+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Process for a Landed Immigrant to Return to Canada after a Long Absence

khym54

Feb 15, 2017
I am a Canadian citizen. My wife was a landed immigrant in Canada until 1996. She has a permanent SIN and we have all her original landed immigrant papers - perhaps even the US passport which includes her original immigration stamp. We have visited Canada numerous times over the past 20 years. We are considering moving back to Alberta this summer. My father and I own a condominium in Edmonton and I also have a job should we return. When we talked to Catholic Social Services in Edmonton a couple of years ago (because we couldn't talk to anyone at immigration) about her status, they suggested we just show up at the border and she shouldn't have any problems. What do you think? Should we add her name to the ownership of the condo? With her SIN could she immediately get a job? How would she get a PR card? Any ideas? Thanks for your input.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
khym54 said:
they suggested we just show up at the border and she shouldn't have any problems. What do you think?

Should we add her name to the ownership of the condo?

With her SIN could she immediately get a job?

How would she get a PR card? Any ideas?
Yes, that's fine. She can present herself to CBSA as a PR with her original documents and proof that she has been residing with you and therefore still meets the Residency Obligation. If flying, she can travel to Canada on the strength of her American passport without informing the airline of her PR status.

Her name being on the condo makes zero difference.

She will need to make sure her SIN is active. I believe they go dormant after a certain amount of time has passed. I don't know the procedure for reactivating a SIN if it had gone dormant. I suggest you contact Service Canada before moving to find out.

Once in Canada, she can apply for a new PR card. She will need to show proof that she has been living with you and therefore still meets the Residency Obligation.