18-APR-2011
Passport Req..
10-JAN-2011
VISA ISSUED...
18-APR-2011
LANDED..........
3-MAY-2011(HAPPY HAPPY ENDING)
hi i am 6 month pregnant woman.

i just came back from the country of my husband. i am planning to aply for PR for my husband.

and now i am hired.
I am on a training and it is big canadian company. with tight restrictions.
and trainer told us (30 people on a training) many many stories about fired people.
(and i feel like they just cut people for small mistakes)

i got really nervous because first i havent told them of my pregnancy.
second i want to ask them for the job certificate to send to an immigration office.

my mind is not comfortable ,
because maybe company think that i just going to quite after i got letter.
maybe they think i just want to work for immigration since anyway i can not work for more than three months. i definitely have to take pregnant vacation after three months. and they dont want sush person in a company so for me they have a reason to fire me.

and i did looked jobs for many many places already and only answer i got was the company now i am on a training. and i really dont want to lose my job now.

i know if they told me that i am fired nothing i can do ,just but i need people's opinions......

thank you

arron

Star Member
Oct 27, 2010
Generally, you cannot be fired or demoted at your job because you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or plan to become pregnant. Even if you have not worked at your job for 52 weeks, you can still not be fired for being pregnant and your employer is still required to accommodate your needs while pregnant. You should also have full access to your earned benefits like vacation, sick leave, seniority, or overtime. Finally, your employer cannot tell you when to begin your maternity leave. As long as your health permits, you are permitted to work until your baby is born unless your employer cannot accommodate your needs. Pregnancy is a valid health reason to be away from work (for prenatal appointments or tests for example) but is not considered an "illness" or a "disability".

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Employer can't fire you because you are pregnant....this ain't Middle East

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aaron is correct - if you are already hired they cannot fire you because you are pregnant. Whether you're eligible for EI during your maternity leave will depend on how many weeks you've worked prior to taking the leave. As Aaron mention, you can work up until your due date, which is very common, as women who are eligible for maternity EI benefits commonly want to save as much time as possible once the baby has arrived vs prior to the birth. You need to speak to the EI office and enquire as to your benefits and what you are eligible for.