+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Previous PR application And work permit

dejablue

Nov 23, 2009
I plan to apply for work permit in a near future. Last December, I started my PR application and applied to CIO, which cleared my file for further processing at Buffalo office, but I never pursue the application further. Recently I received a message from the immigration that my file is being closed as I have not submitted my application within 120 days since CIO cleared my file. The message also states that they will refund $550 application fee that I paid to CIO.

Now my question is: How do I handle this in my work permit application? Specifically, I will need to answer two questions in my application for work permit: Have I ever applied for any type of visa before? AND Have I been refused any type of visa before. How do I answer these two questions? I am concerned that my PR application will show an intent to settle in Canada and hence could give visa officer reason to reject my work permit.

Thanks. waiting for your help...

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
dejablue said:
I plan to apply for work permit in a near future. Last December, I started my PR application and applied to CIO, which cleared my file for further processing at Buffalo office, but I never pursue the application further. Recently I received a message from the immigration that my file is being closed as I have not submitted my application within 120 days since CIO cleared my file. The message also states that they will refund $550 application fee that I paid to CIO.

Now my question is: How do I handle this in my work permit application? Specifically, I will need to answer two questions in my application for work permit: Have I ever applied for any type of visa before? AND Have I been refused any type of visa before. How do I answer these two questions? I am concerned that my PR application will show an intent to settle in Canada and hence could give visa officer reason to reject my work permit.

Thanks. waiting for your help...
Yes to the first Q and No in the second question, then give pertinent explanation (date and place where you applied). There have been cases of dual intent applications where one applies for permanent residency and then applies for either a student or visitor visa. You must be able to convince the officer that you'll leave Canada once your work is finish.