+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PREGNANCY during INLAND spouse sponsorship process

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
Hello,

I do not see a thread dedicated to this topic yet, however I suspect there are many couples affected by the gaps in the spouse sponsorship process while expecting a baby.

Mainly it is the lack of health coverage for those who are on visitor or pilot program OWP (case type 27), not having a family doctor/ midwife b/c of lack of health card etc.

This discussion is opened to help each other to find solution to our common problems, to vent and keep company for each other.

Let me start with my story, we are at the beginning of our sponsorship application. It was sent to CIC at the end of March 2015, I got my pilot OWP on July 15. Since to the pilot OWP holders Service Canada will not issue health card, I can not get a family doctor or midwife to provide prenatal care. The Community Health Center system will not take me either b/c I am not a refugee, nor on social welfare, I am just simply uninsured by Service Canada.Also there is no private insurance company which covers pregnancy, so buying my own insurance I could use in the Canadian health system is a dead-end as well.

Since my first pregnancy related medical exam and blood work was due to at 12 weeks of the pregnancy, I went a walk in clinic. There I paid for the doctors consultation and the blood work, however it will not provide me continuous prenatal care, I will not know which are the upcoming checkups I would need to do and it does not answer my greatest question where and by whose help my baby will be born.

I am still in the process to figure all these things out so if you have been or are in this situation please post your stories, so we could figure out the answers to ourselves and help each other.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
GG_wife said:
I am just simply uninsured by Service Canada.
Service Canada has nothing to do with the health care system; it is a federal office. Health care is under the control of the provincial government.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Am I right in understanding that if you are a pilot OWP holder and have a full time job, you can in fact qualify for OHIP?

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Service Canada has nothing to do with the health care system; it is a federal office. Health care is under the control of the provincial government.

ok thanks, for the correction, I will keep it in mind :)
It does not change though the main struggle that in spite of I am married to a Canadian and my child will be a Canadian there is no coverage for me and I am turned down by midwives and family doctors (even though I specifically say I would pay for the services) b/c I do not have health coverage.

GurpreetDhadda

Feb 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2015
AOR Received.
24-04-2015
File Transfer...
21-05-2015
Med's Request
Remedical request 02-02-2016
Med's Done....
02-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2016
scylla said:
Am I right in understanding that if you are a pilot OWP holder and have a full time job, you can in fact qualify for OHIP?
Just to add on your point, the worker must be employed full-time for an employer in Ontario for a minimum of 6 months.

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
scylla said:
you cannot qualify regardless if you have full time job or not with OWP case type 27, which is the pilot OWP, it will not make you eligible for OHIP. Only the regular OWP does which is case type 20, but you will not get that through the pilot program, you get case type 27.

You can read stories on these two threads INLAND APPLICATIONS 2015 and one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

Members even utilized their MPs for help, they still weren't able to receive OHIP. Ontario and Quebec is following this practice for sure, I am waiting for others to confirm from other provinces.

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
GurpreetDhadda said:
Just to add on your point, the worker must be employed full-time for an employer in Ontario for a minimum of 6 months.
thanks for the note, but unfortunately it is not correct according what ppl are experiencing.
(which province did you see this working?)

just two examples from the other threads

A story from Quebec:
"I brought my OWP and passport to Quebec Health Insurance (RAMQ) today.
The officer said they would not issued a health insurance card for type 27 OWP, even i had an employer and a 6 months (or more) contract.
It will take both CIC and Quebec government's approval of my sponsor being eligible, which I guess it will be one year from now."

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/inland-applications-2015-t255107.1035.html

A story from Ontario

"If you have a type 27 work permit you *can not* get OHIP.

Trust me on this, I've tried and have spent months going between the MPP's, the MP's, Service Canada, the Service Canada call center, and Health Ontario.
Half of the people involved actually know what's going on, vaguely, but you can't get OHIP with a type 27 work permit, regardless of full-time-job status."

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/inland-applications-2015-t255107.1035.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
GG_wife said:
you cannot qualify regardless if you have full time job or not with OWP case type 27, which is the pilot OWP, it will not make you eligible for OHIP. Only the regular OWP does which is case type 20, but you will not get that through the pilot program, you get case type 27.

You can read stories on these two threads INLAND APPLICATIONS 2015 and one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

Members even utilized their MPs for help, they still weren't able to receive OHIP. Ontario and Quebec is following this practice for sure, I am waiting for others to confirm from other provinces.
Got it - that sucks...

Gemmie

Nov 10, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-05-2015
AOR Received.
30-06-2015/SA 17-08-2015
File Transfer...
20-08-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
23-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
21-01-2016
In Ontario Midwife services are free and also provided to women who do not have OHIP

Complications that require hospital services would have to be paid out of pocket and that can range in the thousands.

What does it cost to use a midwife?

Midwifery services are completely funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, so women do not pay for care out-of-pocket. Women who are not currently covered by OHIP can still receive free midwifery care.
- See more at: http://www.ontariomidwives.ca/midwife/q-a#sthash.042n2KjJ.dpuf

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
scylla said:
Got it - that sucks...
While it sucks...the reality is that health care falls under provincial jurisdiction. Ontario and Quebec does have full say on who can qualify. Using OWP case 27 allows federal government to intrude in provinces' say on who can get health care.

In theory, despite working and having OWP case 27, one can still be disqualified at AIP stage. Thus it means that the applicant wasn't entitled to health care in the first place. The applicant is still "technically" in Canada temporary awaiting to be qualified for PR processing. A few applicants (a few admitted on this forum) wanted to apply for OWP for the only sake of getting health coverage before AIP stage, nothing more. This is to prevent a loophole in getting coverage.

Those on pilot OWP case 27 will have to wait until they reached AIP stage before qualifying for coverage. AIP stage is the only stage that can confirm that the applicant is in fact staying permanently. This is the stage whereby ontario / quebec wants proof of.

chris1302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i was first told by OHIP that one can get ohip if they are employed FT.
So basically my husband has been here for over a year, he has finally started working a few months ago. We live here we spend our money in canada and he will not qualify for Ohip until AIP (which is taking approx 16 months) this is a f$%^ing joke. We as canadians want to bring our partners here a legit way live in canada,work,spend money and we have to wait.
Where others come in with an whole army behind them and get everything for free.

chris1302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GG_wife said:
Hello,

I do not see a thread dedicated to this topic yet, however I suspect there are many couples affected by the gaps in the spouse sponsorship process while expecting a baby.

Mainly it is the lack of health coverage for those who are on visitor or pilot program OWP (case type 27), not having a family doctor/ midwife b/c of lack of health card etc.

This discussion is opened to help each other to find solution to our common problems, to vent and keep company for each other.

I feel awful that you are in this situation, and no one can do anything about it. I wuold be freggin livid

Let me start with my story, we are at the beginning of our sponsorship application. It was sent to CIC at the end of March 2015, I got my pilot OWP on July 15. Since to the pilot OWP holders Service Canada will not issue health card, I can not get a family doctor or midwife to provide prenatal care. The Community Health Center system will not take me either b/c I am not a refugee, nor on social welfare, I am just simply uninsured by Service Canada.Also there is no private insurance company which covers pregnancy, so buying my own insurance I could use in the Canadian health system is a dead-end as well.

Since my first pregnancy related medical exam and blood work was due to at 12 weeks of the pregnancy, I went a walk in clinic. There I paid for the doctors consultation and the blood work, however it will not provide me continuous prenatal care, I will not know which are the upcoming checkups I would need to do and it does not answer my greatest question where and by whose help my baby will be born.

I am still in the process to figure all these things out so if you have been or are in this situation please post your stories, so we could figure out the answers to ourselves and help each other.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Gemmie said:
In Ontario Midwife services are free and also provided to women who do not have OHIP

Complications that require hospital services would have to be paid out of pocket and that can range in the thousands.

Midwifery services are completely funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, so women do not pay for care out-of-pocket. Women who are not currently covered by OHIP can still receive free midwifery care.
+1 for this. Get a midwife. They are in very high demand so hopefully you get one. My wife and I and many of our friends, even though we all have OHIP we all elected to use a midwife due to the greater personal care they provide during pregnancy, delivery, and follow-up care afterwards.

Will be a fraction of the cost vs using doctors if paying out of pocket.

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
Gemmie said:

yes, thanks for passing on this, hopefully it can help some!

In my case I called all midwifery services when I was only 12 days(!) pregnant in Ottawa and none of them were able to take me, they were all booked for 2016 January when we are expecting our baby to arrive, so it is not an option for me unfortunatelly.