+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant needing extension for the father

probablyjake

Aug 14, 2013
I am Canadian but my boyfriend is American.
He came to visit me in March with intent to return to the US at which point we'd decide where we want to be.
He loved it here and stayed a long while to help me with some family matters.
At the end of May I found out I was pregnant. I'm due January 19th 2014 and obviously, I would like him here for support.
I'm against marriage, having failed at it once... So I understand that my boyfriend can apply for an extension on his visitation and he needs to do that pretty quickly.
I'm worried of denial due to his lack of employment in the US, lack of funds (he hasn't a large bank account and although I am a home owner, my stay at home job doesn't show for much), and no other ties to the US.
Now that I have become pregnant we both know that we want to raise this child here, in Canada. So ultimately he would be applying for PR. We certainly don't wish to break any laws, that was never our intention.

I just need help because I'm terrified at the thought of going through this without him...
Thank you!

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First of all, you don't have to be married to sponsor him. According to the CIC website, "You can sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner". However, you must have a job and able to financially support the person you are sponsoring.

As far as extending the visitor visa goes, I think financial stability still plays part. Since he doesn't have a job in the U.S, you will have to send in prove of your employment along with the application to extend the visitor visa.

What CIC is worried about is people coming to Canada and ending up on social assistance. And that is a legitimate concern for all Canadian taxpayers. My advice to you is that he should apply for work permit the same time he is applying for the extension. Good luck.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
O_guy said:
First of all, you don't have to be married to sponsor him. According to the CIC website, "You can sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner". However, you must have a job and able to financially support the person you are sponroring.
You can sponsor without having a job (lots of people have been approved on this forum without having a job). However you cannot be on welfare or bankrupt.

For this case conjugal won't work - marriage or common law are the only options. Conjugal only works in cases where there are barriers to marriage and common law. No such barriers exist here.

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
You can sponsor without having a job (lots of people have been approved on this forum without having a job). However you cannot be on welfare or bankrupt.
scylla, can you please give me the username of one person on these forums who was able to sponsor under the family class without having a source of income. I would like to talk to that person and find out how they got approved.

probablyjake

Aug 14, 2013
Well unfortunately I was a horse trainer, something I am no longer able to do being pregnant.
Like I said I am a home owner and I am financially stable (never been on assistance), largely because I have two apartments in my house that I rent out and they cover MORE than my mortgage. I do a few landscaping things and caring for children but very much undocumented.
So no employment... Not a giant bank account either but good credit and bills paid.
I have a wealthy Uncle, could he maybe sponsor him?
A letter of invitation maybe, stating that I am pregnant? For Common Law I think we have to have lived together for a year, he'd have to get an extension for that to happen?
A letter of financial support from his family down south, saying they're supporting him financially while in Canada?
Needless to say, the more I look into this, the more fearful I become. I'm thrilled to be pregnant but terrified to be pregnant alone.

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Get your family and friends to write sworn affidevits stating that you are financially stable.

Basically submit as many "documents" as possible. They can only help. I have dealt with visitor visa application as well as spouse sponsorship application and in both cases, CIC gives examples of documents you can send. The bottom line is, send as many documents as you can to support your application and place them in a logical order.