+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Process of bringing the spouse

AlexBuchko

Dec 7, 2018
Hello,

I recently got an opportunity to get closed working permit.

My question is, how can my husband come with me and in what time frame?

Few details about us/him: he has an Express Entry profile and is in the pool, with score of 310 points (he has his diploma assessed, we both taken IELTS with overall score 7/ CLB 6). However, in the profile I am his dependant, and in profile there are my IELTS results (my diploma is still not assessed) which is not going to be the case if I go to Canada with work permit.

Can you tell how can my husband come with me and in what time frame and explain the process?

AlexBuchko

Dec 7, 2018
Do you have an LMIA from the employer? You need that approved before you can apply for a work permit.
Well yes, that is all set up (or it will be, when we I accept the offer). But it is not with Express Entry program - just a work permit for me. Because of that, we don't know how can he come (and the time frame for his approbation and arrival).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If your job is NOC A, B or 0 skill level, then your husband can apply for an open work permit based on your closed work permit. Approval is not guaranteed - however he is certainly entitled to apply if the criteria are met.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if ever you have skilled work, in Canada then you might want to be primary applicant (simply put you can make your own EE profile where you put him as dependant). It is because job offers and work experience in Canada can give decent amount of points. Also work on language score for both of you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
LMIA can't be "set-up" when you accept an offer. It is a process that the employer needs to undergo and needs to be approved by the government to show that no Canadian can/will do the work. It often takes 3-4 months and is not always positive. It is also expensive for the employer. If the LMIA hasn't been started and you haven't been approved for a work permit you could be waiting for 6 months. Positive LMIA also doesn't mean approved work permit. It could also end up fine but just take a long time.

Reactions: Bryanna

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well if you do not have LMIA or do not fall under any LMIA exempt category, it might simply be, that what you have on hands is a simple scam offer and nothing more. In that case of course you have nothing.