+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pregnancy

tridmax

Sep 30, 2009
Hi all,
My family (wife, son and my self) landed (Toronto) and completed our landing formalities in December 2009. We got our PR cards, SINs, and Health Cards. Currently I am working in USA on H1B and my visa is expiring in January 2011 without applying any green card process and we are permanently moving in to Canada in Dec or January 2011 time frame.
My question is now my wife is 2 months pregnant and we want have a baby in Canada. For that any formalities are there like file open in hospitals (We do have health cards already) and how about insurance system? and how many days before we need to open a file for Doctor checkups.
Would you please give me an idea what are the formalities we need to do, before having a baby in Canada.
Many thanks for helping me out Leon and other folks inputs/ideas.

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
If I'm understanding your pose, you landed, then went to work in the US.

I believe that you would have the 3 month wait before OHIP would take affect again.

From the OHIP Website.
Eligibility

Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP). To be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must :

* be a Canadian citizen or have immigration status as set out in Ontario's Health Insurance Act, and
* make your permanent and principal home in Ontario, and
* be physically present in Ontario 153 days in any 12-month period.

OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. The ministry strongly encourages new and returning residents to purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the OHIP waiting period.

and the FAQ indicating if you leave

Am I still eligible for OHIP if I temporarily leave Ontario?

You may be out of the province for up to 212 days in any 12-month period and still maintain your Ontario health insurance coverage provided that you continue to make Ontario your primary place of residence.

To maintain eligibility for OHIP coverage you must be an eligible resident of Ontario. This means that you must :

* have an OHIP-eligible citizenship/immigration status; and
* be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
* be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
* make your primary place of residence in Ontario.

If you will be out of the province for more than 212 days in any 12-month period, please refer to the Longer Absences from Ontario fact sheet.

simesmeak

Nov 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most women will see their provider for the first time between weeks 8 and 10 when they first detect symptoms of early pregnancy. Your doctor should discuss with you some important aspects of your health or medical and sexual history of the family that may affect your pregnancy. In many cases, your health care provider perform an ultrasound to confirm the viability of your pregnancy, and during that time you will be allowed to greet your baby for the first time!