+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy on Open Work Permit. OWP.

Krystajo

Aug 18, 2017
I just found out that I am pregnant.
I also just recieved my Open Work Permit (permanent residence is still in progress- should get approved/processed next summer) and I am on MSP health coverage and live in BC- so I think I am good to go when it comes to health coverage.

However, I am wondering if anyone knows if your work permit can be revoked if you are pregnant while you have an OWP- (I just recieved it and im planning to work for another 6-7 months still).
Any advice is helpful.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I also just recieved my Open Work Permit (permanent residence is still in progress- should get approved/processed next summer) and I am on MSP health coverage and live in BC- so I think I am good to go when it comes to health coverage.

However, I am wondering if anyone knows if your work permit can be revoked if you are pregnant while you have an OWP- (I just recieved it and im planning to work for another 6-7 months still).
Any advice is helpful.
No - it certainly won't be revoked.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you know if I will be able to take maternity leave then? Is there a general rule for how long you have to work before you can recieve it?
Yes, there are rules around maternity leave (i.e. number of insurable hours you need to work in order to qualify for maternity leave payments, etc.). Suggest you google maternity leave rules for the province where you are living.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Do you know if I will be able to take maternity leave then? Is there a general rule for how long you have to work before you can recieve it?
Depends how many hours you’ve worked whether or not you’ll qualify for maternity/parental leave with ESDC. Suggest you search online for that information since you’ll be applying online for it on that same website that has the information
It’s insurable hours based

canadian_student

Star Member
Jun 10, 2011
Canada

Any advice is helpful.

Won't affect your immigration status. Baby would be Canadian and it got nothing to do with your immigration file. You would be covered under provincial health care ( in Alberta we do, for sure ). visit following link for maternity benefit info.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-maternity-parental.html

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
We recently found out that my wife is pregnant. She's due on October 2024.

She has been working full time for year and a half now (Ontario). She's eligible for maternity benefits.

Her work permit is expiring in March 2025. Last December I got invited through OINP Job Offer: Foreign Worker stream. Being optimistic, I hope to get nomination, apply for PR, get AOR, and apply for BOWP by the end of this year.

She's planning to submit her maternity benefits somewhere around August of this year. Will she get the full year of maternity benefit even when her work permit is expiring in March of next year? Or would she have to submit maternity leave for the time her work permit is valid and then submit the other remaining time when we get a new permit (BOWP)?

I would appreciate some guidance on this.