowledging that your wife will move when the visa is granted.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Thanks for all the replies..

At this point, she wants to wait to apply for the position until the visa would be approved. I can apply and indicate I will be living with relatives (Which would be truthful, until I found my own place in wherever her job takes her) in the meantime. Definitely can get her management to write a letter to say they will be helping her get a post in Canada once the visa is approved. I guess the biggest issue is proving or making them comfortable that I will come back as I really want to relocate to whichever part of Canada she will end up working at, so kind of tough to look for jobs definitely until I know for sure.

Really appreciate the details here folks.

Last edited:

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Just another quick one here. If I am not going to go back to Canada until my wife gets hired she wont be able to try until the visa is required, how could I ensure they know that once I am going to go back I will start looking for work in wherever I end up. I can survive without income for a while and she will have some when we land. It's just pointless to do it before I know for sure where and when we will be. Can I just send some inquiries and show them that ?

And for the rental / letters same thing. My relatives (brother) have already informed that at least for a short - medium we can stay with him. Would a letter from him stating our intentions be good proof?

Just a bit hesitating to submit and app without a good deal of proof of my intentions to come home.

Would they also factor in the pandemic and the volatile political environment here as well? (Philipppines)

Thanks for putting up with me :)