+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pregnant need quick reply

home77

Mar 7, 2011
hello everybody
my sister is pregnant,living in montreal with her husband she is expecting child in april ,they both have pr card but unfortunately they don t have medical card ,what i want to ask is that CAN she go in some other province where any hospital gives free health assisstance for pregnant women ,and can diliver baby free of cost ,is it possible.........
please give quick reply and which are those province which don t charge as she don t have medical card

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have they applied for healthcare yet, if yes, when?

Are they from Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal or Sweden?
Québec has signed social security agreements with these countries to facilitate mobility.
So they would not have to wait for up to three months for coverage under the Health Insurance Plan.

I understand that being pregnant is not a problem in Quebec.
They can make exceptions on the health care waiting time for pregnancy and childbirth.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The link is here: http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citoyens/assurancemaladie/arriver/ext_can.shtml

They need to apply for their Quebec health cards. They will get them in 3 months time but during that time, the sister will be able to get free care for her pregnancy and childbirth.

home77

Mar 7, 2011
THANK YOU PEOPLE .

WELL THEY HAD APPLIED AS THEY LANDED 15 ADAYS AGO,
NO SHE IS NOT FROM THESE COUNTRIES

BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT HER HISTORY
SHE HAD VISITED CANADA 6 YEARS AGO ALSO AS PR AND GAVE BIRTH TO A CHILD AND GOT FREE SERVICE OF HEALTH WITHIN 5 DAYS OF HER LANDING AND GOT A LETTER FOR FREE HEALTH ,AS SHE WAS PREGNANAT AT THAT TIME ALSO,

BUT THIS TIME THEY HAD NOT ISSUED LETTER YET AS THEY SAYING THAT YOUR FIRST CHILD DIDN T WENT SCHOOL OF QUEBEC WHY...

WHAT U PEOPLE SUGGEST NOW ....SHOULD SHE GO TO ANOTHER PROVINCE AS QUEBEC IS DENYING

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How did she visit 6 years ago as a PR and she is now visiting again as a PR after not having lived in Canada in the meantime? Would she not have lost her PR in the meantime?

She can try some other province depending on how long she has been in Quebec now. Most other provinces give 1st day coverage if you are moving from another country but if she has been too long in Quebec this time, they could treat it as a move from Quebec instead and then she would have a waiting period. She should phone some of the other provinces health care and ask but do not bother with Ontario and BC because they have waiting times.

However, if the case is as Quebec seems to see it that she came 6 years ago to have a baby on Quebec free healthcare and then left again, never lived in QC and never paid taxes in QC and now she is back to do it again, I mean, I understand why they would not be happy about that.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sounds like medical tourism to me.

The PR is either fake or the story is wrong.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Of course it is possible that she fulfilled the residency requirements by staying a couple of years after the first child was born but left again before it reached school age which would explain why it never went to school in Quebec or possibly she went to another province after the child was born, like ON and stayed there in order to fulfil the requirements before leaving again.

It isn't necessarily medical tourism in the way that it is quite possible that she has insurance already in her country but she may want the children born in Canada go give them Canadian citizenship. As we know, it is not very easy for PR's to sponsor their foreign born children for PR, at least if they are not visa exempt.

home77

Mar 7, 2011
Thanks you all

she stayed for 10 months after giving birth to her first child and then left as they had business in their home country. after that they visited thrice and spend some months there in the meantime their PR was expired and they renewed it also.
And Yes obviously they want to give birth to their child in canada in order to get child citizenship ,even though they are not until able to get their citizenship as they couldn t stay in canada longer as they have business in their home country .

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she is not moving to Canada, only coming to visit for a couple of months, she doesn't really qualify to get healthcare in any province. As far as I know, all provinces state that you must live in the province for at least 6 months a year to get their health care.

CRAZY25

Feb 19, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leon i need your reply i am 2months pregnant meds done last march.i am worried what if our pr did not came out before i give birth what will happen to our application?do we have to advice cic buffalo that i am pregnant and my due is on december?your answer will helps me alot thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CRAZY25 said:
leon i need your reply i am 2months pregnant meds done last march.i am worried what if our pr did not came out before i give birth what will happen to our application?do we have to advice cic buffalo that i am pregnant and my due is on december?your answer will helps me alot thanks!
If you don't think your PR visa will come in time for you to fly to Canada while you are still allowed to fly while pregnant, you need to tell the visa office. For example, if you get a passport request and you are already 7 months pregnant at the time, you should not send your passport but notify them that you can not fly and will need to wait until the baby is born so you can add the baby to the application. Because of immigration rules, you must either land before the baby is born or in case you can not, you must add the baby to your application before you land.

If you want to prepare, ask the airline how late in the pregnancy they will allow you to fly. Then advise the visa office that you are pregnant and you can not fly after that date so they will know, if you can not get your visa before that date, that you must wait until after the baby is born.

CRAZY25

Feb 19, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leon......incase that i give birth in my country and add my new born to our application does it mean that we go to the whole processing procedure?as in were back to zero?the whole family will pay again processing fee?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CRAZY25 said:
leon......incase that i give birth in my country and add my new born to our application does it mean that we go to the whole processing procedure?as in were back to zero?the whole family will pay again processing fee?
No, you do not start from zero. You only change the documents that change because of the baby being included. The baby needs a medical as well and you need to pay the fee for the baby.

Jul 21, 2011
Baloo said:
Have they applied for healthcare yet, if yes, when?

Are they from Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal or Sweden?
Québec has signed social security agreements with these countries to facilitate mobility.
So they would not have to wait for up to three months for coverage under the Health Insurance Plan.

I understand that being pregnant is not a problem in Quebec.
They can make exceptions on the health care waiting time for pregnancy and childbirth.
I second