+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

problem with a Citizenship application in 2019

amirg

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
Hi friends,
I need your suggestions regarding the below case:

my mother applied for citizenship grant in June 2019 and she did her interview in December 2019. then we received another email in Feb 2021 from the officer, mentioning they noticed that she doesn't have enough days (1095). Seems we put the wrong date for exit/entry by mistake and she lost 2 months.
Anyhow, they sent the application to Citizenship Judge in May 2021 and since then we didn't get any update.
My question is what do you think? Shall I withdraw the request and apply from scratch?

thanks

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
General rule, if her physical presence was found to be under 1095 days, she cannot, by law, become a Canadian citizen with her current application, and that application will be denied at some point in the future.
Yes, withdrawing will definitely save her time...

amirg

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
General rule, if her physical presence was found to be under 1095 days, she cannot, by law, become a Canadian citizen with her current application, and that application will be denied at some point in the future.
Thanks for the answer.

one more question, if I withdraw the application now, is there any way to explain the reason for the new application, at least can save time for the interview and other processing? Do you have any idea about this?
and the last question, which way is better to apply now? Paper or Online?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The only explanation you need : a mistake was made on the physical presence calculator, making the total number of days under 1095. No need to speak about time saved or other considerations.

As for paper or online : your guess is as good as mine...

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks for the answer.

one more question, if I withdraw the application now, is there any way to explain the reason for the new application, at least can save time for the interview and other processing? Do you have any idea about this?
and the last question, which way is better to apply now? Paper or Online?
Why do you want to withdraw when she has enough days of physical presence.
Its same waiting game. They will anyway verify on why it was withdrawn and more scrutiny for second application too. So get it over with this delay in first application itself.
Submit webform the updated physcial presence and explain that she has enough days in physical presence and mention that it was a typing mistake in the original application. I dont see any major problem. Not all applications are accurate, lot of applications have mistakes.
if she didnt really have enough days then you can withdraw but if not then i dont see a reason to do it.
Also due to this corana period, citizenship judge stage might take time. So wait for it. Prepare all evidences of entry and exit in the form of tickets, boarding passes etc and get ready with new physcial precense form and be ready to be presented in front of that judge whenever you get to be called. She should be fine.

I dont see any issue as they are saying they have enough days. Having less days and mentioning more days is a problem, not vice versa.
This clear shows that how cic is verifying the physcial presence days. i dont know as i am still confused on how they find issues on number of days for some applicant but not for some.
If cic officer verified the entries from cbsa travel history then this wouldnt have come up.

Reactions: amirg

amirg

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
Why do you want to withdraw when she has enough days of physical presence.
Its same waiting game. They will anyway verify on why it was withdrawn and more scrutiny for second application too. So get it over with this delay in first application itself.
Submit webform the updated physcial presence and explain that she has enough days in physical presence and mention that it was a typing mistake in the original application. I dont see any major problem. Not all applications are accurate, lot of applications have mistakes.
if she didnt really have enough days then you can withdraw but if not then i dont see a reason to do it.
Also due to this corana period, citizenship judge stage might take time. So wait for it. Prepare all evidences of entry and exit in the form of tickets, boarding passes etc and get ready with new physcial precense form and be ready to be presented in front of that judge whenever you get to be called. She should be fine.

I dont see any issue as they are saying they have enough days. Having less days and mentioning more days is a problem, not vice versa.
This clear shows that how cic is verifying the physcial presence days. i dont know as i am still confused on how they find issues on number of days for some applicant but not for some.
If cic officer verified the entries from cbsa travel history then this wouldnt have come up.

Thanks for the explanation.

the issue is when we applied for citizenship in May 2019, we put the wrong entry/exit date because of converting the date from the local date to Gregorian Calendar.
for example, we wrote June instead of August. so when we applied she had 1033 days, not 1095!!! Anyhow, She did the interview in December but during covid, the new officer noticed she doesn't have enough physical presence.

as you mentioned to submit a web form, the new physical presence should be based on the date we've applied? I mean from 2015 to 2019 or a new date from now?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks for the explanation.

the issue is when we applied for citizenship in May 2019, we put the wrong entry/exit date because of converting the date from the local date to Gregorian Calendar.
for example, we wrote June instead of August. so when we applied she had 1033 days, not 1095!!! Anyhow, She did the interview in December but during covid, the new officer noticed she doesn't have enough physical presence.

as you mentioned to submit a web form, the new physical presence should be based on the date we've applied? I mean from 2015 to 2019 or a new date from now?
Ok. I misunderstood. Then, as @Seym said you need to withdraw to avoid wasting your time and their time if you had less than 1095 days. I thought it was reverse and you had enough days.
No point in waiting for moving further when you dont have enough days. Re-Apply online and its fast nowadays.

Reactions: scylla and amirg

amirg

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
Thanks for your help.
If I withdraw the application, do I need to pay again for the fee? or still can use the previous receipt?

CDN1234

Jun 25, 2019
Thanks for your help.
If I withdraw the application, do I need to pay again for the fee? or still can use the previous receipt?
You will need to pay $630 again. You cannot use the previous receipt.

Here are the suggested steps you should take:
1. Submit a completed CIT 0027 form to the local processing office and attach the previous receipt
2. Complete a new application that has everything IRCC needs, like photos, passport photocopy and a new fee receipt. Make sure you have the correct dates. If you're not sure, you should request a CBSA travel history.
3. Send in the new application

Next steps:
1. IRCC will decide whether to accept your request or not
2. If they do, you'll get your citizenship fee back, but not the processing fee
3. Wait to hear back from IRCC