+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy for mother under student visa and father with PR

javisam376

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
Hello,

I am a permanent resident residing in Quebec with a valid RAMQ and my common law partner is under a student visa withour RAMQ and we are expecting a baby. We started contacting Quebec CISSS and it seems if the mother doesn't have RAMQ we cannot get their services. I also got under the waiting list for a family doctor indicating I am pregant (I plan to explain the situation if they contact me before the baby is born) but I understand that can take several months, if not years.

Does anybody know which options we have to ensure we get some help from the government for the pregnancy? In case it is relevant we already started the PR process for the mother a few months ago.

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I am a permanent resident residing in Quebec with a valid RAMQ and my common law partner is under a student visa withour RAMQ and we are expecting a baby. We started contacting Quebec CISSS and it seems if the mother doesn't have RAMQ we cannot get their services. I also got under the waiting list for a family doctor indicating I am pregant (I plan to explain the situation if they contact me before the baby is born) but I understand that can take several months, if not years.

Does anybody know which options we have to ensure we get some help from the government for the pregnancy? In case it is relevant we already started the PR process for the mother a few months ago.

Thank you.
Unfortunately your common law partner will not be covered under RAMQ. You’ll need to pay out of pocket