+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Program length = 1 Year(2 Semesters) - What about remaining 4 months?

sheikh.abaz

Star Member
May 11, 2018
Hi,

I was confused about the program duration of Project Management. The acceptance letter says that the program length is 1 year which is divided into two semesters of 4 months each.
I wanted to know that where will the remaining 4 months be utilized? Will this be a break between two semesters or I will be free for 4 months after completing my 8 months study?

Your guidance is highly appreciated

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Which college are you attending given PM courses often have some months of COOP included after the formal training in your case after the 2 semesters which would be back to back.The important thing though is that the college states that the course is a one year course both up front and on graduation/completion.

Read here what is allowed

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Durham College.My program does not have any COOP program.
I’m attending DC, too, but doing CSTU diploma program at Oshawa campus. I would suggest you go to the International Education Office and ask Ms Sarah Edwards if your program is classified as a 1 year program. But I believe all graduate certificate programs are classified as 1 year program.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Hi,

I was confused about the program duration of Project Management. The acceptance letter says that the program length is 1 year which is divided into two semesters of 4 months each.
I wanted to know that where will the remaining 4 months be utilized? Will this be a break between two semesters or I will be free for 4 months after completing my 8 months study?

Your guidance is highly appreciated
Yes, the actual study time is 8 months (for instance you start in September and finish in April, there is a 2-3 weeks in between). Depending of the college it may take another 2-3 months to attend the graduation ceremony/get the graduation certificate.

For the purposes of PGWP it is considered a one year study so you will qualify for a one year work permit.

sheikh.abaz

Star Member
May 11, 2018
Thank god. I asked this question on a lot of forums and this is the only reply that answers it completely.
So you mean I will be free after April for 2-3 months? If yes,will I be allowed to work 40 hours /week?
And will I be allowed to return for few days to my home country if I wish to?

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Thank god. I asked this question on a lot of forums and this is the only reply that answers it completely.
So you mean I will be free after April for 2-3 months? If yes,will I be allowed to work 40 hours /week?
And will I be allowed to return for few days to my home country if I wish to?
You can't work until you obtain your PGWP I believe. I heard you may start working once the application is submitted and pending approval but not all employers would accept this. I am not very familiar with this as I came with a PR, but other forum members who know more about this may give more light on this later.

syedsamiuddin

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020
Alberta
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
20-10-2023
Yes, the actual study time is 8 months (for instance you start in September and finish in April, there is a 2-3 weeks in between). Depending of the college it may take another 2-3 months to attend the graduation ceremony/get the graduation certificate.

For the purposes of PGWP it is considered a one year study so you will qualify for a one year work permit.
If i take September intake of 1 year course then taking another 1 year course, second year course will also be September intake or may intake?

For taking second year course, does college evaluate my performance on 1 year study program or my performance of undergrad study?