+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Preparing for arrival - Refugee Claim

JoOrg

Oct 23, 2018
Hi,

My friend from Mexico will be claiming Refugee protection in Canada since his life is at risk if he stays there. He only needs eTA to enter Canada and he will be staying at my home in Ontario while the process goings on.

He would like to apply once he is here in Canada instead of at the Port of entry because he doesn't want to wait anymore in Mexico while doing the application. He is bringing all the support documentation (medical, police, published news) and he plans to get the certified translations over here.

The questions are:

1. What would he expect at the port of entry?
2. Does he have to explain everything to the customs officer and tell him that he plans to visit the IRCC Office the next day and show him all the documents even if they are only in Spanish or what should he say in the customs interview when he lands?
3. Should I extend him a letter confirming that he will be staying in my address? Will I need to doo something else? (By the way, I don't if this is relevant but my status in Canada is PR and I have a stable job from over 5 years, own my house, pay my taxes.)
4. What should we (both) prepare to minimize the risk of a denied entry?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Jo.