+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PREGNANCY WITHOUT OHIP-MOVE FROM ALBERTA TO ONTARIO

nargesy

Nov 1, 2016
Hi
I have a question and will be thankful if anybody advise me.
I landed in Canada last year and got my health card from alberta and after one week left calgery and came to my home country for one year because of a family emergency(I have PR.)
Now I decide to go to toronto in 3rd or 4th month of my pregnancy .I know that my alberta health card is not valid now because I left there after just 1 week and do not inform them that I decide to leave there for long time because I did not know that is necessary.
SO I decide to inform them when i arrive to toronto and apply for ohip ,if i cancel alberta card they do not cover me during the first 3 month in toronto?is there any private insurance to accept cover me in the 4th month of my pregnancy?
Is it possible to only cancel the alberta card and tell them that i cancel it because i want to move to toronto?(i mean ,i do not tell them that i was not there for long time and only cancel the card so they may cover me during first 3 months in toronto)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No matter what you do, you won't be covered by OHIP for the first three months. You will have to pay for all health care expenses on your own during this period.

You may be able to purchase private insurance that covers emergencies. However it won't cover any regular costs related to your pregnancy or birth.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
nargesy said:
Is it possible to only cancel the alberta card and tell them that i cancel it because i want to move to toronto?(i mean ,i do not tell them that i was not there for long time and only cancel the card so they may cover me during first 3 months in toronto)
Do you mean you're asking if it's ok to commit healthcare fraud?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Rob_TO said:
Do you mean you're asking if it's ok to commit healthcare fraud?
If that's what you're asking - then you're on the wrong forum.

The short answer is that health care fraud is a crime. It will result in you having to pay back the costs of the health care services you received + fines. You can also expect it to be more difficult to get provincial health care coverage in the future since you'll be flagged in the system.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It's also a criminal offence in Canada, punishable up to 10 years in prison for fraud over $5,000....that would be bad thing for a PR renewal or citizenship in the future.

nargesy

Nov 1, 2016
thank you all for your kind advice.
definitely i dont want to commit a fraud :eek: ,i am here to ask for the best solution for my complicated situation.
so would u plz introduce any private insurance company which covers my situation during 3 months of arrival in Toronto ?
I will inform Alberta health insurance about long time absence and ask them to cover me again after landing again in Alberta ,because if i wont find any private company in Toronto to cover me i have to go to Alberta again which is difficult for me ,because my husband has found a job in Toronto :( .do u think they accept to cover me from first day again?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
nargesy said:
thank you all for your kind advice.
definitely i dont want to commit a fraud :eek: ,i am here to ask for the best solution for my complicated situation.
so would u plz introduce any private insurance company which covers my situation during 3 months of arrival in Toronto ?
I will inform Alberta health insurance about long time absence and ask them to cover me again after landing again in Alberta ,because if i wont find any private company in Toronto to cover me i have to go to Alberta again which is difficult for me ,because my husband has found a job in Toronto :( .do u think they accept to cover me from first day again?
You would be granted coverage from day 1 in Alberta. However, you cannot come to Alberta to give birth and then move to Ontario soon after. Alberta can and will come after you to repay the full costs if they believe you used their health system just to give birth and had no intention of actually residing there.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to handle this by committing insurance fraud, you would go back to Alberta, tell them that you were gone and that you are back to stay, sign the forms stating that you are residing in AB at least 183 days per each 12 months, get your health card and then go to Toronto and use the AB health card to get services there. However, be advised that this can cause AB health to back charge you for services you used that they had to pay for as well as they could actually press charges against you for fraud which can result in a conviction and a fine.

If you want to get coverage in AB legally and use it for your pregnancy expenses, you could go back to AB, tell them that you were gone and that you are back to stay and then stay put in AB for at least 183 days (6 months). After that, you are free to move to Ontario and AB health will cover you there for the first 3 months. However, be aware if your husband is working in Toronto that you will have the cost of keeping 2 households and you will be separated from your husband for 6 months and he might miss the birth of the baby because it's pretty far for him to go from Toronto to AB to be there.

Personally I think it would be better for you to join your husband in Toronto and either get insurance privately during the waiting period that will cover your expenses or simply be ready to pay your expenses out of pocket. There are private insurances available that will cover pregnancy related problems although they don't cover childbirth itself. There is a user here who is an insurance broker. You can find him here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/private-health-insurance-ontario-t380950.0.html and his website here: https://arbetovinsurance.com/visitorstocanada/ Ask about the insurance that covers pregnancy related expenses.

nargesy

Nov 1, 2016
Dear Leon , thanks for your complete answer and kindful help,from your options , i have decided to follow the second option that does not consist any kind of fraud,i mean to go to Alberta again and inform them i had not been there for more 6 month and now i want to stay for more than 6 month but i am wonderig if they could fine me to inform them with delay or charge me for any kind of heath insurance membership expences ,please consider that during our stay in canada we did not use any kind medical service .

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nargesy said:
Dear Leon , thanks for your complete answer and kindful help,from your options , i have decided to follow the second option that does not consist any kind of fraud,i mean to go to Alberta again and inform them i had not been there for more 6 month and now i want to stay for more than 6 month but i am wonderig if they could fine me to inform them with delay or charge me for any kind of heath insurance membership expences ,please consider that during our stay in canada we did not use any kind medical service .
Since you did not use health care on your first trip, you shouldn't have any problems.