+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problem boarding a plane with CoPR (IMM-5688) but no eTA

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Hello everyone

Has anyone had any problem boarding a plane to Canada with CoPR (IMM-5688) but without eTA?
I'm asking cause the letter I've received along with my CoPR after my application for PR was approved, states that:

"IMM-5688 for is linked to your passport with an electronic facilitation counterfoil (eFoil) and acts like the equivalent of an electronic travel authorization (eTA), allowing you to travel to Canada an immigration visa. You do not need to apply for an eTA."

I also found some information saying that some airlines might have a problem if you don't have an eTA. I contacted my airline but nobody in that call center was able to tell me anything.

Thanks a lot

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Where are you from? I would just take that letter with you to the airport that says you have the equivalent of an ETA. Not really sure about the requirements for COPR, as I got an ETA automatically with my post graduate work permit. I am from the UK.

thourb

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've not tried yet, but am in possession of my COPR and will be travelling in early March. Applied for eTA for both myself and my partner (who is primary applicant) and we were both approved for eTA. I'd rather be 100% sure and cover all bases than take a chance we'll be turned away from our flight. For what it's worth, the IRCC website states that you don't need an eTA:

From: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=23

I have a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) and will travel to Canada. Do I need an eTA?
No. If you are from a visa-exempt country and have a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document, you don’t need an eTA. However, if you haven’t received this document before your planned travel to Canada, you will need to apply for an eTA.

If you are from a visa-required country, a permanent resident visa will automatically be issued in your passport for your travel to Canada.

In both cases, make sure you travel to Canada with your valid passport and your valid Confirmation of Permanent Residence document.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
True. Just to be safe I suppose. Doesn't cost that much. You can get confirmation at the airport if needed anyway. Good luck

It looks like I will not need one either (UK) when I apply for PR :)

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Thanks for your responses
I sent an email to the embassy of Canada today asking the same question and literally 10 minutes ago a lady called me from the Canadian Embassy and said that I don't need eTA and just my CoPR and passport and she's calling just to make it clear.

Reactions: russ6970

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Coz you're stamped visa in the PP is the important thing for the airline people to see, when you arrive in Canada and land, immigration will cross the stamped visa and it's now invalid.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Coz you're stamped visa in the PP is the important thing for the airline people to see, when you arrive in Canada and land, immigration will cross the stamped visa and it's now invalid.

I don't need a visa to go to Canada just an eTA normally (I'm from a visa-exempt country) but with the CoPR there is one automatically issued.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was from visa exempt country, but I still went for ETA (last thing I wanted to argue with somebody and miss my flight because of that). I was also unsure about it. I know that ETA was approved like within 5 mins (after I had sent my online application).

Shippo

Jan 12, 2019
Thanks for your responses
I sent an email to the embassy of Canada today asking the same question and literally 10 minutes ago a lady called me from the Canadian Embassy and said that I don't need eTA and just my CoPR and passport and she's calling just to make it clear.
So you finally went to Canada and were allowed to board without eTA? I'm looking forward to your feedback. My departure is imminent.

Thank you.

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018
Once you have been issued a COPR from Canada and you would normally require an eTA to travel you can board the plane without an eTA. So long as you have a valid copr and passport and both with you at the time. I flew from NZ to Canada and didn't need an eTA just showed my copr and was given my boarding pass.

anyone traveling with you without a COPR must have a valid eTA to travel.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Once you have been issued a COPR from Canada and you would normally require an eTA to travel you can board the plane without an eTA. So long as you have a valid copr and passport and both with you at the time. I flew from NZ to Canada and didn't need an eTA just showed my copr and was given my boarding pass.

anyone traveling with you without a COPR must have a valid eTA to travel.
Applicants are issued an electronic authorization like the eTA when the COPR is approved, just like non visa-exempt people are issued a TRV. This is what allowed you to board.

Shippo

Jan 12, 2019
Hi there,

I was concerned about this question a few days ago (see my post above). Now I can say for sure that I successfully landed WITHOUT (applying for) an eTA to close this debate once and for all. The airline didn't bother checking whether I had an eTA or CoPR but just checked my visa-free passport to allow me to board. And CBSA just checked my passport and CoPR to allow me in at the airport of destination.

So once again as specified here (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16), there's ABSOLUTELY no need to apply for an eTA to seek admission to Canada as a new PR if you are in possession of a valid CoPR. However, some airlines might be ignorant and trouble you if you don't show them eTA but CoPR instead, make sure to help them understand that you are 100% correct and within your rights to do so.

By the way, the immigration officer who granted me admission insisted that it would be necessary to have a PRTD to come back to Canada from now on if not in possession of a valid PR Card.

Hope this helps.