+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing Times

kisidro

Dec 1, 2008
Hey Everyone...

New to the forum and wanted to so hello before posting.

Well now that is out of the way, I hope someone can help me out.

I am a Canadian Citizen by birth but am currently living in California with My wife and Daughter. We have decided to move back to Canada. We have all the paper work ready and just need to get the police certificat for my wife.

Does anyone know how long it takes approximately for the application to process beginning to end?

If there is a section, if someone could direct me it would be greatly appreciated.

Also is there anything that needs to be done because I am living in the US right now? Do I need to go back to Toronto before my wife and daughter come in?

Sorry, 1 more thing..we were married in Canada.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Kevin

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The sponsorship part of the application, that is approving you as a sponsor takes something like 7 weeks and after that 3-9 months in Buffalo, I believe the average is 5 over there so total something like 7 months average.

If you apply while you are still living in the US, you have to successfully prove to immigration that you will move to Canada when your wife gets her PR. If you have real estate, rented a home, got a job offer, something like that could be considered proof. If you have none of this, better than nothing if you have statements from family saying they know of your plans to move to Canada and will offer you a place to stay until you get set up.

If you establish residency in Canada yourself before your wife or just take her with you on visitor status, you will not have to prove this. The downside is if you have to go before her, the cost of keeping 2 homes plus being apart or if she goes with you as a visitor she can not work in Canada until she has her PR and if Buffalo calls her for an interview, she'll have to go there.

kisidro

Dec 1, 2008
We are actually going to be in Toronto for the Christmas holiday. Is it possible for my wife and daughter to have their medicals done their or is it best to have it done here in California>?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They can do it in Canada. It's cheaper than in the US from what I've heard. Just make sure to use the proper medical forms. If you are applying from within Canada vs. outside, the forms are somewhat different.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All your forms for applying from the US are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp and in the region specific forms for the US, you will find one form you have to print out and take to your checkup.  The immigrants guide at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3999E.pdf gives you further instructions about what to fill out and there is a link to find approved doctors but it's not working for me right now.  When you go to the clinic, you can ask them if they have different forms for outland and inland applications too.

One question, why does your daughter need a medical? Since you are a citizen, isn't she a citizen also already?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
You can find US applicant specific information, and links to all the forms, at the US2Canada website. There's also information about bringing your wife to Canada with you, as a visitor, while awaiting PR finalization . . . if you decide to do that. Don't think that you have to apply via the inland process if she's going to be in Canada with you - and don't think she has to stay in the States until approved if you file outland . . . neither is true.

Leon's right about the medicals, I was quoted $550 USD for medicals in California - we paid $178 CDN in Ontario! Just use the form included in Appendix C of the US Region Specific forms in the outland application package and make sure the DMP knows that the file is going to be processed through Mississauga/Buffalo. It's better if you bring the forms yourself because some people have had trouble with the personnel in the DMP's offices insisting on using the inland forms . . . apparently not understanding that not all people having medicals done in Canada are filing inland aps.

Oh, and entering Canada, don't feel compelled to have to tell the IO at the POE that you're family is going to be undergoing medical exams while in Canada . . . it's none of their business. You're all coming for a holiday visit - no need to get into the intention to file a PR application unless you, as the sponsor, are coming back to Canada now to re-settle, and you're bringing your wife with you.

kisidro

Dec 1, 2008
You guys are awesome. So much knowledge. Thanks so much.

Im not too sure about my daughter. Wife and I were married in Canada, Moved to the US and had our daughter in the US. Where can I get clarification if the medical needs to be done for her too?

Thanks Again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are a Canadian citizen so your daughter is automatically a Canadian citizen too (dual US and Canadian). What you need to do is apply for a citizenship certificate for her, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp You probably have to provide her birth certificate as well as yours. When she gets her citizenship certficate, you can apply for a Canadian passport for her at http://www.ppt.gc.ca/index.aspx?lang=eng She does not need a medical.

kisidro

Dec 1, 2008
So since my Daughter will have the citizen certficate, she wont need to be included in the Immigrant application correct?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not sure how you do it on the sponsorship application but on your wifes PR application, I think she should write that the application is for 1 and list husband and child and list husband and child citizenship as Canadian. When you go to Canada for the medicals, you can drop into a newcomers centre and get some real life advice or you can call CIC call centre.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
I am not sure how you do it on the sponsorship application but on your wifes PR application, I think she should write that the application is for 1 and list husband and child and list husband and child citizenship as Canadian. When you go to Canada for the medicals, you can drop into a newcomers centre and get some real life advice or you can call CIC call centre.
The child is not included on the sponsorship nor the application, but is listed on the IMM 5406 additional family members.

PMM

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Exactly - IF you are a Canadian citizen, only your US citizen wife needs to be sponsored to come to Canada . . . your child is a dual-citizen and only needs to be included as 1) a dependent on the sponsorship evaluation form (Box 6B), and in 6B on page 2 of the same form; and 2) by the applicant (your wife) in the Additional Family Information form as her child, in Section B.

Only family members being sponsored for PR have to undergo medical exams or include photos per the specifications in Appendix B of the Region Specific Forms.

kisidro

Dec 1, 2008
WOuld you suggest that I get my daughters Citizen Certificate before I put in my sponsorship application for me wife. I havent applied for my daughters Certificate as of yet.

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
YES! It's a pretty simple process to get a certificate of Citizenship and then a passport for your daughter.

Find out from the consulate in LA if they can do this for you...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/los-angeles.asp