24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Hello,
does anyone came across the problem of filling #17 of the IMM 5540 - Sponsor Questionnaire - Give details of your previous spouse or partner.
The matter is that the divorce took place more than 12 years ago & the sponsor has no idea where his ex- can be located now. Also the date of birth is not so clear - not sure of the day of the month. Could you please advise a possible way out of this situation. Will there be a problem if these field of the form are left blank?
Thank you in advance

NISHAV

Apr 27, 2009
I was in a similar situation. My divorce is now more than 4 years. I just put the last known address that I had for my ex husband and add the date for what u believe is the birthdate. I couldn't remember for sure but I figured it is better to send it rather than leave it blank and have them flag your application. If you leave it blank they might think you are trying to hide something. They can't really contact your ex according to the immigration rep I talked to. And besides they are more interested in your current relationship.

Nisha

Lois Lane

May 14, 2008
(close to Toronto) Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 2007
I had no idea what my x's address was either, haven't had any contact for 17 years, so i just wrote what i knew and made a not to the things I didn't know

Nishav is right

you will be fine doing that

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
Thank you for all the answers. What is the current situation with your application?

NISHAV

Apr 27, 2009
I sent in my application on April 1st and they started processed on April 16th. On April 22nd they made the decision and sent the letter. I just got the approval letter saying my file has now been transferred to New Delhi. Now comes the hard part.

With a 2nd marriage, there is more of a chance of an interview coming up. My husband was never married before and I have a child. This seems to be a red flag for Immigration Officers in New Delhi. I am hoping that they will issue the passport without an interview. You never know what kind of mood the IO is in and this has me very nervous. I am just keeping my fingers crossed. Each day of waiting is like torture. I miss my husband so much. And anyone who has been alone awhile will tell u that u don't want to be separated when u find somebody good to be with.

Nisha

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
It looks like we are on the same boat. I do understand you very well & appreciate your feelings & share the concern.
Please do give me more information about why the second marriage can look like a red flag for the Immigration Officer. In my case - my husband has a third marriage & this is a second marriage of mine & at the same time I have two kids that are from my previous marriage.
Please do let me know about the information you might have to share - I start getting really concerned.
Our marriage is really genuine, as we truly love each other. But how ensure IO of our true intentions of creating our future together?
I do really appreciate your reply.

NISHAV

Apr 27, 2009
Well in your case it may be ok with a previous marriage since your spouse had also been married. In my case, the IO takes it like why would somebody who was never married choose someone with a kid? So they want to see the husband's intention.

Of course, they also look at other factors including age (wife should not be much older than the husband), cultural and religious differences as well. In my case, my husband is older by 3 years so I have that going for us and we have the same religious/cultural background as well. That is why I am hoping they won't call for an interview. I know it is stressful. We all are going through the same thing and this forum is great for support.

Nisha

J

jdwhite21

Is it a big deal to immigration officers if the spouse is a lot older? Will that make it more likely to have an interview? My husband has been previously married and has 3 other kids but that doesn't matter to me, will immigration look at that negatively?

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
If your husband is older than you I don't see that raising a red flag. Generally they are looking for your relationships genuinity.. So do your best to convice them of that. Lots of supporting evidence.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
I read on this forum that one of the proof of the genuine relationship is to have - joint bills, - joint bank accounts, - being beneficiaries in insurance, etc.
but I know that if a couple has just started their married life together how they can produce such a proof if there was no chance for him to get this done for her? What they are supposed to do now, if he plans to file the sponsorship for her first week after they got married?
thank you

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
Then you would supply them with emails, letters, gift receipts, phone bills, pictures, etc etc Understandably one week after marriage is difficult to have.. but perhaps while your application is in process you can supply them with these extras as several months will have passed.. just a suggestion.. does make your case stronger that your intent to conjoin things shows your dedication to each other etc. I know some couples don't join finances but it does look better I think in the eyes of the IO.