+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing (Live-In Caregiver) Work Permit in Consulate in Seattle?

portmoody

Sep 23, 2010
I have read many posts and don't see anything similar to our UNIQUE situation.

We have obtained a positive LMO for a wonderful Filipino girl, presently working in Hong Kong. She also has all the required docs to apply under the LIC program.

HOWEVER - her employers brought her to Canada for their summer vacation - and now are staying for the duration of her 6month visitor visa to Canada. This switches up our plan a little - she was due to return to HK next week, at which point she was going to submit her application and wait for her interview. Not happening.

We have spoken to CIC and they said she is eligible to apply at the consulate in Seattle. Thus - we have a list of questions:

-has this been done before - successfully?
-is it likely she will be granted her USvisitor visa - to enter and interview in Seattle?
-Seattle accepts walk-in applicants/ no appointment - and also notes that some are processed same day!
-where would the medical exam come into this?
-if she walks in to Seattle (what a miracle that would be) - and her interview was positive - would she be asked to do a medical exam / and then would she have to return or is the work visa issued at a later date/ pending the results/ and can she remain in Canada on her visitor visa while she/we wait?

Let's start here - it is a line-up of what ifs..

I know her returning to HK makes most sense - but the timeline starts to get ridiculous, considering we have been in the searching/ interviewing/ LMO process for over 2 months now.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
portmoody said:
I have read many posts and don't see anything similar to our UNIQUE situation.

We have obtained a positive LMO for a wonderful Filipino girl, presently working in Hong Kong. She also has all the required docs to apply under the LIC program.

HOWEVER - her employers brought her to Canada for their summer vacation - and now are staying for the duration of her 6month visitor visa to Canada. This switches up our plan a little - she was due to return to HK next week, at which point she was going to submit her application and wait for her interview. Not happening.

We have spoken to CIC and they said she is eligible to apply at the consulate in Seattle. Thus - we have a list of questions:

-has this been done before - successfully?
yes
-is it likely she will be granted her USvisitor visa - to enter and interview in Seattle?
not sure
-Seattle accepts walk-in applicants/ no appointment - and also notes that some are processed same day!
-where would the medical exam come into this?
She will be given a list of DMPs and the letter to show the DMP.
-if she walks in to Seattle (what a miracle that would be) - and her interview was positive - would she be asked to do a medical exam
refer to previous
/ and then would she have to return or is the work visa issued at a later date/ pending the results/ and can she remain in Canada on her visitor visa while she/we wait?
if she is granted a visa, she will be notified by a letter when to go back for her visa. She picks up WP at POE.

Let's start here - it is a line-up of what ifs..

I know her returning to HK makes most sense - but the timeline starts to get ridiculous, considering we have been in the searching/ interviewing/ LMO process for over 2 months now.
But if she was not able to get a US visa, she can send her application through mail and then go from there.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

job_seeker said:
yes not sure She will be given a list of DMPs and the letter to show the DMP. refer to previous if she is granted a visa, she will be notified by a letter when to go back for her visa. She picks up WP at POE.

But if she was not able to get a US visa, she can send her application through mail and then go from there.
You should note that nearly all LCPs require an interview. It is extremely unlikely that the WP will be processed in 28 days. Note she will also require a medical and results of that will take more than a month.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

You should note that nearly all LCPs require an interview. It is extremely unlikely that the WP will be processed in 28 days. Note she will also require a medical and results of that will take more than a month.
If the applicant has all documents she needs (certificate of training or proof of at least one year experience as a caregiver, PCC), and she is able to arrive at the consulate really early (if granted a US visa), she will be interviewed and if it is positive, she will take back with her to Canada medical instructions and list of DMPs. There were successful applicants who did not go to Seattle but mailed their applications in and went to the border to pick up their WPs. It is really extremely unlikely for the WP to be processed in 28 days as the consulate use snail mail and every document request takes about a month and if the applicant is really lucky, she can receive her visa in about 3 months.

portmoody

Sep 23, 2010
job_seeker said:
There were successful applicants who did not go to Seattle but mailed their applications in and went to the border to pick up their WPs. It is really extremely unlikely for the WP to be processed in 28 days as the consulate use snail mail and every document request takes about a month and if the applicant is really lucky, she can receive her visa in about 3 months.
HI job_seeker, thankyou so much for your insights - I just want to get this right

- you only know of successful applicants who MAILED to Seattle, then attended an interview? Not anyone who has tried the walk-in service?
- when did they go to the border to pick up WP? After mailing in, they were called for an interview (I assume) - then picked up their WP on their way back from US to Canada? Or do you mean they interviewed in US, returned to Canada, waited, then when notified, they went to POE to pick up WP?
- what is your suggestion, based on actual scenarios that you are familiar with? Mail in, or walk-in? Are you in contact with anyone who has done either of these, from Canada, on a visitor visa.. (originally from Philippines of course)?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
portmoody said:
HI job_seeker, thankyou so much for your insights - I just want to get this right

- you only know of successful applicants who MAILED to Seattle, then attended an interview? Not anyone who has tried the walk-in service?
- when did they go to the border to pick up WP? After mailing in, they were called for an interview (I assume) - then picked up their WP on their way back from US to Canada? Or do you mean they interviewed in US, returned to Canada, waited, then when notified, they went to POE to pick up WP?
- what is your suggestion, based on actual scenarios that you are familiar with? Mail in, or walk-in? Are you in contact with anyone who has done either of these, from Canada, on a visitor visa.. (originally from Philippines of course)?
Two members of the forum mailed in their applications (those that I have had the pleasure of exchanging communications through the forum); there probably are more. They did not mention any interview though. I personally know one who has a multiple entry visa to the US who was able to walk in, file the visa application, got interviewed and drove back to Canada with the medical instructions and DMP list on the same day and waited out the processing in Canada; went back to pick up the visa later and got the WP upon re-entry. Judging from the exchange of communications the mailed in processing took 3 months.

If she can get a US visa then walk in would be faster (cuts down on the mailing cycle). She should have all the documents needed on the checklist applicable to her case. Usually the Police Clearance Certificate takes the longest time to have on hand not unless she has had the foresight to get them all done before she came to Canada.

portmoody

Sep 23, 2010
job_seeker said:
Two members of the forum mailed in their applications (those that I have had the pleasure of exchanging communications through the forum); there probably are more. They did not mention any interview though. OK THANKS

I personally know one who has a multiple entry visa to the US who was able to walk in, file the visa application, got interviewed and drove back to Canada with the medical instructions and DMP list on the same day and waited out the processing in Canada; went back to pick up the visa later and got the WP upon re-entry. Judging from the exchange of communications the mailed in processing took 3 months. FROM WHAT COUNTRY ORIGINALLY? AND HERE IN CANADA ON VISITOR VISA?

If she can get a US visa then walk in would be faster (cuts down on the mailing cycle). She should have all the documents needed on the checklist applicable to her case. Usually the Police Clearance Certificate takes the longest time to have on hand not unless she has had the foresight to get them all done before she came to Canada. ARE YOU REFERRING TO NBI?

portmoody

Sep 23, 2010
job_seeker - yes, I just checked, you are referring to NBI - which is in the mail on it's way to Canada now (her mom processed her renewal in HK 2wks ago)

SO - if you are in contact with the other person who had a successful application - then that person has all the answers for us!

-did your friend apply for WP under LCP?
-origin country?
-here in Canada on visitor visa?
-how come US multi-entry visitor visa?

My fingers are crossed we can go this route/ depends on these details of course!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Yes, under LCP. Used to travel a lot so has multiple entry visitor visas to many countries then decided to make Canada the new home, now a PR.

portmoody said:
job_seeker - yes, I just checked, you are referring to NBI - which is in the mail on it's way to Canada now (her mom processed her renewal in HK 2wks ago)

SO - if you are in contact with the other person who had a successful application - then that person has all the answers for us!

-did your friend apply for WP under LCP? Yes
-origin country? Philippines
-here in Canada on visitor visa? Yes
-how come US multi-entry visitor visa? Has US multiple entry visa. Went to the US to apply for the Work Permit/Visa; came back to Canada with the medical instructions. Waited for the process in Canada. Went back to the US to pick up the Canadian work visa. Got WP upon entry to Canada.

My fingers are crossed we can go this route/ depends on these details of course!

portmoody

Sep 23, 2010
Now she is thinking Hong Kong is less risky - do you know what their present time-line is for LCP applications?

submit
interview
medical
receipt of visa?

THANKS AGAIN -

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Last i heard was 6 months for HK applicants that is why Filipino applicants go to HK and work there and then look for a Canadian employer once they have worked at least one year. No details though as to that of your outline. I don't know if this has changed. The person I know of arrived in 2009.

Your nanny can send her application to Seattle (at least two members sent, no interviews required), three months processing. She can cut the processing time by having the medicals and sending all the requirements at the same time. (at least one member did it, she also has no US visa, exchange of communication by mail).

With CIC there is always a risk involved. Never a 100% probability. Just get the application organized and pray a lot :)

portmoody said:
Now she is thinking Hong Kong is less risky - do you know what their present time-line is for LCP applications?

submit
interview
medical
receipt of visa?

THANKS AGAIN -

hardworker

Apr 12, 2010
hello! To my curiosity, I would just like to ask a possible scenario; also this might help the person in need.

She sends her application (including all docs and PASSPORT) to Seattle then her visitor status is implied (she sent an extension app already but not yet received the decision)... she just wait right? no problem there...

THEN

what if the decision to her extension app arrives and it is refused an extension but her WORK PERMIT APP in Seattle is still pending? What would be the right course of action then? is she overstaying now? or still has the implied status?

Any information is appreciated.. Thank you! :)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
If the visitor extension decision arrives ahead of the work visa decision (possible but extremely unlikely as it takes about 3 months or more, to process visitor extension app in CPC-Veg while Seattle and Buffalo process 72% and 82% respectively, of the TRV apps in 28 days) and it is a refusal, then chances are the work visa will also be a refusal. Just my opinion though. If this did happen, the applicant will have to wait till Seattle or whichever visa office the documents were sent to, returns his/her documents/passport to him/her.

hardworker said:
hello! To my curiosity, I would just like to ask a possible scenario; also this might help the person in need.

She sends her application (including all docs and PASSPORT) to Seattle then her visitor status is implied (she sent an extension app already but not yet received the decision)... she just wait right? no problem there...

THEN

what if the decision to her extension app arrives and it is refused an extension but her WORK PERMIT APP in Seattle is still pending? What would be the right course of action then? is she overstaying now? or still has the implied status?

Any information is appreciated.. Thank you! :)

hardworker

Apr 12, 2010
job_seeker said:
If the visitor extension decision arrives ahead of the work visa decision (possible but extremely unlikely as it takes about 3 months or more, to process visitor extension app in CPC-Veg while Seattle and Buffalo process 72% and 82% respectively, of the TRV apps in 28 days) and it is a refusal, then chances are the work visa will also be a refusal. Just my opinion though. If this did happen, the applicant will have to wait till Seattle or whichever visa office the documents were sent to, returns his/her documents/passport to him/her.
thank you for the info; much appreciated

portmoody

Sep 23, 2010
interesting questions!!

If you don't have a passport, you cannot travel anywhere - so implied or not, she will have to wait:)

We asked a lawyer - who advised Seattle. It is quick.. so she will get a decision/ or something(!) in about 4 weeks. Better than doing nothing and waiting and waiting until the current employer decides she is important enough to inform if they are returning to HK this year! Wasted time.

She sent her papers this week. I will keep you posted.

THANKS