+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problem with previous Visa, is PR possible?

Blaciqui

Feb 28, 2018
Hi Everybody

I know this is a strange request but I will try to explain myself and make it simple at the same time.

I am a Spanish 29 years old civil engineer with a master’s degree. I have lived in Canada with a Working Holiday Visa. My problem is that when I had 1 month of visa left I found a job as an engineer and I kept working for the company when my visa expired in order to become better at my job and ask to the manager for a Young Professionals Visa.

I got this visa but the problem is that when I went to the border to activate the Young Professionals visa the agent asked me if I have worked illegaly, I lied to him and said no. He didn’t believe me and, at the end, I confessed everything. I didn’t get the visa activated and they took my passport.

The officer said that because I have lied to him he was not going to activate my visa and because I was working illegally I had to leave the country, he took my passport and asked me to buy a plane ticket in the next 10 days. He said that he was going to write this in my profile. He also something about the Canadian Revenue going to the company but I have been in touch with my boss and they hadn’t receive anything from CRA or any other agency.

He also said, and this I think is important, that my Young Professionals Visa is not rejected the visa is still valid he just denied my entrance to Canada. He said –and I am quoting him- “This doesn’t mean that your visa is denied, you can try to come back in 6 months (?), and if you prove that your company still wants you you shouldn’t have any problem” I don’t know why he said 6 months, but that’s what he said.

Ok, this my story. I know that I did wrong but it was my only opportunity(to work for that company, get the visa and try to activate the visa).

Now I’m thinking about going back, the officer said that I should have no problem and the company still wants me. But Young professionals visa only last for one year and don’t want “to lose” one year knowing that I can’t stay longer, so I want to apply for Express Entry, assuming that I have enough points and that everything goes well do I have any chance to get the PR?

I don’t know if I’m asking in the right place but if I’m not please I would appreciate any help or guidance. Maybe I can ask in a Canadian embassy or maybe do you think that a lawyer can solve this doubt?

Thanks a lot

P.D: Also I would like straight answers. I mean, I know that what I did is wrong and action carries consequences so don't try to mellow your answer.

P.D2: I have post this in the Express Entry thread, I'm not flooding I just don't know where to post it exactly, any mod feel free to delete it.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi Everybody

I know this is a strange request but I will try to explain myself and make it simple at the same time.

I am a Spanish 29 years old civil engineer with a master’s degree. I have lived in Canada with a Working Holiday Visa. My problem is that when I had 1 month of visa left I found a job as an engineer and I kept working for the company when my visa expired in order to become better at my job and ask to the manager for a Young Professionals Visa.

I got this visa but the problem is that when I went to the border to activate the Young Professionals visa the agent asked me if I have worked illegaly, I lied to him and said no. He didn’t believe me and, at the end, I confessed everything. I didn’t get the visa activated and they took my passport.

The officer said that because I have lied to him he was not going to activate my visa and because I was working illegally I had to leave the country, he took my passport and asked me to buy a plane ticket in the next 10 days. He said that he was going to write this in my profile. He also something about the Canadian Revenue going to the company but I have been in touch with my boss and they hadn’t receive anything from CRA or any other agency.

He also said, and this I think is important, that my Young Professionals Visa is not rejected the visa is still valid he just denied my entrance to Canada. He said –and I am quoting him- “This doesn’t mean that your visa is denied, you can try to come back in 6 months (?), and if you prove that your company still wants you you shouldn’t have any problem” I don’t know why he said 6 months, but that’s what he said.

Ok, this my story. I know that I did wrong but it was my only opportunity(to work for that company, get the visa and try to activate the visa).

Now I’m thinking about going back, the officer said that I should have no problem and the company still wants me. But Young professionals visa only last for one year and don’t want “to lose” one year knowing that I can’t stay longer, so I want to apply for Express Entry, assuming that I have enough points and that everything goes well do I have any chance to get the PR?

I don’t know if I’m asking in the right place but if I’m not please I would appreciate any help or guidance. Maybe I can ask in a Canadian embassy or maybe do you think that a lawyer can solve this doubt?

Thanks a lot

P.D: Also I would like straight answers. I mean, I know that what I did is wrong and action carries consequences so don't try to mellow your answer.

P.D2: I have post this in the Express Entry thread, I'm not flooding I just don't know where to post it exactly, any mod feel free to delete it.
1, As you worked without authorization, You can't get a new work permit for 6 months after you have left Canada, Regulation 200.3(e)

Exceptions Exceptions
(3) An officer shall not issue a work permit to a foreign
national if
(a) there are reasonable grounds to believe that the
foreign national is unable to perform the work sought;
(b) in the case of a foreign national who intends to
work in the Province of Quebec and does not hold a
Certificat d’acceptation du Québec, a determination
under section 203 is required and the laws of that
Province require that the foreign national hold a Certificat
d’acceptation du Québec;
(c) the work that the foreign national intends to perform
is likely to adversely affect the settlement of any
labour dispute in progress or the employment of any
person involved in the dispute;
(d) [Repealed, SOR/2017-78, s. 8]
(e) the foreign national has engaged in unauthorized
study or work in Canada or has failed to comply with a
condition of a previous permit or authorization unless
(i) a period of six months has elapsed since the cessation
of the unauthorized work or study or failure

to comply with a condition,

Reactions: Blaciqui

Blaciqui

Feb 28, 2018
Thanks PMM. Do you know anything about my chances getting the PR? Can people get the PR even if they have worked illegally?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks PMM. Do you know anything about my chances getting the PR? Can people get the PR even if they have worked illegally?
You can apply for PR.

However you should be aware that you will not be able to count any of your illegal work as work experience towards any immigration program in Canada. In other words, you'll get zero credit for your illegal work and can't use it to help you qualify to immigrate.

Blaciqui

Feb 28, 2018
You can apply for PR.
And do I have real options? Let's say that I have everything right, enough points, etc, etc will they decline my PR request as soon as they know that I worked illegally?

Sorry for been so tiresome but I need to be sure that, if everything is normal, the fact that I worked illegally will not play against me

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will have to be honest and apologize and hope for the best. Yes you have a chance since you are young and skilled worker who has Canadian experience. It will be up to the visa officer but never lie again.

Blaciqui

Feb 28, 2018
You will have to be honest and apologize and hope for the best. Yes you have a chance since you are young and skilled worker who has Canadian experience. It will be up to the visa officer but never lie again.
I know.... As soon as I said that I didn't work illegally i knew that I was going to have problems. At the end I think that the officer understood me and without asking he said that I could come back in 6 months... and even asked me for my parents... Canada as its best!

Well thanks for all the replies now I have to do some thinking.