+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PREGNANCY during INLAND spouse sponsorship process

moni_can

Oct 25, 2013
Hi GG_wife,

I was in the same situation as you. I got pregnant right after submitting our inland application and had to pay the prenatal check-ups from our own pocket. At first we didn't have any family doctor but my husband decided to research on which hospital we wanted to deliver our baby at and we registered to a family doctor that is related to the hospital. We then asked her to refer us to the OB that help deliver in the hospital. I wonder where you're located at in ON? If you're near Markham, you could approach Health For All clinic at Markham Stouffville Hospital. They won't refuse you if you didn't have any OHIP and if you decided to give birth in the hospital, you can schedule a tour to see the birthing facility :)

Oh and for the side note, the OB check ups are not that pricey, I think we paid $40 for each visit (sorry, my brain doesn't remember well these days, only baby baby baby in my head the whole day haha)

I hope you're doing well in your pregnancy :)

hillaryh

Star Member
Jun 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 5, 2015
Doc's Request.
Oct 23,2015
AOR Received.
June 3, 2015
File Transfer...
July 6, 2015
Med's Done....
May 3, 2015
LANDED..........
DM- Dec 6, 2015
thank you for sharing readingbeach27!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Mimir said:
Please read my first post about the pregnancy insurance CAREFULLY before posting the hasty comments: I was able to find and purchase the insurance for my wife that covers the potential pregnancy issues in Canada AFTER the pregnancy occurred (or, using the same clumsy comparison - AFTER the car crash), and recommended it here, because I know how hard it is to find the proper information. Pregnancy issues are covered up with this plan to the 31st week of pregnancy (so by the end of the 7th month), and the plan can be purchased after the pregnancy has started.
I suggest you go back and read your own post. You stated that insurance companies don't want to cover a woman after she is already pregnant. I explained why.

Mimir

Jul 21, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
I suggest you go back and read your own post. You stated that insurance companies don't want to cover a woman after she is already pregnant. I explained why.
This was my first post:
GG_wife (and other happy future moms who need it), you can use the Travel Guard's "SILVER VISITORS TO CANADA" plan - it covers pregnancy related emergencies, but ONLY up to the 31st week of pregnancy period. I used this plan for my wife (150,000 CAD coverage) until we didn't get OHIP. You can purchase it before or after you get pregnant.

Again: Please read my first post about the pregnancy insurance CAREFULLY before posting the hasty comments.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Mimir said:
This was my first post:
GG_wife (and other happy future moms who need it), you can use the Travel Guard's "SILVER VISITORS TO CANADA" plan - it covers pregnancy related emergencies, but ONLY up to the 31st week of pregnancy period. I used this plan for my wife (150,000 CAD coverage) until we didn't get OHIP. You can purchase it before or after you get pregnant.

Again: Please read my first post about the pregnancy insurance CAREFULLY before posting the hasty comments.
AGAIN, I was responding to this statement made by you:

Mimir said:
the insurance company wants you to buy the pregnancy insurance before the actual pregnancy, which is incredibly stupid in my opinion
I explained why insurance companies don't want to cover pregnancy. I never said that EVERY SINGLE D**M insurance company doesn't cover pregnancy,nor that it was impossible to get coverage while pregnant. AGAIN, if you go back and read my post, you'll see that.

hillaryh

Star Member
Jun 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 5, 2015
Doc's Request.
Oct 23,2015
AOR Received.
June 3, 2015
File Transfer...
July 6, 2015
Med's Done....
May 3, 2015
LANDED..........
DM- Dec 6, 2015
readingbeach27-

May I ask who you are using as an OBGYN who is allowing you to pay out of pocket? I am also in the toronto area and my birth control has run out and would like to find someone who can refill it for me.

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
moni_can said:
Hi GG_wife,

I was in the same situation as you. I got pregnant right after submitting our inland application and had to pay the prenatal check-ups from our own pocket. At first we didn't have any family doctor but my husband decided to research on which hospital we wanted to deliver our baby at and we registered to a family doctor that is related to the hospital. We then asked her to refer us to the OB that help deliver in the hospital. I wonder where you're located at in ON? If you're near Markham, you could approach Health For All clinic at Markham Stouffville Hospital. They won't refuse you if you didn't have any OHIP and if you decided to give birth in the hospital, you can schedule a tour to see the birthing facility :)

Oh and for the side note, the OB check ups are not that pricey, I think we paid $40 for each visit (sorry, my brain doesn't remember well these days, only baby baby baby in my head the whole day haha)

thank you very much for your insight! I was thinking to take a similar route, but I am in Ottawa.

all the best with your baby :) and thanks again:)

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
moni_can said:
Hi GG_wife,

One more question, it is more related about the CIC process to report change.

So we are in the same boat, I got pregnant after we sent in my application. On form IMM5285 there is a question whether the applicant or sponsor is pregnant or not. The answer was obviously no at that time, but now it has changed, so I asked around in this forum what was the best way to let CIC know.

I was referred to a link where you can message CIC about important changes in your status, so I did and I also sent a snail mail from the physician who examined me at 12 the week.

this is the link: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?_ga=1.54196655.643377795.1417130213

what method did you use to let CIC know that you are pregnant?
thanks!

moni_can

Oct 25, 2013
GG_wife said:
One more question, it is more related about the CIC process to report change.

So we are in the same boat, I got pregnant after we sent in my application. On form IMM5285 there is a question whether the applicant or sponsor is pregnant or not. The answer was obviously no at that time, but now it has changed, so I asked around in this forum what was the best way to let CIC know.

I was referred to a link where you can message CIC about important changes in your status, so I did and I also sent a snail mail from the physician who examined me at 12 the week.

what method did you use to let CIC know that you are pregnant?
thanks!
Hi GG_wife,

I updated CIC after I gave birth to my son. My lawyer asked me to fill in form IMM5406 or the Additional Family Information form and send him a copy of the baby's birth certificate. I didn't use the link you posted. From previous experience with my other forms, I assumed he prepared a cover letter explaining my birthing condition and sent it together with the birth certificate and the updated IMM5406.

Looking at the link you sent, it seems you can also provide them with the copy of birth certificate since you are allowed to upload documents.

Oh and for the record, get the birth certificate ordered ASAP after her birth cuz it'll take a few weeks for you to get it in the mail. You'll need the birth certificate to apply for the baby's OHIP too. Unfortunately, since we are not PR/CAN citizen, the baby won't immediately get the temporary OHIP after her birth and parents have to go Service ON to apply in person :-[

Hope this helps :)

hillaryh said:
readingbeach27-

May I ask who you are using as an OBGYN who is allowing you to pay out of pocket? I am also in the toronto area and my birth control has run out and would like to find someone who can refill it for me.
Hi hillaryh,
I assume you're inquiring abt my OB since you're in GTA :) I was referred to Dr. Kersti Ranken at Markham Stouffville Hospital. I think you're not supposed to go to OB directly unless you get referral from your family physician, right? I could be wrong hehe but yeah, that's her name ;)

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
moni_can said:
Oh and for the record, get the birth certificate ordered ASAP after her birth cuz it'll take a few weeks for you to get it in the mail. You'll need the birth certificate to apply for the baby's OHIP too. Unfortunately, since we are not PR/CAN citizen, the baby won't immediately get the temporary OHIP after her birth and parents have to go Service ON to apply in person :-[

Hope this helps :)
thanks!! this helps big time. I did not know that you still need to apply for the baby's OHIP and it is not automatic. I assumed since the baby is Canadian citizen they would get it right away without application. So does this mean the baby will be uninsured during the first three months of his/her life, b/c it takes 90 days I believe to receive the OHIP when you apply for it. Plus the few weeks while waiting for the birth certificate...
How does that work?

thanks again for your insight it is very valuable! :)

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
GG_wife said:
Hello,

I do not see a thread dedicated to this topic yet, however I suspect there are many couples affected by the gaps in the spouse sponsorship process while expecting a baby.

Mainly it is the lack of health coverage for those who are on visitor or pilot program OWP (case type 27), not having a family doctor/ midwife b/c of lack of health card etc.

This discussion is opened to help each other to find solution to our common problems, to vent and keep company for each other.

Let me start with my story, we are at the beginning of our sponsorship application. It was sent to CIC at the end of March 2015, I got my pilot OWP on July 15. Since to the pilot OWP holders Service Canada will not issue health card, I can not get a family doctor or midwife to provide prenatal care. The Community Health Center system will not take me either b/c I am not a refugee, nor on social welfare, I am just simply uninsured by Service Canada.Also there is no private insurance company which covers pregnancy, so buying my own insurance I could use in the Canadian health system is a dead-end as well.

Since my first pregnancy related medical exam and blood work was due to at 12 weeks of the pregnancy, I went a walk in clinic. There I paid for the doctors consultation and the blood work, however it will not provide me continuous prenatal care, I will not know which are the upcoming checkups I would need to do and it does not answer my greatest question where and by whose help my baby will be born.

I am still in the process to figure all these things out so if you have been or are in this situation please post your stories, so we could figure out the answers to ourselves and help each other.
Hi GG_wife thanks for this thread you've created. I'm also inland applicant, applied on June 1, 2015. I'm lucky that I have OHIP since I'm full time permanent employee. Wish you could have get same facility. sorry for you. In this situation anyone need OHIP badly. I noticed on July first week i'm pregnant.

MY CIC STATUS BELLOW:

Application type : Open
BG Check : In Progress
Medical :passed
FINAL Decision : Not Started

My question is

1. I guess, I have to inform CIC the news.

2. will my application processing time delay due to pregnancy. I was not pregnant while I submitted PR application.

Thanks in advance for your help.

moni_can

Oct 25, 2013
[/quote]
GG_wife said:
thanks!! this helps big time. I did not know that you still need to apply for the baby's OHIP and it is not automatic. I assumed since the baby is Canadian citizen they would get it right away without application. So does this mean the baby will be uninsured during the first three months of his/her life, b/c it takes 90 days I believe to receive the OHIP when you apply for it. Plus the few weeks while waiting for the birth certificate...
How does that work?

Hi GG_wife,

Yeah, even when my husband is a PR, the patient/mother is not, that's why they can't apply OHIP on the behalf of the non-resident mother since until the baby gets his CAN birth certificate, he's considered non-Canadian. I think that's best to explain in cuz my son was called baby "mother surname" when they tagged him.

Oh, once you've gotten the OHIP application going, Service ON will give you a piece of temporary OHIP no. that you can use to go to the doctor and the card will come afterwards.

The tricky part I guess is the first visit to the doctor after you're discharged and you don't have the temporary OHIP no. yet. We were lucky that our family doctor office acknowledged the fact that he was delivered in Canada, so they put a note on his account and not charged us. The doctor office updated their record when we updated them of my son's OHIP no. I'm not sure if that's what other doctor offices would do cuz technically you can argue that the child will eventually be covered by OHIP and the letters from the hospital where you give birth could back your case.

Hopefully you get the same ease too :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
GG_wife said:
Assuming the father is residing in Ontario and has OHIP, the baby should be covered from birth without any need to apply at a Service Ontario office with the birth certificate.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/eligibility_2.aspx

iceberge said:
1. I guess, I have to inform CIC the news.

2. will my application processing time delay due to pregnancy. I was not pregnant while I submitted PR application.
1. You are not required to inform CIC of your pregnancy. It makes no difference to the app. You are only required to inform them of the actual birth.

2. There will be no delay.

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
1. You are not required to inform CIC of your pregnancy. It makes no difference to the app. You are only required to inform them of the actual birth.

2. There will be no delay.
HI canuck_in_uk sorry for lately thaking you. You've cleared my confusion. Appreciate your help.

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
moni_can said:

Hi GG_wife,

Yeah, even when my husband is a PR, the patient/mother is not, that's why they can't apply OHIP on the behalf of the non-resident mother since until the baby gets his CAN birth certificate, he's considered non-Canadian. I think that's best to explain in cuz my son was called baby "mother surname" when they tagged him.

Oh, once you've gotten the OHIP application going, Service ON will give you a piece of temporary OHIP no. that you can use to go to the doctor and the card will come afterwards.

The tricky part I guess is the first visit to the doctor after you're discharged and you don't have the temporary OHIP no. yet. We were lucky that our family doctor office acknowledged the fact that he was delivered in Canada, so they put a note on his account and not charged us. The doctor office updated their record when we updated them of my son's OHIP no. I'm not sure if that's what other doctor offices would do cuz technically you can argue that the child will eventually be covered by OHIP and the letters from the hospital where you give birth could back your case.

Hopefully you get the same ease too :)
thanks, this is good to know. so it looks both you and your spouse are PR correct? My husband is Canadian citizen, so looks like b/c of that the baby will get his/her OHIP right away.