+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Canadian citizenship

lilacsouls

Nov 2, 2009
Hi,

I've applied proof of Candian citizenship for my son who was born abroad in July 2008. It's now almost 16 months and my son's case has not completed yet. I called Immigration officer last week. They told me the reason for delays is because the way I obtained Canadian citizenship is abnormal, and then they need more time on processing his case (my son's). What the heck?? I know the new Canadian citizen law take into effect this year but it would not affect my case since I was permanent residence and then become Canadian (first generation). It is so weird. I'm going to bring my son to Canada this Christmas. Anyone has ideas? Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should be able to get a temporary Canadian passport for him at the embassy even though you don't have the citizenship certificate yet. Getting the certificate generally takes a long time, 12-15 months is normal.

lilacsouls

Nov 2, 2009
Temporary Canadian passport is only for child under age of 2. My son is now 2.5 years old. That is my problem.
Thanks for your response, Leon

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lilacsouls said:
Temporary Canadian passport is only for child under age of 2. My son is now 2.5 years old. That is my problem.
Not anymore, read: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

PMM

lilacsouls

Nov 2, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

lilacsouls said:
Not anymore, read: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

PMM
Thanks PMM, that's so wonderful. I'm extremely excited. Seems I found the way out. Thank you/

shmuhahaha

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lilacsouls said:
Hi,

I've applied proof of Candian citizenship for my son who was born abroad in July 2008. It's now almost 16 months and my son's case has not completed yet. I called Immigration officer last week. They told me the reason for delays is because the way I obtained Canadian citizenship is abnormal, and then they need more time on processing his case (my son's). What the heck?? I know the new Canadian citizen law take into effect this year but it would not affect my case since I was permanent residence and then become Canadian (first generation). It is so weird. I'm going to bring my son to Canada this Christmas. Anyone has ideas? Please help.
Thanks in advance.

The following is the timeline for my kid's citizenship certificate application(in reverse Chronological Order)
I'm still waiting to receive the citizenship certficate through mail.

Citizenship Certificate Sent to Detroit Consulate - December 18, 2009
Application Completed - December 18, 2009
IN process - December 1, 2009
Acknowledgement sent on Nov 4 2009
Application Checked for Payment- around Nov 3, 2009
Application Received at Processing office - June 11, 2009
Application Submitted at Detroit Consulate - May 28, 2009

Apr 10, 2014
I want to get an update on this. I am canadian citizen and have a son born outside of canada. He is 7 months old now. I have sponsored my wife who is now permanent resident. They are both in russia right now and i am in canada. Can anyone tell me if this temporary passport is still valid. If yes, will it be possible to bring my son over here on temporary passport while we are waiting for his proof of citiEnship? Thanks