+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Procedural Fairness Letter - Wait Time

Peter1997

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
Hi All, I received a PFL back in June 2021 as when I submitted my application I hadn't spent 12 months with my girlfriend in the same household (it was 11 months - my stupid mistake)! We have now been living together for 3.5 years (that is how long IRCC is taking).

I haven't heard anything since my response? Complete Silence...

What should I do? Do I just wait for a response as it seems like I will never get one? OR do I just withdraw my application and start again, as we now pass the minimum 12 months.

Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All, I received a PFL back in June 2021 as when I submitted my application I hadn't spent 12 months with my girlfriend in the same household (it was 11 months - my stupid mistake)! We have now been living together for 3.5 years (that is how long IRCC is taking).

I haven't heard anything since my response? Complete Silence...

What should I do? Do I just wait for a response as it seems like I will never get one? OR do I just withdraw my application and start again, as we now pass the minimum 12 months.

Thanks
If you have not done so, you should order gcms notes/inquire of your MP.

You had applied as common law?

There are other issues such as status of your spouse in Canada (and whether that depends on sponsorship app). So I'm very reluctant to say anything like advice. But yes, there is a possibility withdrawing and re-applying would be faster. But also possibility of refusal, or quick approval, or just more delays.

In normal times I'd've thought they'd decide you weren't commonlaw at time of application and refused. Don't know now.

Reactions: Peter1997

Peter1997

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
I will order GCMS notes today, thank you.

We did apply Common Law (Spouse is a citizen)

It was my mistake and I don't mind re-applying but it is the no response that is very frustrating.

Reactions: armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I will order GCMS notes today, thank you.

We did apply Common Law (Spouse is a citizen)

It was my mistake and I don't mind re-applying but it is the no response that is very frustrating.
I personally would have withdrawn the application and reapplied as soon as you received the PFL.

Since you didn't live together for the full 12 months before IRCC received your application, you don't meet the basic criteria to qualify for this category.

Agreed you've been waiting too long for an answer. When there's a PFL involved, this always pushes out processing times and makes your application non-standard. Unfortunately COVID processing delays made this that much worse.

Hard to say what to do at this point. Agree you might as well order GCMS notes but I'm not sure they are going to tell you anything you don't already know. Or maybe they will...

Good luck.

Reactions: armoured

Peter1997

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
Thank you both for your comments.

I will order my GCMS notes. If no update by the end of January, I will withdraw and re-submit my application.

Do either of you know how long it takes to withdraw an application?

Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you both for your comments.

I will order my GCMS notes. If no update by the end of January, I will withdraw and re-submit my application.

Do either of you know how long it takes to withdraw an application?

Thanks
The problem compared to normal is gcms notes are backed up, I recall hearing avg ~75 days or so right now.

Honestly don't know what to do here - would be a drag to withdraw and then find later they decided to let it go (assuming you've been living together since). But as @scylla put it, that would be unusual, since you really did not meet the criteria (which they seem to be picky about normally).

You might try your Mp's office. Chances are they won't get much more concrete than what you already know ('processing' or pending or something), but on the outside chance you get something clear out of them.

Otherwise no better than a guess either way.

Reactions: scylla