+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Principal Applicant (Inland) Dependent (Outland) during COVID-19

AJ199101

Star Member
Feb 6, 2020
Hi All,
need some serious help.
I had applied for Spouse Work permit almost at the same time as is applied for permanent residence (PA in Canada, Spouse outside) back in February 2021.

July 28 - I received my very first email requesting information to finalize PR application
Aug 12 - Spouse work permit got finalized and ircc issued passport request for Work Permit. She submitted the passport.
Aug 16 - i received my login credentials and NO passport request for my spouse.

from my understanding, if I get issued e-copr, my wife will NOT be able to travel on a spouse work permit. (is this correct?)

i am really confused on what's going on. what should i do?
That is correct you need to secure your ecopr first and she will revive her new PPR request ? Which country is your dependant in ?

Mann Gill

Jul 26, 2021
It is definitely have longer wait time as compared to inland applicants. Some applicants who have AOR in March received approval and passport request for dependents. I applied in April end but no update yet.
I applied in jan 2021.nothing till today

Mann Gill

Jul 26, 2021
Should we ll have to withdraw application as cec applicant with outland dependents n apply again as individual.wat do u think guys?it ll help us to get PR more faster thn applicant with Outland dependents but already wasted months in it.when it ll come? Hard to predict but any satisfactory ans which give us courage to wait.

Whateverman

Jul 1, 2020
I swear I am gonna lose my fucking mind.
After receiving PR confirmation portal credentials and uploading everything on July 26th, I now get an email from IRCC in my GCKey asking for MY and MY DEPENDENT'S medicals...
Like are youfucking kidding me? They are asking for MY MEDICALS after I even uploaded my picture in the portal?

What about the freaking public policy of Temporary public policy exempting some foreign nationals in Canada from requiring an immigration medical exam?
I have no words. Anyone in same boat or do I have a special case here?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/temporary-public-policy-exempting-some-foreign-nationals-canada-requiring-immigration-medical-exam.html

Mann Gill

Jul 26, 2021
I swear I am gonna lose my fucking mind.
After receiving PR confirmation portal credentials and uploading everything on July 26th, I now get an email from IRCC in my GCKey asking for MY and MY DEPENDENT'S medicals...
Like are youfucking kidding me? They are asking for MY MEDICALS after I even uploaded my picture in the portal?

What about the freaking public policy of Temporary public policy exempting some foreign nationals in Canada from requiring an immigration medical exam?
I have no words. Anyone in same boat or do I have a special case here?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/temporary-public-policy-exempting-some-foreign-nationals-canada-requiring-immigration-medical-exam.html
Keep calm .upload medical as soon as possible.u ll get ecopr as u r 2019 applicant n u submit ur medical may be that time so do it n let things move for u.I don’t know what can be the other option.

Reactions: gps2089 and Shik18

Whateverman

Jul 1, 2020
Keep calm .upload medical as soon as possible.u ll get ecopr as u r 2019 applicant n u submit ur medical may be that time so do it n let things move for u.I don’t know what can be the other option.
I literally thought getting PR confirmation stuff was the last step but NOPE.

Shik18

Star Member
Mar 27, 2021
What I have noticed is , they are asking for remedical for almost all Outland dependents irrespective yo their medical expiry date. And in the remedical process they have added a new section to inform the physician if your vaccination is done(not a mandatory step) but they are making notes if your Outland dependents are fully or partially vaccinated. May be remedical is now a mandatory steps for all the Outland before releasing PPR. Guys let’s be positive and keep calm . We all have come a long way , I hope things will get better soon

Whateverman

Jul 1, 2020
What I have noticed is , they are asking for remedical for almost all Outland dependents irrespective yo their medical expiry date. And in the remedical process they have added a new section to inform the physician if your vaccination is done(not a mandatory step) but they are making notes if your Outland dependents are fully or partially vaccinated. May be remedical is now a mandatory steps for all the Outland before releasing PPR. Guys let’s be positive and keep calm . We all have come a long way , I hope things will get better soon
I am not even outland. I am PA and already even got PR confirmation bullshit they sent.

Nick_1919

Jun 30, 2021
Hi All,
need some serious help.
I had applied for Spouse Work permit almost at the same time as is applied for permanent residence (PA in Canada, Spouse outside) back in February 2021.

July 28 - I received my very first email requesting information to finalize PR application
Aug 12 - Spouse work permit got finalized and ircc issued passport request for Work Permit. She submitted the passport.
Aug 16 - i received my login credentials and NO passport request for my spouse.

from my understanding, if I get issued e-copr, my wife will NOT be able to travel on a spouse work permit. (is this correct?)

i am really confused on what's going on. what should i do?
You are confused because you don't understand the nature of immigration process.
There are TWO main categories for outland spouses in PR applications:
1. Your spouse has never been to Canada
2. Your spouse have a status in Canada (study/work permit)

One more time, your spouse is outland Canada as of now. BUT it is important if she/he stayed in Canada before she/he decided to accompany you in your PR application.
It can be confusing but it is vital to understand that. Depends on this information IRCC will follow one of two different instructions:

First one (if your spouse has never been to Canada):
IRCC will issue a PPR to her for stamping a one-time PR visa. So she is able to come to Canada and activate her PR status

Second one (if your spouse had/has a status in Canada (study/work permit)):
Looks like it is your case. You said that your spouse's WP has been finalized.
Your spouse has to have a valid TRV (temporary resident visa) along with her study or work permit. Usually, when IRCC approves a WP application, they issue a PPR (passport request) too.
What is the next step?
Your spouse has to use her valid TRV and come back to Canada. That's it. The border officer can issue a COPR for her if she is able to explain what she needs to and what is her status OR she can just enter Canada and activate her PR status through a landing unit (confirmation portal).

Unfortunately, those spouses who don't have a valid TRV but have a valid WP, have to apply for a new TRV. The current processing time for TRV inland applications is 170 days. Otherwise, it is not possible to enter Canada without a valid visa despite that fact that you have a valid work permit.

Work or study permits are internal documents for those who are inside the country and have nothing to do with crossing the border.

Last edited: