+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pregnant skilled worker! need answer please

drew

Mar 19, 2010
Anyone,
please help..
I am a temporary skilled worker here in Canada. I have been here for a year and I have just applied for the Federal skilled workers program to have my permanent recidency. My employer guarranteed me arranged employment once i got my permanence residence. My current work permit will expire on March 2011. I am working as a Manager in a restaurant.I just found out that I am pregnant right now and i will probably give birth sometime in November last week or early december. My boyfriend and i are both temporary foreign workers.
my questions are:

1. Will it affect me negatively in terms of my current work status if i am pregnant right now and i am a temporary worker here in canada? Does my employer have a right to terminate my employment because of this? If they do terminate my employment can i stay here in Canada and give birth here in Canada? and wait until my application for permanent residence is approved? What visa should i hold. And what will be the citizenship of my baby?

2. Will I be covered of the maternity benefits here in canada even if i am a temporary worker? Like i will be able to use my MSP when i give birth?

Thank you very much!
I hope somebody will answer me...please help me..

roopa82

Star Member
Jan 11, 2010
termination on the basis of pregnancy is against the law......but if ur pregnancy is effecting your work....then he might find other ways....like he can decrease your hours of work....

u can get all maternity and parental benefits ...even if u r temporary foriegn worker.....but as u said u r going to have baby in dec....so ur parental benefits will be only until you have visa with u.....i have many friends who r foreign workers and who enjojed parental and maternal benfits

ur baby will be born as canadian citizen

u r talking about MSP....r u in BC...Preganncy is covered in all govt medical services plans.....there is not any problem if u r working or not in BC or alberta....but in ontario...if u stop working....u will no longer enjoy medical services......but if u will complete min 600 hours of work....and will become eligible for EI(maternity benefits).....you will enjoy medical benefits until end of your expiry date of your medical card

drew

Mar 19, 2010
thank you so much! i really appreciate your answers. I am in BC. by the way, one more question. since my child will be a canadian citizen and my visa expires on march 2011. will itbe easier for me to apply for permanent residence if i am a parent of a canadian citizen? do you know the process to go about it? thank you very very much!

roopa82

Star Member
Jan 11, 2010
ur child being a canadian citizen will not effect your application.....a canadian parent can apply for child...but reverse is not possible....

but ur application will not get delayed due to this....as u dont need to include your child in your file.....u dont need to pay his permenant residence fees and all that as he is already citizen.....u have to inform them about the birth of child....but ur application will not get delayed due to that...

one thing more....if u had submitted complete application to buffalo in feb...then u might get medical around october or earlier...then at that time...it is you who will decide to have x-ray done or not.....x-ray is generally avoided during pregnancy.....so if it is only 2 months at that time for your delivery...i will recommend u to postpone your medical for another 2 months....otherwise u can talk 2 ur doctor....

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
Drew,

I agree with roopa82 replies. I am in BC too with my wife who is a temporary worker. We have also applied for PR and we just had our second Canadian baby (1st was born Vancouver too in 2007). For the two deliveries at BC Women`s hospital, we`ve fully used our MSP...we did not pay even 1 dollar!!. We also got maternity and parental benefits for our first baby for 1 year. So do not worry.

About the EI benefits (Maternity and Parental benefits), if you are new in the Canadian workforce (i.e. if this is your first job in Canada), you may need a minimum of 910 insurable hours to qualify for the benefits, and of course you should have been making EI contributions. Otherwise, you will only need 630 hours (Note that the hours vary according to the employment rates in regions. The current rate for Vancouver is 7.9% which translates to 630 hours). For more info about EI and all requirements please visit http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/regular.shtml#Number
or
http://www.cba.org/BC/public_media/employment/282.aspx

However, note that everything will depend on your status. If you`ve not obtained your PR by the time your work permit expires, you will need to maintain temporary status in order to enjoy the different benefits. At a later stage, you also be able to apply for the Canada Child Tax Benefits, Universal Child Care Benefits. If you are still a temporary worker, you will need to have stayed in Canada for the 18 months to qualify, but if you have attained the PR, you can access these benefits right away.

When your child is born, you will be given a single form where you can apply for his/her Social Insurance Number, Birth certificate, MSP Card and the benefits (if you qualify at that time).

Essat

drew

Mar 19, 2010
thanks for the info... My work permit will expire on march 2011, during that time i will still be on maternity leave...what if my employer never renew my work permit, what can be the options for me to stay here in canada while waiting for my permnent residence application. and since my child will be a canadian citizen, can i apply for a status that acts as the legal guardian of my child so we can stay here both after my work permit expires? thanks ...

roopa82

Star Member
Jan 11, 2010
There is no way u can get PR on the basis of ur child.....may be it will go positive on your side...that while processing your application....they will not unnecessarily delay it...which buffalo is used to....

also u need 910 hours for regular benefits....but for maternity benefits....you need to complete only 600 hours