+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Primary occupation and education

MariaMaria

Oct 22, 2017
You can land for a short time (even just a few hours) in order to claim your PR and then head right back out of the country if you're not yet ready to move permanently. This is called 'soft-landing'.

However, your PR Card, which will serve as your travel document, won't be ready for at least 3 months, so you would need to arrange for someone in Canada to receive the PR Card for you and then do one of the following to ensure you can get back into Canada without any hassle* when you're ready to move permanently.
1) Arrange for the person in Canada who received your PR Card to somehow get it to you (the jury's still out on how 'legal' it is for someone to mail your PR Card to you - no one seems to agree on the matter - people have done it successfully, but then, that's not really a measure of legality)
2) Get back into Canada by crossing the US/Canadian border in a private vehicle, with your passport and COPR
3) Apply for a PR Travel Document in whatever country you go back to, to use as your travel document.

*Note that, it's not so much that CANADA won't let you back in without your PR Card, it's that commercial airlines and other modes of public transportation won't let you board without evidence that you are allowed into the country (i.e. your travel document).

There is a physical residency requirement you need to meet in order to maintain your PR though - right now, you are required to physically be in Canada for 730 days (2 years) out of your first 5 years of permanent residency.

Ohh! You're soo great! Thank you for your help! Just lask question for today, do you know if they do a background check and what's about?

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Ohh! You're soo great! Thank you for your help! Just lask question for today, do you know if they do a background check and what's about?
Yes, a background check is the final (and usually longest) stage of processing your application once you submit it (also known as the security assessment). I'm not completely sure what the background check entails (also, it's fairly certain that part of it involves ensuring you don't pose a security threat to Canada), but there are entire threads on this forum dedicated to the topic, so you should be able to find out more about them if you seek out the threads.

Reactions: MariaMaria

MariaMaria

Oct 22, 2017
Yes, a background check is the final (and usually longest) stage of processing your application once you submit it (also known as the security assessment). I'm not completely sure what the background check entails (also, it's fairly certain that part of it involves ensuring you don't pose a security threat to Canada), but there are entire threads on this forum dedicated to the topic, so you should be able to find out more about them if you seek out the threads.
Thank you very much! :)

MariaMaria

Oct 22, 2017
Hello @crescent_jam,
Hope you are great and already packing your luggage)))

May I ask you a question?
Do you need to show your bank statement at the customs when you landed?
Some people mentioned something like that in old threats (from 2010).

Thank you!

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hello @crescent_jam,
Hope you are great and already packing your luggage)))

May I ask you a question?
Do you need to show your bank statement at the customs when you landed?
Some people mentioned something like that in old threats (from 2010).

Thank you!
Haven't started packing yet, but I handed in my resignation at work, booked my plane ticket, and bought my new luggage set! :)

We are technically supposed to bring "proof of funds" with us when we land, but the likelihood of your Immigration Officer actually asking to see those proof of funds appears to be next to none, based on persons' reports of landing on this forum. Still, just in case, it's a good idea to bring it along with the rest of your documents. I don't think it needs to be as elaborate as the 'official letters from the financial institutions' that we have to get for our PR application though, so I'm just going to print off my online bank statements and bring those with me.

Hope you're doing well too! :)

Reactions: MariaMaria

MariaMaria

Oct 22, 2017
Haven't started packing yet, but I handed in my resignation at work, booked my plane ticket, and bought my new luggage set! :)

We are technically supposed to bring "proof of funds" with us when we land, but the likelihood of your Immigration Officer actually asking to see those proof of funds appears to be next to none, based on persons' reports of landing on this forum. Still, just in case, it's a good idea to bring it along with the rest of your documents. I don't think it needs to be as elaborate as the 'official letters from the financial institutions' that we have to get for our PR application though, so I'm just going to print off my online bank statements and bring those with me.

Hope you're doing well too! :)

Great! Thank you! I will ask you when you land if you are asked for this statement or not)))