+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant in Montreal, waiting for PR, no health insurance

michelefied

Feb 23, 2021
Hello,

I've been in Montreal with my husband for more than a year now. I sent in my Open work permit and PR application last year but still have received no word. I'm pregnant and I'm finding no one to follow my pregnancy, people have been dismissive and worse, I have been made to feel like an idiot. I find it very difficult to grasp that while my baby is both my husband's (who is a Canadian born citizen, has a health card and pays his taxes) and mine, only my status matters. The baby is considered part of my body, and has nothing to do with my husband. That's incredibly patriarchal; and while I've paid thousands of dollars in immigration application fees, the immigration office won't even answer my emails. Does anyone have any advise on doctors or on who to contact to complain.

Many thanks

Kostas

Jan 22, 2020
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
24-07-2020
AOR Received.
18-08-2021
Med's Request
22-09-2021
Med's Done....
25-09-2021
We were in a similar situation, when we first came and we didn't have ramq coverage. We found a doctor in Clinic Ella in Cote des neiges. He has retired now. But he accepted us, we were paying him as private doctor and just before my wife give birth we had our ramq so he refunded us 100%. Maybe you can try there. All the best

Hassananwar1

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
We were in a similar situation, when we first came and we didn't have ramq coverage. We found a doctor in Clinic Ella in Cote des neiges. He has retired now. But he accepted us, we were paying him as private doctor and just before my wife give birth we had our ramq so he refunded us 100%. Maybe you can try there. All the best
We were in the same situation before, but my wife had private insurance from Allianz that covers the pregnancy cost up to 10,000$. Unfortunately, you are pregnant now, you have to get this insurance before planning the pregnancy. There are only two ways now:

1. You need to pay, it cost a total of around 14,000 to 16000 CAD, the cost is less if you do a normal delivery probably less than 10K. Try Lasalle hospital. There is a clinic: http://www.gynecolasalle.com/en/home.html - this is the most economical one.
2. Go back to your home country have peaceful delivery and come back when will you get PR

adomanim

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
I'm going to sponsor my common law partner under the family class so we can both relocate to Canada in the next 6 months.

What happens if she gets pregnant once we move to Canada and the PR application is still pending?

Speed Test

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm going to sponsor my common law partner under the family class so we can both relocate to Canada in the next 6 months.

What happens if she gets pregnant once we move to Canada and the PR application is still pending?
You may need to pay for the costs of the delivery and all other care out of pocket.

You can look into private insurance that covers costs related to pregnancy. This has to be purchased before the person being covered is pregnant and typically has quite a number of exclusions. So you may still be on the hook for quite a bit of money.

Best option would be to try to time the delivery after your common law partner has PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Speed Test
Would suggest you wait until your spouse has actually qualified for healthcare before trying to get pregnant or be prepared to pay 15k+ or more for a pregnancy. If there are any complications cost can go up extremely fast. Would add that if your spouse has not worked for 600 hours in the year before birth she won't qualify for maternity payments either. It is also much more difficult to find employment if you are visibly pregnant or very sick due to pregnancy. You can't discriminate due to pregnancy but in reality employers want to invest in longterm employees and will select a candidate who is going to be around for years after training versus months. When in a new country there are so many adjustments so adding a pregnancy just adds more difficulties.

jadelgado

Feb 21, 2022
We were in the same situation before, but my wife had private insurance from Allianz that covers the pregnancy cost up to 10,000$. Unfortunately, you are pregnant now, you have to get this insurance before planning the pregnancy. There are only two ways now:

1. You need to pay, it cost a total of around 14,000 to 16000 CAD, the cost is less if you do a normal delivery probably less than 10K. Try Lasalle hospital. There is a clinic: http://www.gynecolasalle.com/en/home.html - this is the most economical one.
2. Go back to your home country have peaceful delivery and come back when will you get PR
Hello Hassan, my wife is in the same situation and she indeed hace the allianz insurance. She is in her first pregnancy month but I find quite difficult to obtain information about it so a little guidelines from your experience would help us a lot.

Where did you make an appointment or found a doctor? How much in total did you spent? Did the insurance refund you all?

Kind regards,

Jose Delgado

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Hassan, my wife is in the same situation and she indeed hace the allianz insurance. She is in her first pregnancy month but I find quite difficult to obtain information about it so a little guidelines from your experience would help us a lot.

Where did you make an appointment or found a doctor? How much in total did you spent? Did the insurance refund you all?

Kind regards,

Jose Delgado
Was she pregnant before getting the insurance?

jadelgado

Feb 21, 2022
Was she pregnant before getting the insurance?
Nope, we arrived in August last year and that's when we activated her Allianz insurance. We got pregnant last month so I think that we are ok with the insurance cover. My doubts are related to:
Where can we have medical check-ups during pregnancy?
Where can we give birth?
What are the costs?

Thanks!

Jose