+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Private sponsorship of a resident of a Lebanese refugee camp, for Palestinians

John Doyle

Oct 28, 2018
Hello, I live in Canada,/am Canadian resident, but am teaching in Lebanon this year. I've met a person who has resided in a Palestinian refugee camp, for three years. She's from Syria, and was displaced by the fighting there. She asked me about possibility of gaining entry to Canada as a refugee. I'm somewhat familiar, but not at all an expert on the process. My sense is that there is the possibility for her to be privately sponsored by a group of 5 sponsors, who would vouchsafe her expenses for the first few years (two?) of her residency in Canada. But, there are, I know, many other considerations. I don't know, for example, if she is officially on any refugee list, either of UNHCR, UNRWA, or Lebanese Government. My sense is that she's officially "counted" as a resident of the camp by UNRWA, but I don't know if there's any connection at all between this and what the Government of Canada takes as "official" recognition of refugee status. Is there anyone out there who has any experience in something similar? Or, has a sense of where one could do to get reliable information which I could pass on to this person?

Another, related question---I was told that there had been a Federal Government moratorium put into effect on private sponsorships, because of a yearly quota having been reached, on this category of refugee into Canada. Is this the case? And, if so, would it cease in January of 2019?
Sincerely,
John

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, I live in Canada,/am Canadian resident, but am teaching in Lebanon this year. I've met a person who has resided in a Palestinian refugee camp, for three years. She's from Syria, and was displaced by the fighting there. She asked me about possibility of gaining entry to Canada as a refugee. I'm somewhat familiar, but not at all an expert on the process. My sense is that there is the possibility for her to be privately sponsored by a group of 5 sponsors, who would vouchsafe her expenses for the first few years (two?) of her residency in Canada. But, there are, I know, many other considerations. I don't know, for example, if she is officially on any refugee list, either of UNHCR, UNRWA, or Lebanese Government. My sense is that she's officially "counted" as a resident of the camp by UNRWA, but I don't know if there's any connection at all between this and what the Government of Canada takes as "official" recognition of refugee status. Is there anyone out there who has any experience in something similar? Or, has a sense of where one could do to get reliable information which I could pass on to this person?

Sincerely,
John
Is the refugee camp managed or overseen by an NGO or any government agency? IMO your best bet would be to speak with someone in Lebanon who can confirm the status of those living in that camp - and specifically the person you have met. Good luck.

And yes - if she is officially recognized as a refugee the sponsorship is possible through the Group of 5 route. Of course she or you would need to know someone in Canada who is willing to act as sponsors.

Reactions: Buletruck