+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Preparing for landing - getting PR card

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
I'm looking to book AirBnB for the first 2-3 months in Canada but I'm a bit worried about getting my PR card.

As I understand, it will be sent to the address I will provide when I land (so AirBnB) but from what I see on the forum, it often takes longer than 2-3 months to get the card.

I read somewhere that envelopes with PR cards have 'do not redirect' on them so I guess I won't be able to set up redirection... I suppose my only option is hoping that the card either arrives while I'm still staying there or that the owner will let me know when it arrives. Or can I update the delivery address later on?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I'm looking to book AirBnB for the first 2-3 months in Canada but I'm a bit worried about getting my PR card.

As I understand, it will be sent to the address I will provide when I land (so AirBnB) but from what I see on the forum, it often takes longer than 2-3 months to get the card.

I read somewhere that envelopes with PR cards have 'do not redirect' on them so I guess I won't be able to set up redirection... I suppose my only option is hoping that the card either arrives while I'm still staying there or that the owner will let me know when it arrives. Or can I update the delivery address later on?
You can update the address later on by calling IRCC but you can't really count on IRCC actually sending the PR cards on updated address. Your best best is card arrives while you are there or the owner lets you know when they arrive.

Reactions: AndyUK

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
You can update the address later on by calling IRCC but you can't really count on IRCC actually sending the PR cards on updated address. Your best best is card arrives while you are there or the owner lets you know when they arrive.
Thanks. That's what I thought. I guess I will just have to hope for the best ;)

greatstrides

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
Not a direct response to your question but AirBnb is super expensive. When I went to Canada on my work visa, I posted a wanted ad on my intended city's Kijiji classifieds. Wrote a decent introduction and found a private studio even before landing into Canada. Some people do it for rooms too, maybe try that out that way before paying out a hefty sum for an AirBnb.

Reactions: leevick and AndyUK

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
Not a direct response to your question but AirBnb is super expensive. When I went to Canada on my work visa, I posted a wanted ad on my intended city's Kijiji classifieds. Wrote a decent introduction and found a private studio even before landing into Canada. Some people do it for rooms too, maybe try that out that way before paying out a hefty sum for an AirBnb.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking on Kijiji as the next step - longer-term stay. I'm coming with my wife and our two cats and the fact that we have cats is reducing our options massively.
But I'm still looking so maybe will end up booking something else... let's see how it goes. I definitely appreciate any advice and suggestion :)

Lixa

Star Member
Oct 10, 2020

Also starting to prepare my landing in early summer. I have an old acquaintance who is living on Vancouver Island. I think I'll ask him for his address.

Should my name appear on the mail box or is it OK to give his name and address?

Last edited:

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Also starting to prepare my landing in early summer. I have an old acquaintance who is living on Vancouver Island. I think I'll ask him for his address.

Should my name appear on the mail box or is it OK to give his name and address?
Its ok to give their address as they have a fixed one and you are still to get one. One of my friend did so.

Reactions: Lixa

nwo4lyf

May 29, 2019
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
25-02-2020
IELTS Request
11-05-2019
Passport Req..
18-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2022
LANDED..........
17-01-2023
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking on Kijiji as the next step - longer-term stay. I'm coming with my wife and our two cats and the fact that we have cats is reducing our options massively.
But I'm still looking so maybe will end up booking something else... let's see how it goes. I definitely appreciate any advice and suggestion :)
What city are you coming to? I recently landed too, I'm by myself with a cat, and haven't had much trouble finding listings that allow pets.

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
What city are you coming to? I recently landed too, I'm by myself with a cat, and haven't had much trouble finding listings that allow pets.
Vancouver. We booked our AirBnB this weekend and you're right - most places we contacted were fine with cats :) Although a couple of those that had 'pets accepted' in the ad, later said that they don't accept pets.

Reactions: nwo4lyf

nwo4lyf

May 29, 2019
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
25-02-2020
IELTS Request
11-05-2019
Passport Req..
18-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2022
LANDED..........
17-01-2023
Vancouver. We booked our AirBnB this weekend and you're right - most places we contacted were fine with cats :) Although a couple of those that had 'pets accepted' in the ad, later said that they don't accept pets.
I'm in Calgary, and yeah, I did notice a couple places say they allow pets but refused the application when I entered my cat's details. Really strange. But anyway, in Calgary at least, most places are ok with cats and small dogs. Larger dogs or multiple animals is where it gets murky.

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
I'm in Calgary, and yeah, I did notice a couple places say they allow pets but refused the application when I entered my cat's details. Really strange. But anyway, in Calgary at least, most places are ok with cats and small dogs. Larger dogs or multiple animals is where it gets murky.
That's it - it's the fact that we have two cats that may be sometimes an issue because some places allow one one pet (often it's the whole strata rather than an individual landlord's restriction).
But so far it was pretty smooth - out of 5 or so AirBnBs we've contact only one said no. Hopefully it will be similar when we will start looking for our long-term rental :)

Rach WLT

Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
Hi, I have heard that there are many scams as well on kijiji. Airbnb on the other hand could be a safer bet when renting without seeing the unit from overseas. I would like to know how you filter out scams when you rent on kijiji. Thanks in advance.

moubitang

Dec 1, 2022
H
That's it - it's the fact that we have two cats that may be sometimes an issue because some places allow one one pet (often it's the whole strata rather than an individual landlord's restriction).
But so far it was pretty smooth - out of 5 or so AirBnBs we've contact only one said no. Hopefully it will be similar when we will start looking for our long-term rental :)
Hi! How are you liking the airbnb? And are you still living there or did you find something more permanent? I am landing in September but scared to book a 3-6 months airbnb. Would you recommend it?