+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy - is 3 months wait removed for OIHP

marketstudent1

Star Member
Sep 19, 2016
Hi all,

We are new PR holders coming back after doing a soft landing last year.

Do we have to wait for 3 months for Pregnancy hospitalisation benefits or is that also been exempted?

Also could someone kindly guide us the hospitals, process etc in GTA area.

Thank you!

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First get the Health card. Then register for family physician. FP will help you select hospital and gynaecologist. Visit gyne as per schedule. When the date comes, go to hospital and deliver.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume you will be remaining in Canada for over 6 months? There are residency rules for OHIP of you can be asked to pay back all the healthcare services you have used. Yes 3 month is still waived but won't be waived forever.

Reactions: mashulia_26

marketstudent1

Star Member
Sep 19, 2016
Thank You for the reply.

However, what I meant is that if we land at 7th Month of pregnancy, will we be covered by OIHP, considering it will be less than 3 months of stay?

As per announcement it says that 3 months wait period is not required anymore for OIHP. Does it apply for the above case of pregnancy as well?

Thanks a lot!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank You for the reply.

However, what I meant is that if we land at 7th Month of pregnancy, will we be covered by OIHP, considering it will be less than 3 months of stay?

As per announcement it says that 3 months wait period is not required anymore for OIHP. Does it apply for the above case of pregnancy as well?

Thanks a lot!
Yes, it applies to all OHIP coverage right now.

marketstudent1

Star Member
Sep 19, 2016
Yes, it applies to all OHIP coverage right now.
Thanks could you let me know if we can contact the hospitals before landing to get the rates, appointment and all details in order to avoid any last minute rush?

We both are PR holders did soft landing last year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank You for the reply.

Thanks a lot!
When are you planning on coming to Canada and are you moving to Ontario permanently?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, I will be coming permanently. Even though I need to find a job, I know I'll have to stick in Ontario if I utilize OIHP.

I will land in January.
So unless things change by January you will have OHIP. You can try to call around to find a GP but you'll have plenty of time to do this during your 2 weeks in quaratine. Your GP will usually have some idea what OBs are accepting patients are your OB has privileges in certain hospitals so he/she will tell you where to deliver. Due to covid spouses are not allowed in most appoiNTments. You are currently still allowed one person in the labour and delivery room. Would warn you that you don't quality for maternity leave payments because you never worked in Canada. Given covid it may tough finding jobs so I would make sure you have a decent amount of savngs in case your spouse remains unemployed for 6+ months. Daycare can be tough to find is expensive, although these are strange times so demand may have changed, I would start looking for daycare and put yourself on some waiting list if/when you plan to return to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: marketstudent1