+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Procedure for temporary import car on work permit

bourne5144`

Jun 24, 2017
I moved to Toronto from US on a 3-year work permit, I drove my car and got a Form 1 for temporary import.

Can anyone confirm if below are steps to get Ontario number plates

1. Exchange US driver license for Ontario license
  2. Get Ontario Insurance
  3. Do an Ontario vehicle inspection
  4. Go to Service Ontario with Form 1 and above 3 to get number plates
Is there anything to be done with RIV for this, like showing recall clearance letter or filling any form in RIV website

Thanks in advance

dpH133

Jul 22, 2020
I moved to Toronto from US on a 3-year work permit, I drove my car and got a Form 1 for temporary import.

2. Get Ontario Insurance
Is there anything to be done with RIV for this, like showing recall clearance letter or filling any form in RIV website

Thanks in advance
Hello.. i am in the same situation. Could you please explain the steps you did after temp import to license the vehicle in ontario ?

sauravchopra

Mar 30, 2021
Hello.. i am in the same situation. Could you please explain the steps you did after temp import to license the vehicle in ontario ?
Hey! Were you able to figure out a solution for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MGBCPNPPR

Aug 31, 2021

2. Get Ontario Insurance

Thanks in advance
Greetings. Can you share your experience on temporary import. I am driving to Canada on work permit. Things like documentation needed and any tips to help be prepared

dpH133

Jul 22, 2020
The process is fairly straightforward.

You do not have to go through registrar RIV to temporarily import your US vehicle to canada. I do not recollect the step by step process since i did this 1 year back and still driving my temporarily imported vehicle in Canada.

I did export my vehicle from US through the US Border Protection office at border. Basically they give a seal in TITLE as exported.
From the Canada CBP you will get the temporary import document which you can take it to service ontario and they will issue a number plate and give permit. Your US Title will be surrendered to Service Ontario.
You need a safety certificate for ontario registration which you will get it from a shop which can give this certificate for under $100.

MGBCPNPPR

Aug 31, 2021
The process is fairly straightforward.

You do not have to go through registrar RIV to temporarily import your US vehicle to canada. I do not recollect the step by step process since i did this 1 year back and still driving my temporarily imported vehicle in Canada.

I did export my vehicle from US through the US Border Protection office at border. Basically they give a seal in TITLE as exported.
From the Canada CBP you will get the temporary import document which you can take it to service ontario and they will issue a number plate and give permit. Your US Title will be surrendered to Service Ontario.
You need a safety certificate for ontario registration which you will get it from a shop which can give this certificate for under $100.
Thank you!