+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of 1 year cohabitation (are these sufficient?)

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Hi, I would like to know if my proof of 1 year continuous cohabitation are sufficient or if not being included on his job health insurance could be penalizing. Honestly I didn’t know that as just his girlfriend I could be added as beneficiary (!!!). Of course I have lots of proof of relationship but here is what I have for cohabitation:

- Joint bank account (no statements, I never needed to use that credit card, I have my own)

- My name on the rental agreement

- A couple of letters from the bank delivered to me at our same address

- Water utilities (but not me actually paying bills as I couldn’t work in Canada and living with my savings)

- Notary common law declaration once we complete 1 year (in 4 days we will complete 1 year cohabitation, any advices on this step? Would you suggest to go get one? Any info about the cost?)

NOTE: I will be applying OUTLAND from Italy once we complete 1 year and I fly back to my home country.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi, I would like to know if my proof of 1 year continuous cohabitation are sufficient or if not being included on his job health insurance could be penalizing. Honestly I didn’t know that as just his girlfriend I could be added as beneficiary (!!!). Of course I have lots of proof of relationship but here is what I have for cohabitation:

- Joint bank account (no statements, I never needed to use that credit card, I have my own)

- My name on the rental agreement

- A couple of letters from the bank delivered to me at our same address

- Water utilities (but not me actually paying bills as I couldn’t work in Canada and living with my savings)

- Notary common law declaration once we complete 1 year (in 4 days we will complete 1 year cohabitation, any advices on this step? Would you suggest to go get one? Any info about the cost?)

NOTE: I will be applying OUTLAND from Italy once we complete 1 year and I fly back to my home country.
How can my common-law partner and I prove we have been together for 12 months?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Thanks but I’ve read that many many times already. My question was more related to beneficiary on his health plan and if could be penalizing not to have that specific requirement.
No, it's not. You have other proofs.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks but I’ve read that many many times already. My question was more related to beneficiary on his health plan and if could be penalizing not to have that specific requirement.
It is not a specific requirement, merely an example of what can be used. A vast amount of people don't even have extended benefits from work.

What do you have besides the rental agreement that covers at least one year?

I wouldn't bother with the common-law declaration.

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
It is not a specific requirement, merely an example of what can be used. A vast amount of people don't even have extended benefits from work.

What do you have besides the rental agreement that covers at least one year?

I wouldn't bother with the common-law declaration.
I (we) have a joint back account since 2016 (but we have never used the credit card related to it, I have saving and I have my own credit cards of my Italian bank). Letters from the bank sent to me at our same address.

We also have water utilities

And I think that’s it as for cohabitation.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Hi there,
It seems to be good enough.

In any case, if it's possible to add your name to your partner's insurance do it, but if not it's fine.

In regard to the common-law declaration, check your Document Checklist as I think it is actually required, it's called "Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union". If so, if you have a Multicultural Centre in your city, their Commisionaire of Oath should do it for free.

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Hi there,
It seems to be good enough.

In any case, if it's possible to add your name to your partner's insurance do it, but if not it's fine.

In regard to the common-law declaration, check your Document Checklist as I think it is actually required, it's called "Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union". If so, if you have a Multicultural Centre in your city, their Commisionaire of Oath should do it for free.
Thanks for your reply. I didn’t think about looking for multicultural centres that do that for free. I am in Vancouver so I hope there’s one :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
It's not required unless there is a co-signer on the app, which doesn't apply to spouse/common-law apps.

So it's entirely optional to do one.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
It's not required unless there is a co-signer on the app, which doesn't apply to spouse/common-law apps.

So it's entirely optional to do one.
Hi there, are you sure ? Did it change ? Because up to less than a year ago it was mandatory, regardless of the co-signer. I would check the checklist just in case.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi there, are you sure ? Did it change ? Because up to less than a year ago it was mandatory, regardless of the co-signer. I would check the checklist just in case.
This form has never been mandatory, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

In latest common-law application package, I don't even think they include any reference to the stat declaration anymore as they know no co-signer is possible.

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
yiur missing facebook messages to each other,text to each other,picture,nortarized letters from friends and family plus land lord to prove you live together plus gift recipts if you have a pet vet recipts with your names on it

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
yiur missing facebook messages to each other,text to each other,picture,nortarized letters from friends and family plus land lord to prove you live together plus gift recipts if you have a pet vet recipts with your names on it
Yes, but those are proof of relationship. However we never exchanged Facebook messages so as for relationship proof I will count on pictures, letters from friends, proof of trips done together over the years etc etc

Reactions: carolbb23

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
This form has never been mandatory, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

In latest common-law application package, I don't even think they include any reference to the stat declaration anymore as they know no co-signer is possible.
Ok thanks :) That’s a relief because I have heard very different opinions about that

Reactions: gingerlily91