+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

private health care companies in Ontario that cover pregancy costs?

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
03-11-2016, AOR2 24-11-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I was wondering if there are private options to explore if one does not have OHIP, that would cover pregnancy costs (visitis to a gynecologists, scans, blood test, etc, and the delivery in a hospital). I know there are midwives that are apparently free in Ontario (I am a temporary worker), and that home delivery is thus free with the help of a midwife, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations about companies. I was already recommended one, safevisit.ca which looks good, although it is not clear to me if I'd have to pay, say 1600 CAD, is that a month or total? and how big a coverage does that give me? And most of all, would they cover pregnancy costs (I am not pregnant yet). Also, I was wondering if anyone knows what the costs are for gynecologist visits and tests during pregnancy in Toronto, if one does not have any medical coverage?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is an insurance that will cover pregnancy and childbirth if you sign up for it at least 10 months before the baby is born. I am not an insurance broker so can't tell you what company that is but there are insurance brokers on this forum. One of them is the user named haver. You should ask him.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Thanks! I got a reply, but from what I understood,the pregnancy coverage is only 10 000 which is not much if it is to cater for both the pregnancy and delivery, unless I misunderstood.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've heard a few people say $5000 to 10000 for delivery but some have said as little as between 3 and 4,000 for a normal delivery and 6,000 to 7,000 for a C section. You can check with different hospital. If there are complications, it can skyrocket though.

However, if you are a temporary worker with a work permit, why don't you have OHIP?

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
As for a private Canadian Pregnancy Insurance, which is a supplement to a regular medical emergency insurance plan for Visitors to Canada, you may be eligible for a reimbursement of up to 80% for all approved pregnancy related costs including pre-natal care as well as delivery for a total of $10,000.

Pregnancy Coverage is provided for:

Pregnancy complications i.e. bleedings, abdominal pain, pre-mature birth, miscarriage, etc.
Delivery
Pre-natal care
Nursing care

Eligibility Requirements:

The insurance policy period has to be at least 12 months.
You must NOT fall pregnant for at least 2 months after the effective date (start date) on your insurance policy commences.

That would be the only option to receive the coverage for pregnancy related costs, if you are visiting Canada and not eligible for a Government Health Insurance in any Canadian province or territory.

You can read about it using the link below.

Pregnancy Insurance supplement for Visitors to Canada

Last edited:

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
great, thanks, so it is TIC then. I didn't apply for OIHP last year and am now in the process of extending my permit, we'll see what happens, but because I am actually paid through an institution in my home country, I'm not sure I'll qualify for OIHP, I have a job offer, but it's an academic position, so we'll see if that will make me eligible, but my fear is it will not, hence my questions.

As for the insurance, it seems I qualify, I am not and will not be pregnant still for a while, and getting the insurance for over 12 months will not be a problem. But tell me, is the cost of the insurance,say, 1200CAD, to be paid once, or would I need to pay 1200 a month to get the coverage?

And finally, I looked around for info on birth costs and it seems that on top of the actual delivery, in which the doctors need to be paid, there are also hospital day prices to be paid, so if the delivery is without complications, on top of the, say 4 000 price for the delivery (can I choose a hospital I want to give birth in?) there would be at least another 4000 for two days in a hospital, or eve more, yes? Or does the hospital stay the day before the delivery (when labour started) and the day after count as 'delivery' (one cost?). If not, what is typical here, do hospitals insist mothers and newborns stay long, can they leave at any time, and what tests/attention is given to the infant? (his father is a Canadian citizen, does that mean that the baby would have OHIP automatically?)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please talk to the insurance broker about the price of the insurance. Insurance usually takes your money periodically. You can not pay $1200 once and be covered for the rest of your life even if you end up having 10 kids. The insurance doesn't make any money that way. 1200 a month is a bit too much though. Even if you get pregnant soon and end up having a baby after 10 months, you would already have paid $12,000 and if their pregnancy coverage is only $10,000 you would in that case be better off skipping the insurance. If somebody told you 1200, I find it more likely it would be 1200 per year. Sounds reasonable. But please clear this with the insurance broker.

As for the hospital cost, I have heard people say they paid 3500 total getting a special deal at the hospital because the husband was a Canadian citizen so I don't think they would forget to mention if they paid double the amount extra on top of that. However, you have to clear that with the hospital. Ask if whatever they tell you it costs is including everything or if there are extra costs.

The baby will be born Canadian and gets OHIP starting from birth.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Leon said:
As for the hospital cost, I have heard people say they paid 3500 total getting a special deal at the hospital because the husband was a Canadian citizen so I don't think they would forget to mention if they paid double the amount extra on top of that. However, you have to clear that with the hospital. Ask if whatever they tell you it costs is including everything or if there are extra costs.
And if you can use a midwife you have the option to deliver in a hospital at an extremely discounted rate. Midwives have their own dedicated rooms in hospitals and access to emergency services if required, however if it's a simple pregnancy with no complications the (free) midwives will do everything so you will not even see a doctor or nurse, and you can be discharged around 4 hrs after the delivery so no need for an overnight stay. There will just be a very basic cost from the hospital in this case.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I didn't realize that a hospital birth could also be conducted by a midwife, I guess that would take care of the cost of the doctors (if there are no problems, knock on wood), and then even if there's an overnight stay the 10 000 from the insurance could go almost exclusively for that, so it is starting to look good. I found a company that does the pre-natal and delivery costs, so now I guess all I have to do is wait for my work permit to be extended (knock on wood!!!!!!!!!), sign the insurance deal, and then wait at least 2 months before getting pregnant? I'm assuming that the cost of the insurance is the 1200 per year, as you said, it wouldn't make sense if it was monthly, and of course the insured period is usually 12 months or more, correct?

Dotsngr

Nov 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good day all, pls I need advice for my case. I intend to land in Ontario soonest but my EDD will materialise before the mandatory 3 months wait. I also understand that most private insurance will not attend to me now since I am heavily pregnant. Pls what other cheaper options do I have to achieve delivery in Ontario without breaking the bank? Or is there any affordanle private indurance for heavily pregnant women in Ontario?

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately, not a single company will cover the pregnancy or the delivery if you are already pregnancy. You can still get covered for non pregnancy related emergencies though even though you are pregnant.
You would need a visitors insurance policy. You can look at the rates here.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dotsngr said:
Good day all, pls I need advice for my case. I intend to land in Ontario soonest but my EDD will materialise before the mandatory 3 months wait. I also understand that most private insurance will not attend to me now since I am heavily pregnant. Pls what other cheaper options do I have to achieve delivery in Ontario without breaking the bank? Or is there any affordanle private indurance for heavily pregnant women in Ontario?
If you read the thread you posted on, you see that midwives are being discussed and that would be the cheapest option by far.

Other options may include not settling in Ontario but in another province that has first day health care coverage or otherwise doing a short landing and then returning to your home country and having the baby there although this could be a hassle because you will have to sponsor the baby for PR.

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
Lady_Ashka said:
I didn't realize that a hospital birth could also be conducted by a midwife, I guess that would take care of the cost of the doctors (if there are no problems, knock on wood), and then even if there's an overnight stay the 10 000 from the insurance could go almost exclusively for that, so it is starting to look good. I found a company that does the pre-natal and delivery costs, so now I guess all I have to do is wait for my work permit to be extended (knock on wood!!!!!!!!!), sign the insurance deal, and then wait at least 2 months before getting pregnant? I'm assuming that the cost of the insurance is the 1200 per year, as you said, it wouldn't make sense if it was monthly, and of course the insured period is usually 12 months or more, correct?
The quote was for 1 year - and the premium is yearly, not monthly. The duration is 12 months - extensions are available if needed.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...