+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Previous experience?

TJL

Star Member
Jul 2, 2007
My application for PR was begun Nov 7th in Buffalo, NY. It was forwarded to Seattle, WA Jan 25th. Feb 7th was the 3-month anniversary of the application process (the 30% time-frame for cases being processed).
One reply estimated that 2 weeks COULD be the time when PR would be issued, WITHOUT AN INTERVIEW. I don't think my wife and I will need an interview, but who knows.
If we need an interview, would anyone speculate as to the time before we (I) get my PR?
THanks for the response!

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
2 weeks has been the timeframe after being transfered, but theres no written in stone only an observation. hopefully you will here something this week, pls post an update when PPR is received.

dallasgal8050

Star Member
Dec 5, 2007
Yes TJL.............PLEASE let us know, I'm VERY interested in knowing the time frame.
We will be sending the paperwork in probably
May, so I'm very interested in your time frame.

DG

dallasgal8050

Star Member
Dec 5, 2007
TJL
Did you fill out a form for a "Open Work Permit"? I saw that a person had a question about that and I never seen a form for an open work permit. If you did can you tell me where you got the form from?
I don't see it on the cic web site.

Thanks
DG

TJL

Star Member
Jul 2, 2007
Form 529OE 1 Appendix A
2. Open work permit
What is an open work permit and am I eligible to apply for one?
An open work permit allows you to accept employment and to work for any employer for the time period
specified on the work permit. It can only be granted once you have received first stage approval (approval
in principal) of your application for permanent residence. You should submit your application for an open
work permit together with your application for permanent residence. Write “open work permit” at the top
of your application.
If you send your open work permit application
with your permanent residence application and
Then...
you continue working for the employer mentioned on
your current work permit while the application is being
processed
you do not have to extend your work permit,
even if it expires during the processing of your
application for permanent residence.
you change employer after sending your applications you need to submit a new application for a work
permit along with a new confirmation by Service
Canada and pay the appropriate fees.

Hope this helps.

dallasgal8050

Star Member
Dec 5, 2007
TJ
I found the forms, but i'm a bit confused. I thought that once you receive your PR status that you automaticaly get a open work visa. Is this wrong? I'm going to fill out the forms and send them in along with my PR application and the additional $150.00. It also states on there that you need to financially support yourself, I have no problem with that, I work now in the States. I can also send in my bank statement but it will only be in american funds, also, do they look for a certin amount that you need to have saved in your account (I'm pretty much like everyone else and live paycheck to paycheck).

Please let me know.

DG

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dallasgal8050 said:
TJ
I found the forms, but i'm a bit confused. I thought that once you receive your PR status that you automaticaly get a open work visa. Is this wrong? I'm going to fill out the forms and send them in along with my PR application and the additional $150.00. It also states on there that you need to financially support yourself, I have no problem with that, I work now in the States. I can also send in my bank statement but it will only be in american funds, also, do they look for a certin amount that you need to have saved in your account (I'm pretty much like everyone else and live paycheck to paycheck).

Please let me know.

DG

1. Once you are "landed" as a PR you don't need a work permit.
2. Open work permits are only for those spouses being processed "In Canada" (yes I know spouses of workers and students)
3. The OP was applying through Buffalo, outside Canada applications can not apply for open work permits.

PMM

TJL

Star Member
Jul 2, 2007
Please remember that I'm in no way an expert in any of this! I do believe you're correct in that once you have your PR you're automatically able to work in Canada, upon presentation of your PR to your employer. I wouldn't send an application for work visa if I were you. My wife will be sponsoring me. I think that to sponsor yourself, you'd be applying for a skilled worker. Again, I'm not sure but from my reading I think that may be correct. (someone correct me if I'm wrong!!!) In Alberta, we don't need a minimum amount to be sponsored (to be sponsored by your wife). All provinces are not the same.
Hope this is helpful. I'm not a professional. I'm just giving my somewhat educated but limited, opinion.

dallasgal8050

Star Member
Dec 5, 2007
TJ
Thanks so much for you input, and I appreicat all your expierance in this.

Have you found out anything on your status?

DG

TJL

Star Member
Jul 2, 2007
Nothing as yet. Check the website 3-4 times/day. Expecting notice by mail. Every day we're closer! :)

dallasgal8050

Star Member
Dec 5, 2007
TJ
I'm sooooooooooo excited for you and your wife, I wish you both all the luck in the world. I'm glad your application experience has went rather smoothly. I'm hopeing mine will go as smooth as well.

DG