+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Previous Sponsorship / Annulment include any details?

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Hi there.

Once again to start, thanks for all the help that everyone provides here. I know it's on your own time and in return, I will do my best to also share my experiences and research to help others as well.

My question is simple in that 10 years ago I sponsored my first wife and we landed though at that point I was a full expat and was working all over the world. It didn't work out and we were annulled in 2015. She was only in Canada for 1 month and then we returned to the Philippines. There was never any social assistance involved or anything like that. (I confirmed this.) She didn't even appropriate the actual PR card and from the following years she never returned to Canada.

My question is looking for an opinion on how to include that in my relationship narrative, should I passively mention it, talk a bit about it and the feeling for my current wife when I was awarded the annulment or should I reference and not touch on it too much since it's not all that important at least for me, today in 2021.

The reason I am asking is because I am well aware that they will definitely take a look at my history and see this and I am worried if I haven't include references (Yes, I will be including a photocopy of my annulment finality certificate and voided marriage certificate as required documentation) they might construe that as being vague or hiding something?

Thoughts ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there.

Once again to start, thanks for all the help that everyone provides here. I know it's on your own time and in return, I will do my best to also share my experiences and research to help others as well.

My question is simple in that 10 years ago I sponsored my first wife and we landed though at that point I was a full expat and was working all over the world. It didn't work out and we were annulled in 2015. She was only in Canada for 1 month and then we returned to the Philippines. There was never any social assistance involved or anything like that. (I confirmed this.) She didn't even appropriate the actual PR card and from the following years she never returned to Canada.

My question is looking for an opinion on how to include that in my relationship narrative, should I passively mention it, talk a bit about it and the feeling for my current wife when I was awarded the annulment or should I reference and not touch on it too much since it's not all that important at least for me, today in 2021.

The reason I am asking is because I am well aware that they will definitely take a look at my history and see this and I am worried if I haven't include references (Yes, I will be including a photocopy of my annulment finality certificate and voided marriage certificate as required documentation) they might construe that as being vague or hiding something?

Thoughts ?
She still has PR status via your sponsorship. Attach all you relevant documentation. Would add that you now require concrete proof that you will be resettling in Canada after your spouse gets PR in order to be approved.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Hi there. Thanks for the response.

I haven't followed up on it since we split up and since she no longer was my accountability. Wouldn't it expire and/or become redundant since she didn't meet the residence requirements? I am 100% sure that she has not visited or been to Canada since though based on mutual friends.

And to your point on the returning to Canada I am and have taken great lengths to prove the return to Canada with re-establishments of IDs, job networking searches, a move quotation from an international freight company and a secured residence upon arrival. There's more but I won't go into too much detail but I am confident they will believe me :)

My main thoughts/concern is whether I should include my ex/details in the narrative outside of just the supported, required documentation.

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You can certainly explain in brief, factually, but there's not much really to say beyond the factual - separated when and annulment received etc. Probably won't hurt to note that spouse never received social assistance etc and does not currently live in Canada.

No need to write your romance novel. Rely on the relationship evidence for your current relationship.