+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof for PR renewal

yuz

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Hello guys,

I have accepted a job that requires me to get proof from CIC that shows my card is in the renewal process. I have applied under normal renewal in Oct and under urgent process last week. But both applications cannot be found in ecas yet. I'm wondering if there is a way I can get such proof to show that I am in the middle of renewal process.

Thanks for your help,

MarioYYZ

Mar 2, 2014
You could print out the payment receipt, and the tracking info from the courier company showing your address and destination.
I know quite a few applicants who have picked up their new cards without their ecas ever being updated.

Did the COPR not suffice ?

yuz

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Hello MarioYYZ,

The security people only take PR card.

thanks for your reply. I no longer have my tracking number, I guess I will just use the receipt, hopefully, it will work.

MarioYYZ said:
You could print out the payment receipt, and the tracking info from the courier company showing your address and destination.
I know quite a few applicants who have picked up their new cards without their ecas ever being updated.

Did the COPR not suffice ?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What employer is asking for your PR card? Tell them its none of their business, in a nicer way. PR card has nothing to do with your PR status. What they need is your COPR or record of landing forms. Those are the only immigration document they are allowed to demand as a condition of employment, to verify your legal status in the country. PR cards are issued for one and only one purpose, which is to prove you status to airline or bus companies transporting you TO Canada. Providing the card to employers or anyone else is totally your choice.

MarioYYZ

Mar 2, 2014
CanV said:
What employer is asking for your PR card? Tell them its none of their business, in a nicer way. PR card has nothing to do with your PR status. What they need is your COPR or record of landing forms. Those are the only immigration document they are allowed to demand as a condition of employment, to verify your legal status in the country. PR cards are issued for one and only one purpose, which is to prove you status to airline or bus companies transporting you TO Canada. Providing the card to employers or anyone else is totally your choice.
Today, thousands of employers request to see a PR card when one mentions that he/she is a permanent resident. One reason they want to check its validity is when the job entails international travel. When an employee has to apply for a travel document abroad (and wait for approval) to return to work, it is the employer's business. I recently landed a job opportunity with one of the largest oil companies in the country 2 months before my card expired, and they couldn't go through with the contract because HR needed a minimum 1 year validity on my card. How's that for illegal ? Function creep or not, bottom line is: during an interview when nothing has been jotted down on paper, they can ask anything.

PR card has nothing to do with your PR status
What do you mean it has nothing to do with his status ? Like a COPR/IMM1000, it is official proof of his status as a permanent resident.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MarioYYZ said:
Today, thousands of employers request to see a PR card when one mentions that he/she is a permanent resident. One reason they want to check its validity is when the job entails international travel. When an employee has to apply for a travel document abroad (and wait for approval) to return to work, it is the employer's business. I recently landed a job opportunity with one of the largest oil companies in the country 2 months before my card expired, and they couldn't go through with the contract because HR needed a minimum 1 year validity on my card. How's that for illegal ? Function creep or not, bottom line is: during an interview when nothing has been jotted down on paper, they can ask anything.

What do you mean it has nothing to do with his status ? Like a COPR/IMM1000, it is official proof of his status as a permanent resident.
The only question the employer can ask you during the hiring process is whether you are legally authorized to work in Canada for any employer. They are not even allowed to ask about your immigration status, i.e. whether you came as a skilled worker, family class, or refugee. Those questions may be trigger discrimination. Only when you are officially hired they are can ask you to supply your proof of authorization to work in the country. At which point, COPR, if thats what you used to land, is the only thing they need.

In the case where an essential requirement of the job that the applicant needs to show proof that he/she can easily travel in and out of Canada, then the employer can legally ask for proof. This is similar to other job requirements. If the job requires that the employee lifts heavy boxes then the employer can ask for medical opinion and may refuse hiring if the applicant is not fit.

PR card is NOT like COPR and is NOT proof of legal status in Canada. You can have a valid card and be out of status.

yuz

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Sorry for that, did you get that job then? I think sometimes we do need some luck to get a job without an expiring PR.

MarioYYZ said:

yuz

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
The funny thing is this is not even a real job. It is just a four month internship. I don't think the employer cares that much about my PR card status, but it is the security people who cannot get me through the clearance only want the PR card. I have told them to use the COPR. But since I can only contact them through the employer who knows nothing about the immigration documents, the communication is really ineffective and I think it will be better if I just prepare whatever documents they want and get it through.

Their requirement of proof of renewal is already a big progress for me. Before that, they are asking for the new card. I have send several emails to make them agree to get my clearance without the new card. But now, they are asking for proof of renewal from CIC. Hopefully, the fee receipt will work. Otherwise, I think it is easier to give up the job than making CIC give me some proof.

CanV said: