+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Private insurance that covers pediatric care during the 90 day wait period for BC MSP

dm88

Oct 2, 2019
Hello,
I will be moving to Vancouver in March 2020 with a 2 month old new born. Can you suggest some private insurance plans for the 90 days wait period that specifically cover pediatric care. My newborn will have to visit the pediatrician atleast 6 times over a period of 90 days to get her medical immunizations etc while I wait for my BC MSP. I spoke to an insurance agent and he informed me that these temporary (90 days) private insurance policies only cover emergency medical care and hospitalization and that I would have to pay for specialized care from my pocket. I dont think that is true. I am sure there are many private insurance plans that are ready to cover these expenses if you are willing to pay their premium. Thoughts/suggestions?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
I will be moving to Vancouver in March 2020 with a 2 month old new born. Can you suggest some private insurance plans for the 90 days wait period that specifically cover pediatric care. My newborn will have to visit the pediatrician atleast 6 times over a period of 90 days to get her medical immunizations etc while I wait for my BC MSP. I spoke to an insurance agent and he informed me that these temporary (90 days) private insurance policies only cover emergency medical care and hospitalization and that I would have to pay for specialized care from my pocket. I dont think that is true. I am sure there are many private insurance plans that are ready to cover these expenses if you are willing to pay their premium. Thoughts/suggestions?
It is true. It is a losing situation for an insurance company to cover regular care. You will need to pay for such costs yourself.

dm88

Oct 2, 2019
It is true. It is a losing situation for an insurance company to cover regular care. You will need to pay for such costs yourself.
Thank you so much. Thats really unfortunate. I guess the only way to proceed is to enter the country with a job so that the employer covers this insurance. The cost per pediatric visit is atleast CAD 500 exclusive of pharmaceutical expenses.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much. Thats really unfortunate. I guess the only way to proceed is to enter the country with a job so that the employer covers this insurance. The cost per pediatric visit is atleast CAD 500 exclusive of pharmaceutical expenses.
Employers won't cover it either. Employee health plans are simply extensions of provincial health coverage. They don't cover things that the province covers, such as doctor visits.

dm88

Oct 2, 2019
Employers won't cover it either. Employee health plans are simply extensions of provincial health coverage. They don't cover things that the province covers, such as doctor visits.
oh wow. so you really have to wait for the MSP to kick in?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
oh wow. so you really have to wait for the MSP to kick in?
I can't comment on MSP since I live in Ontario. However employer insurance definitely sits on top of provincial health care insurance. In other words, it covers the things provincial insurances does not - it doesn't replace it. So if something is normally covered by provincial insurance (but you're not yet covered) - this won't fall under your employer's policy. Also, most employee insurance policies require you to have provincial coverage before they will provide you with the additional coverage (specifically because the employer insurance sits on top of the provincial).

EDIT: Ultimately you'll need to look at the employer's policy fine print. But safe to assume it won't cover or replace the provincial plan stuff.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also add that paediatricians normally don’t see healthy children in Canada. The whole family sees a GP. You will have to try and find one who is accepting new patients. Depending where you are that can be tough especially right away.