+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Professional Orders, obtaining a permit, finding a job in a regulated profession

Ievgen

May 17, 2013
Ukraine
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia (Federal)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013
Nomination.....
CSQ issued 26-07-2013
AOR Received.
10-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Long way to go
VISA ISSUED...
Long way to go
LANDED..........
Long way to go
Hello everyone,

I haven't found any threads related to obtaining a permit from professional bodies that regulates certain professions, so I decided to create this one here.

In my case I'm planning to practice a chemist profession in Quebec, and I filed an application to corresponding organisation L'Ordre des Chimistes du Quebec a month ago. I applied directly to Order without obtaining "Évaluation comparative des études effectuées hors du Québec" as it was not required for my profession. After surfing in the internet for a while got the info that anyone who didn't complete either a high school or college in a francophone country is eligible for a one year temporary work permit with a possibility of extension. So, it means that even if you qualify according to academic credentials without good french it's impossible to be a chemist, physicist, engineer, doctor whatever in Quebec. To get a permanent permit the candidate has to pass a french exam by Immigration Culturelle upon arrival to Quebec. So I guess, it has to be done within one year time frame before temporary license expires. I didn't find any details whether this exam is difficult or not, but it shouldn't be, as you can retake it as many times as you need and unlike IELTS or TefaQ you have to take only those parts of the test that you failed during the previous attempt.

From what I read on the forum most of the people who just started learning french like me reached A2/B1 level in a couple of months. But this isn't even closely enough for sure. French proficiency is the main obstacle in getting settled successfully in Quebec. On the other hand I heard from some of my friends that there're many qualified immigrants that don't know any french. They probably go for QSW, and then move to other provinces after landing. I doubt whether it makes sense to invest further time learning french above intermediate level while preparing in home country as you need to be socializing with native speakers to improve up to advanced level.
Also, upon arrival to Quebec there will be a high probability of not finding a job in the field even having a temporary permit from the professional order. So, Quebec applicants have more challenges comparing to the rest of immigrants to other provinces as in addition to taking " survival jobs" for the first 3-6 months while settling they have to keep up with learning french as well. By "learning french" I mean reaching roughly B2/C1 level in order to practice a profession in the field. I might be mistaken, but to get a good job placement just intermediate french won't be enough.
Let's discuss different opinions about this.

Stylove

Dec 8, 2012
Visa Office......
ADVO
NOC Code......
U118
App. Filed.......
FOR CSQ MARCH 2013. FEDERAL JAN 4, 2016
Doc's Request.
RPRF AND PCC: DEC 19, 2016
AOR Received.
FEB 22, 2016
File Transfer...
ECAS: DM
Med's Request
NOV 29, 2016
Med's Done....
DEC 15, 2016
Interview........
Decision Made: 16-03-17
Passport Req..
15-03-17
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
April 2017
Ievgen said:
Hello everyone,

I haven't found any threads related to obtaining a permit from professional bodies that regulates certain professions, so I decided to create this one here.

In my case I'm planning to practice a chemist profession in Quebec, and I filed an application to corresponding organisation L'Ordre des Chimistes du Quebec a month ago. After surfing in the internet for a while got the info that anyone who didn't complete either a high school or college in a francophone country is eligible for a one year temporary work permit with a possibility of extension. So, it means that even if you qualify according to academic credentials without good french it's impossible to be a chemist, physicist, engineer, doctor whatever in Quebec. To get a permanent permit the candidate has to pass a french exam by Immigration Culturelle upon arrival to Quebec. So I guess, it has to be done within one year time frame before temporary license expires. I didn't find any details whether this exam is difficult or not, but it shouldn't be, as you can retake it as many times as you need and unlike IELTS or TefaQ you have to take only those parts of the test that you failed during the previous attempt.

From what I read on the forum most of the people who just started learning french like me reached A2/B1 level in a couple of months. But this isn't even closely enough for sure. French proficiency is the main obstacle in getting settled successfully in Quebec. On the other hand I heard from some of my friends that there're many qualified immigrants that don't know any french. They probably go for QSW, and then move to other provinces after landing. I doubt whether it makes sense to invest further time learning french above intermediate level while preparing in home country as you need to be socializing with native speakers to improve up to advanced level.
Also, upon arrival to Quebec there will be a high probability of not finding a job in the field even having a temporary permit from the professional order. So, Quebec applicants have more challenges comparing to the rest of immigrants to other provinces as in addition to taking " survival jobs" for the first 3-6 months while settling they have to keep up with learning french as well. By "learning french" I mean reaching roughly B2/C1 level in order to practice a profession in the field. I might be mistaken, but to get a good job placement just intermediate french won't be enough.
Hey my friend,
I am impressed with this thread. Can u please share the website where one can learn how to get a temporary work permit in Quebec ? thanks

Ievgen

May 17, 2013
Ukraine
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013
Nomination.....
CSQ issued 26-07-2013
AOR Received.
10-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Long way to go
VISA ISSUED...
Long way to go
LANDED..........
Long way to go
Stylove said:
Hey my friend,
I am impressed with this thread. Can u please share the website where one can learn how to get a temporary work permit in Quebec ? thanks
Stylove,

You don't need to worry about temporary permit my friend. It's only for applicants who studied in non-francophone institutions. You'll have a permanent one from the beginning after your qualifications are assessed by professional order because you're a native speaker in french. Here's the link where you can find a website of the professional body corresponding to your profession: http://www.cicic.ca/403/occupational-profiles-for-selected-trades-and-professions.canada

When you take a look at the list of documents required to apply to your Order make sure it doesn't require obtaining an "Évaluation comparative des études effectuées hors du Québec".
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/education/comparative-evaluation/index.html

If it does require it then you need to apply for evaluation first, and then to professional Order.

Stylove

Dec 8, 2012
Visa Office......
ADVO
NOC Code......
U118
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
FEB 22, 2016
File Transfer...
Med's Request
NOV 29, 2016
Med's Done....
DEC 15, 2016
Interview........
Passport Req..
15-03-17
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
April 2017
Ievgen said:
Stylove,

You don't need to worry about temporary permit my friend. It's only for applicants who studied in non-francophone institutions. You'll have a permanent one from the beginning after your qualifications are assessed by professional order because you're a native speaker in french. Here's the link where you can find a website of the professional body corresponding to your profession: http://www.cicic.ca/403/occupational-profiles-for-selected-trades-and-professions.canada

When you take a look at the list of documents required to apply to your Order make sure it doesn't require obtaining an "Évaluation comparative des études effectuées hors du Québec".
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/education/comparative-evaluation/index.html

If it does require it then you need to apply for evaluation first, and then to professional Order.
Hi friend,
Just checked with my professional order and they require an Evaluation Comparative des etudes hors Quebec so i will have to prepare and send my file for the evaluation.

Tell me one thing, i read on their website that they evaluate just the exact document that you send to them, and not your entire profile.....does it mean that, according to my case, I just have to send my Bach degree certificate and transcripts for evaluation, or I have to include secondary and high school certificates and transcripts? If it is the second case, then it will be a bit hectic cuz I will need to multiply the fees by two right? Let me know, merci.

Ievgen

May 17, 2013
Ukraine
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013
Nomination.....
CSQ issued 26-07-2013
AOR Received.
10-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Long way to go
VISA ISSUED...
Long way to go
LANDED..........
Long way to go
Stylove said:
Hi friend,
Just checked with my professional order and they require an Evaluation Comparative des etudes hors Quebec so i will have to prepare and send my file for the evaluation.

Tell me one thing, i read on their website that they evaluate just the exact document that you send to them, and not your entire profile.....does it mean that, according to my case, I just have to send my Bach degree certificate and transcripts for evaluation, or I have to include secondary and high school certificates and transcripts? If it is the second case, then it will be a bit hectic cuz I will need to multiply the fees by two right? Let me know, merci.
I suggest you only send BS diploma statement and transcripts. There's no need to pay twice. Moreover, because "Evaluation Comparative des etudes hors Quebec" is required and not optional in your case. When I applied I also noticed that Order evaluates only degrees that correspond to profession that candidate intends to practice. They probably set up such rules because some applicants can have several degrees in different fields. That's why they evaluate only relevant ones. It makes sense to add any supporting documents that have relevance to your profession. For example, safety training certificates, internships or work letters. Also, I figured that order requires documents as notarized copies which is different from CSQ Immigration application that requires certified true copies.

I included one of my BS and MS as well as work letter for my application. Also wanted to include one of the certificates for safety training, but when I saw the price for its notarization... :eek: decided that I'll better submit without it ;D

Janki

Star Member
Sep 22, 2011
Gujarat
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2013
Nomination.....
Csq August 16
AOR Received.
28-06-2013
IELTS Request
not given
File Transfer...
Federal applied on 1st September got Aor 6th December 16
Med's Request
29th December 16
Med's Done....
2nd Jan 17
Interview........
Na
Passport Req..
Waiting
Hi Ievgen,

How you applied to L'Ordre des Chimistes du Quebec?
Me too chemist and wished to apply for the same but i found on their website that without intermediate french level you cant apply..

So can you help me what process you did?

Janki

Ievgen said:
Hello everyone,

In my case I'm planning to practice a chemist profession in Quebec, and I filed an application to corresponding organisation L'Ordre des Chimistes du Quebec a month ago. I applied directly to Order without obtaining "Évaluation comparative des études effectuées hors du Québec" as it was not required for my profession. After surfing in the internet for a while got the info that anyone who didn't complete either a high school or college in a francophone country is eligible for a one year temporary work permit with a possibility of extension. So, it means that even if you qualify according to academic credentials without good french it's impossible to be a chemist, physicist, engineer, doctor whatever in Quebec. To get a permanent permit the candidate has to pass a french exam by Immigration Culturelle upon arrival to Quebec. So I guess, it has to be done within one year time frame before temporary license expires. I didn't find any details whether this exam is difficult or not, but it shouldn't be, as you can retake it as many times as you need and unlike IELTS or TefaQ you have to take only those parts of the test that you failed during the previous attempt.

Ievgen

May 17, 2013
Ukraine
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013
Nomination.....
CSQ issued 26-07-2013
AOR Received.
10-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Long way to go
VISA ISSUED...
Long way to go
LANDED..........
Long way to go
Janki said:
Hi Ievgen,

How you applied to L'Ordre des Chimistes du Quebec?
Me too chemist and wished to apply for the same but i found on their website that without intermediate french level you cant apply..

So can you help me what process you did?

Janki
Hi Janki,

I suggest you to apply to Order while your CSQ application is in process. I contacted Order first and they recommended me to apply while in home country before arrival to Quebec. The application takes 45 to 90 working days for a review. You don't need an advanced french right away. Those who studied in educational institutions where french wasn't the language of instruction are eligible for 1-year temporary permit with possibility of renewal up to three times. Within this time applicant has to pass an examination in french and he will be issued a permanent permit. I researched a lot about this exam and found that it shouldn't be that difficult. It can be retaken multiple times, and unlike for example IELTS and TEFAQ the candidate retakes only those sections where he didn't do well, thus improving every single time.
To apply to Order you need to create an account on their website and fill in your credentials. After that you need to send the required documents. Here's the link: http://www.ocq.qc.ca/rwr/en-ca/Cms/CmsPageTemplates/PageCmsSimpleSplit_d752cc51-246d-4a63-a3a1-51361fe69005.aspx

krishhmurali

May 14, 2013
Dubai
Category........
Visa Office......
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-July-2013
Doc's Request.
26-Feb-2016/ submitted 25 - Apr -2016
Nomination.....
Not Yet
AOR Received.
23-oct-2013
IELTS Request
submitted along with application
File Transfer...
Not Yet
Med's Request
Not Yet
Med's Done....
Not Yet
Interview........
Not Yet
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Ievgen said:
Hi Janki,

I suggest you to apply to Order while your CSQ application is in process. I contacted Order first and they recommended me to apply while in home country before arrival to Quebec. The application takes 45 to 90 working days for a review. You don't need an advanced french right away. Those who studied in educational institutions where french wasn't the language of instruction are eligible for 1-year temporary permit with possibility of renewal up to three times. Within this time applicant has to pass an examination in french and he will be issued a permanent permit. I researched a lot about this exam and found that it shouldn't be that difficult. It can be retaken multiple times, and unlike for example IELTS and TEFAQ the candidate retakes only those sections where he didn't do well, thus improving every single time.

Hi you mean to say we can apply for the CSQ first without applying for the order ? in that case on the CSQ form for question number 8 .. what should i pick .. Yes or No :-X .. really worried. Again this order is required only if she practice chemist jobs ?? and will it hamper the PR process ? appreciate your help.

Ievgen

May 17, 2013
Ukraine
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013
Nomination.....
CSQ issued 26-07-2013
AOR Received.
10-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Long way to go
VISA ISSUED...
Long way to go
LANDED..........
Long way to go
krishhmurali said:
Hi you mean to say we can apply for the CSQ first without applying for the order ? in that case on the CSQ form for question number 8 .. what should i pick .. Yes or No :-X .. really worried. Again this order is required only if she practice chemist jobs ?? and will it hamper the PR process ? appreciate your help.
Hi krishhmurali,

1) Application to a professional order is to be filed separately for sertain applicants, and it has nothing to do with regular CSQ application for immigration. There're around 40 professions that are regulated and require obtaining a work permit to practice. That's why professional orders establish certain requirements that a candidate has to meet if he intends to work in such occupation. If yours is one of them and you want to work in the field in Quebec then I recommend you to apply to corresponding order while your immigration case is in process. Otherwise, if it's not regulated, then you're lucky ;D

2) In the question 8 you should mark "no" for all four options, unless your diploma was obtained in Canada.

krishhmurali

May 14, 2013
Dubai
Category........
Visa Office......
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-July-2013
Doc's Request.
26-Feb-2016/ submitted 25 - Apr -2016
Nomination.....
Not Yet
AOR Received.
23-oct-2013
IELTS Request
submitted along with application
File Transfer...
Not Yet
Med's Request
Not Yet
Med's Done....
Not Yet
Interview........
Not Yet
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Ievgen said:
Hi krishhmurali,

1) Application to a professional order is to be filed separately for sertain applicants, and it has nothing to do with regular CSQ application for immigration. There're around 40 professions that are regulated and require obtaining a work permit to practice. That's why professional orders establish certain requirements that a candidate has to meet if he intends to work in such occupation. If yours is one of them and you want to work in the field in Quebec then I recommend you to apply to corresponding order while your immigration case is in process. Otherwise, if it's not regulated, then you're lucky ;D

2) In the question 8 you should mark "no" for all four options, unless your diploma was obtained in Canada.
thanks .. sorry to bother you again .. since my spouse is doing most of the application process.. am still a novice in this subject .. earlier we picked option number 3 for question number 8. really i appreciate your input .. just am reading the definition once again and getting it .. :'( .. so i ll mark all four option no .. and for the question regarding order for profession also no .. please correct me if am wrong .. i mean to say .. question number 8 .. all option no.

Ievgen

May 17, 2013
Ukraine
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013
Nomination.....
CSQ issued 26-07-2013
AOR Received.
10-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Long way to go
VISA ISSUED...
Long way to go
LANDED..........
Long way to go
krishhmurali said:
thanks .. sorry to bother you again .. since my spouse is doing most of the application process.. am still a novice in this subject .. earlier we picked option number 3 for question number 8. really i appreciate your input .. just am reading the definition once again and getting it .. :'( .. so i ll mark all four option no .. and for the question regarding order for profession also no .. please correct me if am wrong .. i mean to say .. question number 8 .. all option no.
That's right. As I said, unless your/her diploma was obtained in Canada mark "no" for all four answers. I received my grad degree from U of Massachusetts which is recognized anywhere in the world, and even though marked "no". Professional Orders treat even degrees that were obtained in Canada, but outside of Quebec as foreign degrees.

Ievgen

May 17, 2013
Ukraine
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013
Nomination.....
CSQ issued 26-07-2013
AOR Received.
10-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Long way to go
VISA ISSUED...
Long way to go
LANDED..........
Long way to go
Finally received my letter of eligibility from order! Now I have 2 years to land in Quebec before it expires :)

Stylove

Dec 8, 2012
Visa Office......
ADVO
NOC Code......
U118
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
FEB 22, 2016
File Transfer...
Med's Request
NOV 29, 2016
Med's Done....
DEC 15, 2016
Interview........
Passport Req..
15-03-17
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
April 2017
Ievgen said:
Finally received my letter of eligibility from order! Now I have 2 years to land in Quebec before it expires :)
Wow, you are really blessed! I am very happy for you. So you are eligible to take the Quebec's Chemist exam in order to get license now right? That's good for you and its really sooooo fast....how i wish all the other orders could be this efficient!

Ievgen

May 17, 2013
Ukraine
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013
Nomination.....
CSQ issued 26-07-2013
AOR Received.
10-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Long way to go
VISA ISSUED...
Long way to go
LANDED..........
Long way to go
Stylove said:
Wow, you are really blessed! I am very happy for you. So you are eligible to take the Quebec's Chemist exam in order to get license now right? That's good for you and its really sooooo fast....how i wish all the other orders could be this efficient!
Thanks my friend. It takes up to 90 days for a review of application. Also, there's no need for comparative evaluation. I can get a license as soon as I arrive to Quebec and pay the enrollment fees. Within two years from now I need to finalize the PR. I hope you'll get yours as fast from order of nursing.

Janki

Star Member
Sep 22, 2011
Gujarat
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2013
Nomination.....
Csq August 16
AOR Received.
28-06-2013
IELTS Request
not given
File Transfer...
Federal applied on 1st September got Aor 6th December 16
Med's Request
29th December 16
Med's Done....
2nd Jan 17
Interview........
Na
Passport Req..
Waiting
Dear Ievgen,

I just got my file number and now I want to apply for Chemist permit and the first question they are asking is "Do you wish to evaluate yourself qualitatively?"
What does it mean and what to say yes or no?
How much total you paid for the whole process of getting permit.

Please reply soon.
Thank you.

Janki

[

quote author=Ievgen link=topic=149148.msg2349578#msg2349578 date=1371445944]
Thanks my friend. It takes up to 90 days for a review of application. Also, there's no need for comparative evaluation. I can get a license as soon as I arrive to Quebec and pay the enrollment fees. Within two years from now I need to finalize the PR. I hope you'll get yours as fast from order of nursing.
[/quote]