+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Procedural Fairness Letter

dwyspk

Feb 12, 2019
HI EVERYONE,
I have received PFL from CIC on Feb 6, 2019. Just wanted to see if any one has experienced this. Any advice would be appreciated. Below is my time line
Application received on Mar 21,2018
Medical request on September 18, 2018
Additional documents request on January 18, 2019
Approval of sponsorship on January 23, 2019
Procedural Fairness Letter on February 11, 2019

We applied under common law sponsorship. (moved in on March1,2017, married on Sep 22, 2018)
Documents we first submitted 1) Lease agreement 2) Driver License/Medical Card copy 3) supporting letters from two of applicant's family and friend 4) Joint bank account statement 5) 20 photos 6) Transfer of fund (from my husband's account to my account for investment) 7) Airline ticket that we travelled together
When I received my marriage certificate, I submitted it through website at once.
The first time we received additional document request, we submitted :1 ) 2016& 2017 Notice of assessment( filed separately as we did the tax on February, haven't meet the one-year common law requirement) 2)Past 12 months Our separate bank account statement 3) Declaration of common law relationship 4) We submitted our wedding photos as well.

Obviously, those document didn't satisfied our officer, so we received PFL.

Based on the limited evidence that you have provided, I am not satisfied that you and your sponsor
have been cohabiting in the same residence in a conjugal relationship for a period of at least one year
prior to the filing of your application. The Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and
Undertaking (IMM1344) was received in our office on March 21, 2018. Canadian courts have set out
the generally accepted characteristics of a conjugal relationship. These involve a mutual commitment
to a shared life and a relationship of some permanence where the two parties are interdependent and
have combined their affairs economically, socially, emotionally and physically. Based on the limited
evidence relative to your mutual cohabitation for a period of one year, I am not satisfied that you and
your sponsor meet the definition of a common-law partnership.
Subsection 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that a foreign national may be
selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, commonlaw
partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent
resident.
According to subsection 1(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, a common-law
partner means, in relation to a person, an individual who is cohabiting with the person in a conjugal
relationship, having so cohabited for a period of at least one year.
According to subsection 124(a) of the Regulations, a foreign national is a member of the spouse or
common-law partner in Canada class if they are the spouse or common-law partner of a sponsor and
cohabit with that sponsor in Canada.
Subsection 16(1) of the Act states that a person who makes an application must answer truthfully all
questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant
evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.
Subsections 72(1)(c) and 72(1)(d) of the Regulations indicates that a foreign national in Canada
becomes a permanent resident if, following an examination, it is established that they are a member
of that class and they meet the selection criteria and other requirements applicable to that class.

Now I have 30 days to submit any document that may satisfy the officer.
I am review my document and thinking what my problem may be?
1) Visa Officer specifically highlighted "having so cohabited for a period of at least one year" What else might be helpful? I am thinking of furniture purchase receipt, text message/telephone bill, landlord's letter. Anything else?
2) I didn't have employee benefit package or life insurance with my husband?
3) Is the officer only looking at the proof based on my common law relationship regardless of the fact that we are already married?
4) When I filed the application, I wanted to extend work visa, but I called CIC they told me there is still 15month on it, so you do need to do it right. Now with 4 month expiration date, I guess have to extend it first before submitting other documents?
5) We went back to China together on Dec.31,2017 to meet each other's parent. But I came back three weeks later than my husband. I checked on CIC, short-term separation is accepted, maybe I should write a letter to explain?
I know it's a very long email, but it's my last shot. Thanks everyone in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Short term separations are accepted however how long is allowed is up to the visa officer. We recommend that you keep separation down to less than three weeks to avoid this being classified as a break in continuous cohabitation. If you were separated for three or more weeks, that may be part of the problem.

dwyspk

Feb 12, 2019
how many months of joint bank acc statement did u have?

good luck.
For the first time submission, I only have 2, as we opened account on December,2017. But when later we received the additional document request, we submitted all we have till December,2018

dwyspk

Feb 12, 2019
Short term separations are accepted however how long is allowed is up to the visa officer. We recommend that you keep separation down to less than three weeks to avoid this being classified as a break in continuous cohabitation. If you were separated for three or more weeks, that may be part of the problem.
The reason why I came back late to Canada is because I was having medical treatment back home, will it work if I explain this? Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The reason why I came back late to Canada is because I was having medical treatment back home, will it work if I explain this? Thank you.
For continuous cohabitation, it's immaterial why you were apart. Either the officer is OK with the 3+ week break or he/she isn't. Having said that, I don't think there's any harm in explaining why there was a break.

allen80629

May 19, 2018
Richmond, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
15-01-2018
Doc's Request.
17-02-2018
AOR Received.
17-02-2018
Med's Request
03-07-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
The VO is looking for the evidences of cohabitation from March 21 2017 to March 21 2018. Your case will still be assessed under Common-law even though you get married after. The VO will only focus on the evidences they deem acceptable. Letters from friends or families or landlord (even notarized) or more photos won't help much. If you only provide your own separate bank account statements it won't help either. It will be helpful if you submit joint bank account statements showing you both shared daily expenses or save money together for at least 12 months. You have to give them concrete evidences that cover FULL 12 MONTHS from March 21, 2017 to March 21, 2018. If you cannot provide the solid proofs that cover FULL 12 MONTHS then your best chance is to come up with a good explanation and pray the VO will accept it. If you don't think the VO will be convinced then I will recommend to withdrawal the app and reapply as married couple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torablack

dwyspk

Feb 12, 2019
The VO is looking for the evidences of cohabitation from March 21 2017 to March 21 2018. Your case will still be assessed under Common-law even though you get married after. The VO will only focus on the evidences they deem acceptable. Letters from friends or families or landlord (even notarized) or more photos won't help much. If you only provide your own separate bank account statements it won't help either. It will be helpful if you submit joint bank account statements showing you both shared daily expenses or save money together for at least 12 months. You have to give them concrete evidences that cover FULL 12 MONTHS from March 21, 2017 to March 21, 2018. If you cannot provide the solid proofs that cover FULL 12 MONTHS then your best chance is to come up with a good explanation and pray the VO will accept it. If you don't think the VO will be convinced then I will recommend to withdrawal the app and reapply as married couple.
Thank you for the clarification. So I should only focus on that 12 month common law relationship.

Reactions: allen80629

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
Thank you for the clarification. So I should only focus on that 12 month common law relationship.
I'm not sure if this was covered already or not, but when you submit your response as to why you were away, you say it was for medical treatment, you should include proof. Doctor letter or bill or something

allen80629

May 19, 2018
Richmond, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
15-01-2018
Doc's Request.
17-02-2018
AOR Received.
17-02-2018
Med's Request
03-07-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
That is my opinion base on the content of PFL. The VO didn't mention any concern about your temporary separation. It's more about the amount and the quality of your 12 month cohabitation evidences. So if I were you I wouldn't spend too much time on explaining why you were separated for 3 weeks but instead gathering more solid proofs or preparing a good letter of explanation if you don't have any new evidences.

dwyspk

Feb 12, 2019
That is my opinion base on the content of PFL. The VO didn't mention any concern about your temporary separation. It's more about the amount and the quality of your 12 month cohabitation evidences. So if I were you I wouldn't spend too much time on explaining why you were separated for 3 weeks but instead gathering more solid proofs or preparing a good letter of explanation if you don't have any new evidences.
That's very useful advice. Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Good advice with the exception of the separate bank statements. Individual bank statements showing the same address over a one year period of time are a great common-law proof. Same goes for any type of individual documentation like IDs, payslips, letters, insurance, tax documents, shipping invoices etc.

Reactions: allen80629

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes. Regardless of the fact that you married mid-process, you applied as common-law and therefore must meet that requirement.

mike 1977

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
It seems he is concerned with the period of ONE YEAR. Do you have enough evidence for the period before March 21, 2017. If most of your evidence is from after March 21 2017 he may be concerned that it was not a full year. Even if he believes everything he may need more evidence to support that you indeed were cohabiting before March 21, 2017.

dwyspk

Feb 12, 2019
It seems he is concerned with the period of ONE YEAR. Do you have enough evidence for the period before March 21, 2017. If most of your evidence is from after March 21 2017 he may be concerned that it was not a full year. Even if he believes everything he may need more evidence to support that you indeed were cohabiting before March 21, 2017.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I tried go back to search more of the message, phone calls and more address evidences that occurred in this period.