+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Privileges and Guardianship of a PR who turned 18 years old in Canada

eevie

May 16, 2022
My daughter immigrated as a PR in 2020 and is turning 18y/o this year. Will her privileges be the same as that on an adult then?
When will her dad's legal guardianship end or when when will she cease to be considered a dependent child?
I signed the IMM 5604E as of her dad's application process for their PR. Does that mean I am no longer considered her legal guardian even if she's still a passport holder of my country?
Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My daughter immigrated as a PR in 2020 and is turning 18y/o this year. Will her privileges be the same as that on an adult then?
When will her dad's legal guardianship end or when when will she cease to be considered a dependent child?
I signed the IMM 5604E as of her dad's application process for their PR. Does that mean I am no longer considered her legal guardian even if she's still a passport holder of my country?
Thank you.
This may help.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you.
She will be considered an adult at age 18, yes, and have the same rights and privileges as other PRs who are adults.

"Dependent child" - depends on context. Immigration can treat some as dependents for longer for certain purposes. There may be other contexts where 'dependency' is relevant.

So it's not really clear what you're asking. For the most part, those who turn 18 no longer have legal guardians, and are responsible for themselves before the law.

But again, I'm not clear if I've understood the details of your situation, or what question exactly you're trying to answer.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thank you.
1. Depending on the Province, the age of majority is either 18 or 19. Once she reaches her majority, you will no longer be her guardian.