+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Primary occupation date

vccvac

Mar 31, 2020
Hello everyone,

I was invited to apply in Feb and I found there was a required field of date as applicants first became qualified to practice this occupation. My primary occupation is 2175 Translator and Interpreter, and I got my bachelor's degree in Biological Engineering in 2014 and my master's degree in Translation and Interpreting in 2017. The thing is, I practiced translation as my first job in 2015 (during which time I didn't get my qualification as a translator). As the required field indicates, applicants should put in the date they first obtained their minimum education, which is 2017 when I was qualified to practice my primary occupation 2175. Did I make the right decision to put in 2017 or should I put in the date when I first practiced this occupation, even though I wasn't qualified?

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

vccvac

Mar 31, 2020
I don't think NOC 2175 is correct if you are a translator - it says web designers and developers? Would check that again.

In any case, refer to https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?top=29

See heading: "In an Express Entry profile, what do you mean by the “date the applicant first became qualified to practice this occupation.”?"

"If you are listing a skilled trade (jobs with a four-digit NOC code that begins with 632, 633, 72, 73, 82, 92) as your primary occupation:

This is the date when you first became qualified to practice on your own in that trade (for example, when you moved from apprentice to fully qualified tradesperson).

Note: If you are being assessed for the Federal Skilled Trades program, work experience in a trade will only count if you are qualified to practice in that region.

If you are listing any other primary occupation:

This is the date when you finished the minimum level of education needed for the occupation according to the National Occupational Classification code. (Note: if the NOC only states high school, this is the date you graduated from high school.
)"
Yeah my bad, it's actually 5125, it's been a while since I submitted my profile so the NOC code slipped my mind lol.