+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Preparing for soft landing

samhachem

Nov 5, 2021
We received our COPR with about 8 weeks validity; therefore, we have to do a soft landing by the end of November. We would much welcome the general input and feedback on the following points:
  • What is the recommended duration to stay in Canada to complete all the necessary paperwork? We will be landing in Calgary, Alberta.
  • What are the documents that we should have on-hand upon arrival?
  • Any general recommendations or considerations that we should be prepared for as well?
Thank you for the support.
Sam

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We received our COPR with about 8 weeks validity; therefore, we have to do a soft landing by the end of November. We would much welcome the general input and feedback on the following points:
  • What is the recommended duration to stay in Canada to complete all the necessary paperwork? We will be landing in Calgary, Alberta.
  • Any general recommendations or considerations that we should be prepared for as well?
Sam
Take it as a suggestion:

1) I think you should stay for at least 15 days because you need to prepare for a quarantine plan for two weeks in a dwelling which you can self isolation.
2) Your COPR, negative PCR test report, passport, vaccine passport / records; bring your smartphone, get ready for the arrivecan receipt and show it to customs officer.

samhachem

Nov 5, 2021
Take it as a suggestion:

1) I think you should stay for at least 15 days because you need to prepare for a quarantine plan for two weeks in a dwelling which you can self isolation.
2) Your COPR, negative PCR test report, passport, vaccine passport / records; bring your smartphone, get ready for the arrivecan receipt and show it to customs officer.
Thank you. Quarantine is a must for all travelers? or there are exemptions?

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
If you're fully vaccinated and the 2nd dose was administered more than 2 weeks ago then there is no quarantine anymore. You could literally land, complete the immigration process and leave Canada on the same day if you'd like.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you're fully vaccinated and the 2nd dose was administered more than 2 weeks ago then there is no quarantine anymore. You could literally land, complete the immigration process and leave Canada on the same day if you'd like.
Sam
Really up to you in terms of how long you want to remain in Canada. There are limited things you should and can do while you’re in Canada. Also depends on when you plan on permanently in Canada. You don’t qualify to apply for healthcare in Alberta (and many provinces) if you don’t plan on remaining in Canada. There are residency obligations associated with qualifying and retaining healthcare coverage in each province. There is variability in the requirements between provinces and you must meet the ROs to qualify for coverage even if you have a valid health card. If you have no plans to return to Canada soon after your short landing you don’t want to create too many ties to Canada so you remain a non-resident for tax purposes. Setting up banking, credit cards, etc. would create ties so wouldn’t recommend things like getting a credit card to start establishing credit in Canada. Would say that the one thing I would try to do, if possible, is try to get your SIN#. You can apply online if you can’t get it while you are in Canada.

yjus

Star Member
Jan 3, 2021
I have related question. I'm living in EU and planning to soft land in coming months. How many days should I plan to stay in Canada if I want to get PR card. If the waiting time for PR card is too long can they post the card to EU ?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have related question. I'm living in EU and planning to soft land in coming months. How many days should I plan to stay in Canada if I want to get PR card. If the waiting time for PR card is too long can they post the card to EU ?
Seven to Eight months. They only send the PR card to a Canadian address.

Reactions: yjus

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Seven to Eight months. They only send the PR card to a Canadian address.
Recuot of first card quite variable - many seem to get within 30-60 days - for many it's longer though.

But can't be relied on and must be posted to a Canadian address.

Reactions: yjus

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Sam
1. You can land, make a U-Turn and leave Canada instantly. It all depends on what you plan to do and how long you want to stay there after landing.
2. COPR, passport, proof of funds.
3. Some border officers (on land) are jerks. Don't let them bully you. If they do, know your rights, immediately ask for supervisor and report them.

P.S. The degree of jerkiness at POE will vary: if you are a female, then it's less likely that they will try to harass you. If you are a male but of visible minority, (don't forget, bullies are cowards, they know you belong to protected class) they will also be afraid to discriminate against you. But if you are a male and don't belong to visible minority, then you will have highest chance to be mistreated. They will assume they can treat you anyway they wish, and they expect you to be fearful and put up with it. Don't allow them to do that to you. Know your rights. have witnesses. Follow the protocol and letter of law. Gather evidence. Make formal complaint to their supervisor. Write to MP. Give them some hard time they deserve for doing this to innocent immigrants. NOTE: If you fly in and land in a major airport, like in Toronto, ON, you may not experience any of the above. The worst POE officers in Canada are usually stationed at US land border.

Reactions: gayanj40

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. You can land, make a U-Turn and leave Canada instantly. It all depends on what you plan to do and how long you want to stay there after landing.
2. COPR, passport, proof of funds.
3. Some border officers (on land) are jerks. Don't let them bully you. If they do, know your rights, immediately ask for supervisor and report them.

P.S. The degree of jerkiness at POE will vary: if you are a female, then it's less likely that they will try to harass you. If you are a male but of visible minority, (don't forget, bullies are cowards, they know you belong to protected class) they will also be afraid to discriminate against you. But if you are a male and don't belong to visible minority, then you will have highest chance to be mistreated. They will assume they can treat you anyway they wish, and they expect you to be fearful and put up with it. Don't allow them to do that to you. Know your rights. have witnesses. Follow the protocol and letter of law. Gather evidence. Make formal complaint to their supervisor. Write to MP. Give them some hard time they deserve for doing this to innocent immigrants. NOTE: If you fly in and land in a major airport, like in Toronto, ON, you may not experience any of the above. The worst POE officers in Canada are usually stationed at US land border.
Border agents are able to ask you hard questions, look through your items even electronics, etc. In most cases that is just doing their job. There is no need for a supervisor or reports. There id absolutely no proof that Caucasian males are the ones that get questioned the most at the border. What type of passport you carry may also influence who goes to secondary. Would add that border control agents in Canada are certainly not known for bullying, harassment, violence, taking bribes, etc. Been to other countries where border agents can do what they want without recourse. There a recent case where a newborn was found in the washroom of the airport in Qatar and they forced all the women travelling on at least one plane to do pelvic exams.

We all understand you’re not a fan of the RO in Canada but have no grounds to criticize or find fault in everything about Canada. Not sure why you are even on this forum if you have such disgust when it comes to Canada and clearly have no desire to return.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-54682565

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Border agents are able to ask you hard questions, look through your items even electronics, etc.
I didn't say they can't professionally ask questions or look through items. There is a line that separates legitimate border examination from bullying and harassment.

In most cases that is just doing their job.
Doing the job is not bullying. I don't have statistics on this but I know for a fact that they don't always do their job, as they supposed to. They do bully some travelers and violate the laws.
See https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbsa-misconduct-tunney-1.5560993
It would be highly misleading and false assertion, to suggest that Canada border agents never engage in unlawful activities.

There is no need for a supervisor or reports.
It depends on each individual case. If border agent is professional, report would be useless unless you wanted to report good behavior of the agent. But if he bullied you, the report would be absolutely critical in getting attention to unlawful behavior of the border agent vested with unchecked powers.

There id absolutely no proof that Caucasian males are the ones that get questioned the most at the border. What type of passport you carry may also influence who goes to secondary.
No one needs to prove that. What I said is that bullies are cowards, and as such they are less inclined to discriminate against protected groups (females and visible minorities), because they know likelihood of press exposure and other consequences are higher when they do this to protected groups. If you don't belong to protected group, there is higher chance the bully will target you. I think it's plausible assertion.

Would add that border control agents in Canada are certainly not known for bullying, harassment, violence, taking bribes, etc.
See my response above.

Been to other countries where border agents can do what they want without recourse. There a recent case where a newborn was found in the washroom of the airport in Qatar and they forced all the women travelling on at least one plane to do pelvic exams.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-54682565

It's absolutely irrelevant to subject matter what border guards in remote places such Qatar or Zimbabwe do at their POEs. I guess your next example will be Taliban, to show how great Canadian border agents are in comparison to Mullah Umar.

We all understand you’re not a fan of the RO in Canada but have no grounds to criticize or find fault in everything about Canada. Not sure why you are even on this forum if you have such disgust when it comes to Canada and clearly have no desire to return.
Allow me to decide for myself why I visit public forums and share my views, just as you do. I am not asking you why you are here arguing with me. It's absolutely ridiculous to suggest that I have no "grounds" to criticize whatever I want to criticize.

Furthermore, you make false assertion when you state that I "find fault in everything about Canada". Not that I can't do that if I want to, I absolutely can. And this forum is exclusively about Canada, so it's off topic to keep discussing customs in the other countries. But it's simply untrue to say what you are saying , in light of my posts where I wrote how much I liked Canadians, how I liked the safety and security of walking on the street at 2:00am, European feel of it, friendliness of people and etc. I also didn't single out Canada as sole culprit of what's going on at the border, and suggested that we live through dark times, where big tech censures free speech, people on internet are surveilled without a warrant 24/7, bureaucrats abuse their powers and harass legitimate travelers at the border and etc.

Last edited: