+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Process for common-law partner sponsorship

annfoo241

Feb 11, 2018
Hi,
My Canadian partner is sponsoring me for an Outland (currently in Australia) common-law partner visa. I just have a few questions about what comes next in the process, hopefully someone who has been through before can help.
I've sent off my USA FBI police check, Just wondering what (if anything) they will request next.... I'm keen to get documents in order sooner rather than later if possible, as we've now been apart 6 months, and they keep surprising me by springing things on me that I thought Australians were exempt from. These things take time to gather so obviously if I know what's coming next I can get it in order so it's ready to go when they ask for it.
So far I've submitted:
Aus. police check
Medical check
US police check
What will they ask for next?
Thanks in advance!

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi,
My Canadian partner is sponsoring me for an Outland (currently in Australia) common-law partner visa. I just have a few questions about what comes next in the process, hopefully someone who has been through before can help.
I've sent off my USA FBI police check, Just wondering what (if anything) they will request next.... I'm keen to get documents in order sooner rather than later if possible, as we've now been apart 6 months, and they keep surprising me by springing things on me that I thought Australians were exempt from. These things take time to gather so obviously if I know what's coming next I can get it in order so it's ready to go when they ask for it.
So far I've submitted:
Aus. police check
Medical check
US police check
What will they ask for next?
Thanks in advance!
If you have submitted PCC and medical result and uploaded Schedule A in your online account.............its not uncommon not to hear from IRCC for months.........until the may ask for may request for your passport.

Most Outland follow these steps (the order may vary).
  1. Application received at IRCC Mississauga
  2. CIC Mississauga started processing application
  3. Receive Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR 1)
  4. Link Application to Online Account
  5. Uploaded Schedule A form to Online Account
  6. Sponsor Approval and File transfer to VO
  7. VO starts processing PR application (AOR 2)
  8. Receive Request for Medical Exam
  9. Medical Exam @ IRCC Panel Physician Clinic
  10. Medical Exam Result
  11. Final Review (may request additional doc if needed b4 approval).
  12. Passport Request (PPR)
  13. Pick-up Permanent Residency Visa (PUM)

annfoo241

Feb 11, 2018
Thanks for your reply,

I am at step 11. Final Review (may request additional doc if needed b4 approval). But my question is, what 'additional documents' might be requested? Because I want to get all documents in order before they ask for it, so it can be sent off asap. So far, they have only requested USA PCC (which I have sent off), because I used to live in USA in 2009-10. Any idea what other documents they will request? I also used to live in UK, but only until 2007, which was more than 10 years ago so I assume I will not need a UK PCC?

Also, you say they will request my passport. Someone else told me on this forum that they won't need my passport, instead they will send me a PR letter which I give to immigration upon entry into Canada, then they will give me a PR card. Could someone clarify if they will or won't request my passport? Because I may be overseas, so I will need to know if I have to be without passport, and for how long.... please note, I am Australian citizen, maybe the process is different for different countries. I've read a lot of posts from Indians who seem to need to post their passports... but maybe it is different for Australians?

Many thanks for your time.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Thanks for your reply,

I am at step 11. Final Review (may request additional doc if needed b4 approval). But my question is, what 'additional documents' might be requested? Because I want to get all documents in order before they ask for it, so it can be sent off asap. So far, they have only requested USA PCC (which I have sent off), because I used to live in USA in 2009-10. Any idea what other documents they will request? I also used to live in UK, but only until 2007, which was more than 10 years ago so I assume I will not need a UK PCC?

Also, you say they will request my passport. Someone else told me on this forum that they won't need my passport, instead they will send me a PR letter which I give to immigration upon entry into Canada, then they will give me a PR card. Could someone clarify if they will or won't request my passport? Because I may be overseas, so I will need to know if I have to be without passport, and for how long.... please note, I am Australian citizen, maybe the process is different for different countries. I've read a lot of posts from Indians who seem to need to post their passports... but maybe it is different for Australians?

Many thanks for your time.
As per request additional doc if needed b4 approval.........they likely may not ask for additional documents if your marriage/relationship proof and genuineness is convincing..........however, only the visa officer who reviews your case could decide, so no one could tell.......relax......you will be okay.

Australia is a visa exempt country to Canada..........refer..........Request for passport

Request for passport

Applicants from visa-exempt countries

The ‘Passport Request’ letter instructs the applicant on how to send a photocopy of the bio data page of their passport and, if applicable, the bio data page of the passports of their accompanying spouse and dependent children.

lfindlay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
We also applied as common-law to sponsor my Aussie partner. Not sure if you live in Victoria, or ever lived there - but one of the additional documents that they requested of us was a full traffic history for Victoria (my partner lived there for about 6 months, 8 or 9 years ago and had included this on one of his forms) - he never held a Victorian licence, so we got a letter from VicRoads to state just that.

Obviously disregard this if you've never lived in Vic/haven't lived there in the last decade!

annfoo241

Feb 11, 2018
Apparently its residents of WA, Queensland and Victoria who have this requirement....
I resided in WA up until 1999, but since then not for more than 6months. So I assume I'm exempt from this., since it's been more than 10 years? Just to clarify, this traffic history is actually a prerequisite to obtain the Police check? As I've already got my police check, I can assume I don't have to worry about this, or is it something that I need independant of that anyway?

lfindlay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Apparently its residents of WA, Queensland and Victoria who have this requirement....
I resided in WA up until 1999, but since then not for more than 6months. So I assume I'm exempt from this., since it's been more than 10 years? Just to clarify, this traffic history is actually a prerequisite to obtain the Police check? As I've already got my police check, I can assume I don't have to worry about this, or is it something that I need independant of that anyway?
Wouldn't worry then, I am sure you would be exempt since it's over 10 years. And no.. not a prereq to obtaining police check. We obtained ours without the traffic history. I would also assume you don't have to worry about it!

annfoo241

Feb 11, 2018
Just updating this thread for extra info if others are wondering...

I received an email saying "The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete. You must complete the
following steps within 30 days in order for our office to issue your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and, if
applicable, your permanent residence visa". Strangely this email did not show in my CIC account, only got the email.

The letter asks me to send in a photocopy of passport, 2x 70mm x 50mm photos (to Canadian specificatiosn) and a completed Family Information form (attached in email). Then you have to bring it all to the VFS centre in Australia Square, sydney. You pay them $50 and they send it all off for you. Not sure why, I think it's just a money grab. I'm not sending my passport so there doesn't need any insurance, just a few forms, so not sure how that costs $50, but apparently there's no choice in the matter.

I took the passport pics at Strawberry Hills post office in Sydney. They took the pics for my initial application and it was fine. But this time, the lady rejected them, saying that the height of my face was over 36mm. I think she didn't understand the specifications are measuring from the chin to the crown, NOT including the hair. But she is the one handling your application so obviously you cant really argue with her. Luckily there is an Australia Post downstairs in Australia Square. They kindly took more pics for me without charging again, and zoomed the pics out so they were smaller. They also complained that the woman upstairs always rejects pictures, so its a known problem. Knowing this, I think it's a good idea to take pics at Australia post so you can quickly get them redone for free if there's a problem, rather than using a random photographer.

Also, the lady at VFS said I needed to print out the entire letter I was sent. NOT just the "Family Information' form. Note that this instruction is not detailed anywhere in the email letter, so if you want to save yourself a bit of running around, print the whole thing out.

After submitting all, the lady says I will hear from them between 3 days to 3 months. Hopefully in the home stretch :)

Canucks and Hawks

May 1, 2018
Just updating this thread for extra info if others are wondering...

I received an email saying "The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete. You must complete the
following steps within 30 days in order for our office to issue your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and, if
applicable, your permanent residence visa". Strangely this email did not show in my CIC account, only got the email.

The letter asks me to send in a photocopy of passport, 2x 70mm x 50mm photos (to Canadian specificatiosn) and a completed Family Information form (attached in email). Then you have to bring it all to the VFS centre in Australia Square, sydney. You pay them $50 and they send it all off for you. Not sure why, I think it's just a money grab. I'm not sending my passport so there doesn't need any insurance, just a few forms, so not sure how that costs $50, but apparently there's no choice in the matter.

I took the passport pics at Strawberry Hills post office in Sydney. They took the pics for my initial application and it was fine. But this time, the lady rejected them, saying that the height of my face was over 36mm. I think she didn't understand the specifications are measuring from the chin to the crown, NOT including the hair. But she is the one handling your application so obviously you cant really argue with her. Luckily there is an Australia Post downstairs in Australia Square. They kindly took more pics for me without charging again, and zoomed the pics out so they were smaller. They also complained that the woman upstairs always rejects pictures, so its a known problem. Knowing this, I think it's a good idea to take pics at Australia post so you can quickly get them redone for free if there's a problem, rather than using a random photographer.

Also, the lady at VFS said I needed to print out the entire letter I was sent. NOT just the "Family Information' form. Note that this instruction is not detailed anywhere in the email letter, so if you want to save yourself a bit of running around, print the whole thing out.

After submitting all, the lady says I will hear from them between 3 days to 3 months. Hopefully in the home stretch :)
Oooh. Following. My partner is also Australian but we are still at early stages

annfoo241

Feb 11, 2018
Oooh. Following. My partner is also Australian but we are still at early stages
Make sure your partner has a reliable email account and the CIC emails are not going to spam! As this is final instruction only came via email, it does not show in my CIC account. And the email specifically states 'This email will not be re-issued.'

I read some other threads of people who got stuck at the final step and never heard back, now I'm wondering if that's because they missed this email.

Good luck!

ashpash22

Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
02-09-2018
AOR Received.
23-03-2018
Med's Request
28-03-2018
Med's Done....
10-04-2018
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2018
Make sure your partner has a reliable email account and the CIC emails are not going to spam! As this is final instruction only came via email, it does not show in my CIC account. And the email specifically states 'This email will not be re-issued.'

I read some other threads of people who got stuck at the final step and never heard back, now I'm wondering if that's because they missed this email.

Good luck!
Let us know when you get your COPR! Im curios to know how long it’s going to take. We had our passport request last week and sent it in to VFS global and it arrived on Wednesday but my partner realized today he forgot to put the photos in the envelope today when he saw them sitting on his night stand. So we think we’re just gonna resend everything and probably pay that annoying fee again.

annfoo241

Feb 11, 2018
Let us know when you get your COPR! Im curios to know how long it’s going to take. We had our passport request last week and sent it in to VFS global and it arrived on Wednesday but my partner realized today he forgot to put the photos in the envelope today when he saw them sitting on his night stand. So we think we’re just gonna resend everything and probably pay that annoying fee again.
Will do! They told me the timeframe would be 3 days - 3 months. But since I don't want to buy flights last minute, I'm going to book a flight now to depart in 3 months time.

My understanding with VFS global is that you are paying them to check through your application is ok before they send it off. So, they shouldn't have submitted your application (or charged you yet) since it was incomplete... so hopefully you can just contact them and explain that the passport photos are coming in the post. Probably worthwhile trying to ask them if theres anything else you missed in your application that you need to send while you're at it.