+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy , no OHIP coverage, best option.

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
Not sure why such a fuss here. I can share my experience.
My wife and I came to land in Toronto and wanted to come back after our baby is born. Only after going back, we got to know if baby is born out of Canada - it will take longer time to apply for visa and other hassles. So within a month we came back to Toronto.

No OHIP, no insurance, no family, no friends, no guidance. We always wanted midwife so we contacted one of the midwives and found that midwivery services are "free" (or as someone said above - tax payers pay). Note - only their consultations are "free" - all tests/ultrasounds are charged to the patients.

We however had to pay for hospital stay and tests ($2,000 for 2 days - delivery, stay and tests).
Glad to hear that Guiders.

Now regarding to others ;

This forum and people here, when sharing experiences and giving advise, need to understand that there are options out there for people and others have knowledge too. And they should not use their power at any kind to confuse people.
That was my advice since my first reply to this forum.

Guiders is the excellent example to what i was trying to say since the beginning.

I respect your effort advisors for the help you share, however you should be careful when using your knowledge, power and reputation, because my knowledge and Guiders experience is the opposite to what your advising.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guiders

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

This forum and people here, when sharing experiences and giving advise, need to understand that there are options out there for people and others have knowledge too. And they should not use their power at any kind to confuse people.

Guiders is the excellent example to what i was trying to say since the beginning.

I respect your effort advisors for the help you share, however you should be careful when using your knowledge, power and reputation, because my knowledge and Guiders experience is the opposite to what your advising.
Given that I have have a friend who is a midwife in Toronto and many friends who have been rejected by Toronto midwives because their practices were full other PRs, students, work permit holders will also be rejected because of a full practice. Also upsets me when people use health services when they aren’t paying into the tax base especially because a tax payer likely wanted the spot but gave up when they were rejected in their 1st trimester due practices being full. People looking back at these posts need to know that this couple got lucky but they may have a 10k bill.

Eso

Dec 29, 2018
Good morning all,

Got my golden email yesterday and I am excited. Please I really need advice. We sent our passports out yesterday and we are expecting it between end of December and second week of January because of the holidays and I have to give a month's notice at the office for resignation. The problem now is, we plan to land in Ontario in the first week of February, but my wife is pregnant and due for delivery in April. I was told Ontario health card takes effect after 3 months.

Please how do I manage this when the baby arrives with OHIP?

Please help!!!!!!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Good morning all,

Got my golden email yesterday and I am excited. Please I really need advice. We sent our passports out yesterday and we are expecting it between end of December and second week of January because of the holidays and I have to give a month's notice at the office for resignation. The problem now is, we plan to land in Ontario in the first week of February, but my wife is pregnant and due for delivery in April. I was told Ontario health card takes effect after 3 months.

Please help!!!!!!
Either you land earlier to get the three months , or you delay landing and sponsor child with one of you here in Canada , or you land as planned and be prepared to pay
It’s your choice

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also mention that a due date is an approximation. Many babies arrive early so you should build in at least one month of extra time.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Either you land earlier to get the three months , or you delay landing and sponsor child with one of you here in Canada , or you land as planned and be prepared to pay
It’s your choice
Good morning all,

Please help!!!!!!
Alberta insurance starts immediately, but you need to live there for at least year or otherwise they will ask you to repay.

mrz10

Feb 23, 2020
My wife and I came to land in Toronto and wanted to come back after our baby is born. Only after going back, we got to know if baby is born out of Canada - it will take longer time to apply for visa and other hassles. So within a month we came back to Toronto.

No OHIP, no insurance, no family, no friends, no guidance. We always wanted midwife so we contacted one of the midwives and found that midwivery services are "free" (or as someone said above - tax payers pay). Note - only their consultations are "free" - all tests/ultrasounds are charged to the patients.

We however had to pay for hospital stay and tests ($2,000 for 2 days - delivery, stay and tests).
Hi,

Where in Ontario were you situated? Which midwife center?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Where in Ontario were you situated? Which midwife center?
Most midwifery services are usually booked early sofinding a midwife at a late stage in a pregnancy may not be possible. If have had many friends turned down by midwifery practices in the GTA even when they try to register early in their pregnancy. There is more demand than midwives. These women also had OHIP.

Last edited:

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
Hi there,
Are there any sorts of signing in advance an agreement with the doctor or hospital in order to get guaranteed services during pregnancy and for child-birth?
Location Ontario, no OHIP, applied for family sponsorship outland in October'19, but arrived in Ontario in May and still waiting for Warsaw to make a decision, which is on a pause because of the pandemic =(
Midwife is not an option due to personal reasons

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,
Are there any sorts of signing in advance an agreement with the doctor or hospital in order to get guaranteed services during pregnancy and for child-birth?
Location Ontario, no OHIP, applied for family sponsorship outland in October'19, but arrived in Ontario in May and still waiting for Warsaw to make a decision, which is on a pause because of the pandemic =(
Most hospitals require a deposit. Yes you will need to make arrangements with the hospital in advance. Once you have found a doctor that doctor will have privileges at a certain hospital. You can then make arrangements with the hospital to put down a deposit and make arrangements about payment after your delivery.

Reactions: m.ford

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi there,
Just be aware they’ll want payment . When I had an emergency appendectomy couple years ago , for some reason my OHIP card had a issue after I was laying in recovery. Someone from accounts payable came to me ,gently nudged me to ask to see my OHIP card . Probably because it was the old white red one I received 30 plus years ago . Asked to see photo ID, I signed a paper confirming I was who I said I was with photo ID, and if there was a issue I was on the hook for payment. I had no worries because I’ve been in the province for years. But money rules

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In general hospitals want to arrangement a significant deposit in advance so they know they will get paid and some hospitals have stopped allowing birth of a FN if possible. Some of the doctors want a certain level of prepayment because some have not been paid after the birth. unfortunately birth tourism has become a much bigger problem in the past few years (I realize this isn’t birth tourism). Hopefully the government will finally do something about it. It creates resource issues at a few hospitals and the biggest issue is the NICU. Limited spaces so Canadians may end up being sent to the US and the province will have to pay a huge bill and FN rarely pay their NICU bills since they tend to be extremely expensive.

Xiena

Oct 16, 2018

Hi, Me and my 1 month pregnant partner have been temporary workers here in Alberta for 2 years with expired work permit, our Alberta Health Insurance coverage expired as well which gives me anxiety. We’re still working full time and pay income tax. Unless we have new canada entry documents we would not get new AHCIP coverage. We submitted our work permit extension along with the PR application just over a year ago but still no decision from IRCC. Pls help, Thanks.

Last edited:

Xiena

Oct 16, 2018

Hi, my partner is 1 month pregnant. We are temporary workers here in Alberta for 2 years, we have no Alberta health insurance coverage because our work permit expired. We submitted our PR and work permit extension a year ago but still no decision from IRCC. Im worried because the cost could be too high.