+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing times Canada awful!

obld

Oct 2, 2012
I am a professor and have submitted a visitor visa application more than 2 months ago in Vienna. I am a Romanian citizen, but I reside in the Netherlands. They did not manage to process my application in time for my US departure (I will be staying for 4 months on a research visit), so I took out my passport via a visa company. Now I face similar application times in US, at least 30 days, and once I submit I am left with absolutely no ID in US, and as a scholar I travel a lot. I have to be in Canada Nov. 21, but have another flight within US October 21 where I need my passport since I have no other US ID. So basically I will apply October 22, have to book a flight, and have no guarantee that I can obtain a visa. I have already paid the application fee once, plus the visa services in Vienna, so this can get very expensive.

Any idea what I can do?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there any tele-conference (such as facetime) options, so that you don't need to appear in person in Canada?

If not, can't you go to visa offices (like Ankara) where the processing time is lower and plan ahead?

oceans_end

Star Member
Dec 16, 2009
you should have thought of the processing times when you booked all the conferences?!? its listed on CIC's website...

NLY39739

Sep 24, 2012
oceans_end said:
you should have thought of the processing times when you booked all the conferences?!? its listed on CIC's website...
I think there are two sides of the story here. while it is true that all applicants should apply as early as possible, some jobs just don't provide the luxury of not having passport with the individuals. He is a professor and he is clearly on a very busy and tight traveling, conference, etc. I can understand that when he applied for the first time in Vienna, it was already "early" enough. I also faced similar situation because I travel a lot.

Secondly, the information listed on the website with regard to processing time is purely indicative. It is meant for guidance. To me, personally, it is borderline "misleading". I applied in Shanghai one month before my departure because website says 2 weeks. To my dismay, when I submitted my application, the staff told me it will take at least 2 months.