+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy , no OHIP coverage, best option.

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
For all pregnancy cases, and no OHIP coverage yet.

If you are applying for any status with CIC and you are pregnant, contact the Community health center based on your postal code, arrange an appointment and bring proof of address and proof of your status application that is in process.

That would bring you to either free services or very low rates for the time being. So you will have some relief.

If your delivery is before OHIP kicks inn, you will have to make pre arrengmants and pre payments with the hospital in advance for the delivery and you will pay half price. At list you're saving too.

Don't panick, it is not worth it compare to your health and your baby's health.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you please stop replying to posts from months ago. You may be speaking about your experience but the availability of free or subsidized healthcare of hospital fees varies between institutions and municipalities. Not all hospitals will give you half off for paying in advance. Have never heard of this 1/2 off policy. Areas where there may be a large percentage pf new immigrants may have access to certain subsidized services. Given the new government I would anticipate that many of these subsidized services will disappear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Copingwithlife

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
For all pregnancy cases, and no OHIP coverage yet.

If you are applying for any status with CIC and you are pregnant, contact the Community health center based on your postal code, arrange an appointment and bring proof of address and proof of your status application that is in process.

That would bring you to either free services or very low rates for the time being. So you will have some relief.

If your delivery is before OHIP kicks inn, you will have to make pre arrengmants and pre payments with the hospital in advance for the delivery and you will pay half price. At list you're saving too.

Don't panick, it is not worth it compare to your health and your baby's health.
Nothing is ever free, it’s paid by the taxpayers, so please stop referring it as “ free”. On my tax return there a little line that says how much I have to pay to the Ontario Government for Health Services . It goes into a big pot and pays for services

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
I'm helping people.
I know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm knowledgeable and authorized to share that information.
Ontario government does that every day .
If you have a problem, it is not our problem.
You can request aban, but not the truth.
We will still share that information.
Cheers.

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
Nothing is ever free, it’s paid by the taxpayers, so please stop referring it as “ free”. On my tax return there a little line that says how much I have to pay to the Ontario Government for Health Services . It goes into a big pot and pays for services
Yes, community health centers help people without OHIP, even for free sometimes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm helping people.
I know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm knowledgeable and authorized to share that information.
Ontario government does that every day .
If you have a problem, it is not our problem.
You can request aban, but not the truth.
We will still share that information.
Cheers.
It is very dangerous to promise someone medical care before they arrive in Toronto especially without knowing about them. Economic immigrants may not qualify because they have the financial resource available, and the free or subsidized clinics are under extreme pressure so it may be hard to get an appointment. There are only a few clinics to serve Toronto for example. Often the clinics depend on volunteer time by medical professionals. I have never heard of a hospital providing half price birth and every hospital bills differently. People should anticipate paying the full cost of a labour and delivery and also have enough savings for complications. Needing a c-section is a common complication but there are many others which can easily double the cost of a delivery. Ontario is also going through an overhaul of their healthcare. Would imagine that free services for those without OHIP are high up on the chopping block. When deciding whether you should come to Canada while you are pregnant and without OHIP you need to be prepared to pay all your costs. If you are able to access some free or subsidized services that is great but you can't count on them.

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
It is very dangerous to promise someone medical care before they arrive in Toronto especially without knowing about them. Economic immigrants may not qualify because they have the financial resource available, and the free or subsidized clinics are under extreme pressure so it may be hard to get an appointment. There are only a few clinics to serve Toronto for example. Often the clinics depend on volunteer time by medical professionals. I have never heard of a hospital providing half price birth and every hospital bills differently. People should anticipate paying the full cost of a labour and delivery and also have enough savings for complications. Needing a c-section is a common complication but there are many others which can easily double the cost of a delivery. Ontario is also going through an overhaul of their healthcare. Would imagine that free services for those without OHIP are high up on the chopping block. When deciding whether you should come to Canada while you are pregnant and without OHIP you need to be prepared to pay all your costs. If you are able to access some free or subsidized services that is great but you can't count on them.
No, you can't, however, there is a help, specifically from community health centers, and that is not a secret.
whoever is lucky, get help.
the waiting list is long.
If you or anybody is confused they can call for clarifications.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, you can't, however, there is a help, specifically from community health centers, and that is not a secret.
whoever is lucky, get help.
the waiting list is long.
If you or anybody is confused they can call for clarifications.
When deciding if you should arrive in Canada pregnant you need assurances not just luck especially if you don't have enough savings to pay for the cost of care. Even if you had the money but it would consume a good chunk of your savings you need guarantees to prepare. Your previous postings were overly positive and didn't point out that there will be long waiting lists, etc. Encouraging pregnant women to come to Ontario and you'll have no problems getting free healthcare without OHIP is not the full picture. Free services, if available, would only involve clinic visits not tests or hospital visits.

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
My older post is separating , free services or low rates from clinics and doctors referred to you from health community center, than hospital arrangements for half price months before delivery.
It applies to residents waiting for their status while in Canada. Not to visitors.
I've clarified that.
it is luck if you don't have to wait months to have your appointment with the health community center . I have clarified that too.
OHIP don't pay a role until your eligibility date.
This is not a secret.
When you decide to be here and you're pregnant there is some support out there, but that doesn't mean you are not paying.
I've clarified that too.
This is not a secret.
It is an advice immigrants get every day they call for help.
Cheers

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My older post is separating , free services or low rates from clinics and doctors referred to you from health community center, than hospital arrangements for half price months before delivery.
It applies to residents waiting for their status while in Canada. Not to visitors.
I've clarified that.
it is luck if you don't have to wait months to have your appointment with the health community center . I have clarified that too.
OHIP don't pay a role until your eligibility date.
This is not a secret.
When you decide to be here and you're pregnant there is some support out there, but that doesn't mean you are not paying.
I've clarified that too.
This is not a secret.
It is an advice immigrants get every day they call for help.
Cheers
Appreciate that you have altered your posts. Many on this forum are deciding whether to come to Canada before the birth or not so knowing whether they have to pay or not will factor into their decision. Thinking they can easily access free services before receiving OHIP could be their deciding factor. Even in the best of times Canadians are aware they will be likely face wait times but people new to Canada may be expecting easy access to health professionals.

Guiders

May 30, 2014
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-07-2014
Doc's Request.
CC charged on 03-11-2014
AOR Received.
PER 29-01-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
09-03-2015
Med's Done....
16-03-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Visa issued on 02-04-2015. Passport received on 30-04-2015
LANDED..........
16-09-2015
Not sure why such a fuss here. I can share my experience.
My wife and I came to land in Toronto and wanted to come back after our baby is born. Only after going back, we got to know if baby is born out of Canada - it will take longer time to apply for visa and other hassles. So within a month we came back to Toronto.

No OHIP, no insurance, no family, no friends, no guidance. We always wanted midwife so we contacted one of the midwives and found that midwivery services are "free" (or as someone said above - tax payers pay). Note - only their consultations are "free" - all tests/ultrasounds are charged to the patients.

We however had to pay for hospital stay and tests ($2,000 for 2 days - delivery, stay and tests).

Reactions: jamaru and Elbagurl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure why such a fuss here. I can share my experience.
My wife and I came to land in Toronto and wanted to come back after our baby is born. Only after going back, we got to know if baby is born out of Canada - it will take longer time to apply for visa and other hassles. So within a month we came back to Toronto.

No OHIP, no insurance, no family, no friends, no guidance. We always wanted midwife so we contacted one of the midwives and found that midwivery services are "free" (or as someone said above - tax payers pay). We however had to pay for hospital stay and tests ($2,000 for 2 days - delivery, stay and tests).
Most midwives have full practices and so somehow you got lucky and were able to get a spot. Many Ontario women get turned down because midwifery practices are full. Also there is the ethics of using healthcare services while not being a taxpayer especially when other Ontario families are being turned away. I assume a woman had complications later on in their pregnancy and had to move to an OB and most women delivering in that month had already moved over to an OB and hadn't realized a spot had opened up. I would expect this loophole to be closed soon.