+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Profile continuously marked as ineligible

timothyj

Mar 5, 2013
So I'm having a nightmare time filling out my profile, it was declared ineligible 3 times - any suggestions?
I sat the English test last month, have full points for that, have enough funds, have two degrees (Bachelor and a year-long diploma) and one year of foreign work experience under one A level NOC code (code 5122 - Editor), and I'm applying to EE under the same code.
I also have 3 months of experience under the same code in Canada on top of that year of foreign work. I also have more work experience under other NOC codes, too.
It's a total mystery to me - the only explanations could be that I don't have enough points under the FSW points system, but I added up and I have exactly 67 points, which is the requirement (I'm waiting for French test results, so that should go up).
Otherwise, some of the work experience under the A-level NOC code happened before I completed my undergraduate degree. I stopped studying for a year and worked a professional job then went back to finish the degree. The code I'm using says a degree is "usually required" for jobs (but not mandatory) - so maybe it's declaring me ineligible because it appears that my work experience was before I became qualified?

jickson

Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, that might very well be the reason. I assume you've created 3 different EE profiles, because once your profile is deemed ineligible, you cannot make any changes to it.

There is a box that you say "when did you first become eligible to work in this profession?". If your experience after this date is less than one year, you will probably be ineligible for FSW.

timothyj

Mar 5, 2013
Yes, exactly I had to do it three times.

This is where it gets tricky - the NOC profile for my code (5122) says that a Bachelors degree is "usually required" but does not say it is mandatory as it does for some other codes (likewise, it says "Several years of experience in journalism, writing, publishing or a related field are usually required", which is totally inaccurate, anyway, that's another issue).

So - would it be inappropriate to answer "when did you first become eligible to work in this profession?" with an earlier date? Because honestly, I would consider that I first became eligible for the profession the moment I was hired for the job - in soft fields like writing and editing it's reasonably common for people to start working before they've obtained a degree (and in some cases without getting a degree).

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I had the same issue with this qualification question and I had several sleepless nights about it. :)
By now, my application got approved and I landed as a PR three months ago.

Here is my situation:
- My experience is in NOC 2173 which usually requires a Bachelor's degree
- I had experience through a part time job: Aug 2007 - Jul 2011 and Oct 2012 to Jul 2013
- I started my undergrad in Oct 2007 and finished it in Oct 2010

For the "When did you become qualified" I just put: Aug 2007, the first time I had a part time job in that field. I was 19 back then and hadn't even started my undergrad!

Still my application got approved.

Also, check this page:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/fsw/minimum.asp

If you open the item named "Minimum work experience requirement"
it states this:
"Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description."

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
To further clarify: This is exactly why CIC regulations state that the job requirements are irrelevant: People get qualified in many different ways.

You write about your experience that people can be editors without any kind of formal degree b/c they get qualified in other ways. The same is true for my software designer work: I never got a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, still looking at people who have one, I don't see myself any less qualified for the job. I just spent sleepless nights and weeks with books and websites at home instead.

timothyj

Mar 5, 2013
This has given me a lot of relief! I find it hilarious that they basically say that the employment requirements are irrelevant, but this was very helpful - thanks.